Arrived today

adjman

My FAC was on the mat waiting for me this evening!

I had emailed Sussex as it had gone back in at the start of November after completing DSC1 and they said 15 week wait. When I very politely advised them that I had been waiting since July as I had been asked to achieve DSC1 before re-submitting my application they advised they would get it done as soon as they could. I wasn't expecting it to be here a week later!

I have got the high seat condition, despite having DSC1, but I have learnt from earlier experiences not to rock the boat and to just be patient, once I have grassed a few deer and got some proper experience I shall submit records/supporting info and request the condition is removed.

This does mean however I can finally go and purchase the rifle I have had a deposit on since July (lucky to have an understanding RFD) and bring it home, very pleased, impressed with Sussex Firearms Team and can't wait to get out and try the new rifle! :)

"The .22 rifle and sound moderator .243 rifle and sound moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin fox deer from high seats and for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot"

So both rifles can only be used from high seats or for zeroing.

There is no explanation of what I do if I wound a deer and it runs into an area where there is not a high seat and I need to fire a despatching shot. I suppose I pop home and get my shotgun with some SSG cartridges and use that (sarcasm)

I am not going to argue though as that will not get me anywhere, patience will out and in 6 months or so (experience permitting) I shall apply with some supporting info and request the conditions are removed.

Full marks to your FEO for imagination... How do they come up with them?

shooting vermin from a high seat :rofl:

Will Sussex Police be providing the high seats? I can't see how they can impose this condition unless there is a serious safety issue with you or the land you have named, if this was the case then I'm surprised they granted the FAC in the first place?

if i read that right that means that if you go anywhere you can only shoot from seats. do you also zero on the land using a seat. you have your dsc1 so you have shown you are commited ,i would send it back and complain its un workable like you have just pointed out what if you get a runner and have to move

Was granted my FAC this year by Essex. None of the High seat only BS, just an accompanied condition which they removed when i passed DSC1 a month or so later.
It amazes me the difference in conditions from force to force - bit of a post-code lottery!

Scott country are doing a portable back pack high seat that will be just the job mate:rofl:.
Im sorry but but your statement not to rock the boat makes it even harder for the next applicant, you have nothing to lose now the certificate is in your possession,
A word with BASC or whoever you are with, then a nice polite but firm letter to the chief constable would be the best course of action:banghead:.
All joking aside if you are caught using your firearms on land and dont have a high seat you run the risk of losing your certificate.
In effect the conditions imposed are unreasonable and restrictive to the point that you cannot use your firearms, see the home office guidelines on this.
Have fun with the new rifle mate:thumb:.
Sinbad

Adj that to me reads as shooting from high seats OR land deemed suitable by police worth asking the question i would have thought!

Last edited:
Adj that to me reads as shooting from high seats OR land deemed suitable by police worth asking the question i would have thought!

Reading it again i'm inclined to agree! So looks open (high seat only) or closed if you wish to ground stalk!

You can make it mean all sorts of things by inserting some punctuation!
Put a comma after "fox" and it makes a little more sense, although it still gives the impression you can use both the .22 and the .243 for deer...

When does a seat become a high seat, is there actually a police standard for a high seat, is a bar stool a high seat,

When does a seat become a high seat, is there actually a police standard for a high seat, is a bar stool a high seat,
working at hight reg will have to be consulted by the police adding 8 weeks , so settle for a bar stool ,and get letting some rounds off

I think they may have invested money in a "random condition generator" on the computers at Sussex that randomly stuff together various conditions to come up with each persons new FAC ;)

I have already tried rocking the boat, that didn't go well. PM me if you would like that explained further - not about to start it on a public forum again ;)

The "OR" in the statement does make it a little open to interpretaion, I think I will just be careful, take my time and get some good experience and knowledge under my belt and collect evidence along the way - 6-8 months down the line I can apply for the conditions to be removed provided I have enough evidence to support that.

if i read that right that means that if you go anywhere you can only shoot from seats. do you also zero on the land using a seat. you have your dsc1 so you have shown you are commited ,i would send it back and complain its un workable like you have just pointed out what if you get a runner and have to move

mereside

if this condition becomes mainstream your going to be a busy man. This time next year rodders.

pete

mereside

if this condition becomes mainstream your going to be a busy man. This time next year rodders.

pete

ha ha waiting in anticipation,
but would not want this condition on people,like another poster said if you do not challange or ask about this condition you will make it harder for others to follow,why is it rocking the boat if you dont want unworkable conditions added. I can see the need for some seats in areas of no backstop or flat ground but i would be asking the question to be clarified and not just presuming you can because if they interprit it different it could mean your cert gets revoked if you are reading it different to them. If it is written exactly as you put it it could mean all sorts of things ,definately worth checking and having in writing exactly what they mean atb and good luck,wayne

I did miss one important bit from the conditions:
"THE (I) .22 RIFLE & SOUND MODERATOR (IIA & IIB) .243 RIFLE & SOUND MODERATOR AND AMMUNITION SHALL BE USED FOR SHOOTING (I) VERMIN (IIA) FOX (IIB) DEER
FROM HIGH SEATS: AND FOR ZEROING ON RANGES, OR LAND DEEMED SUITABLE BY THE CHIEF OFFICER OF POLICE FOR THE AREA WHERE THE LAND IS SITUATED AND OVER
WHICH THE HOLDER HAS LAWFUL AUTHORITY TO SHOOT"

However that still doesn't answer the question of whether I have to use the .22 from a high seat - I've dropped Sussex an email to double check that I comply with the conditions they have set.

to me it also does'nt say whether your ground is highseat only or it is passed as suitable by chief officer of police but reading between the lines it might only be safe from a highseat but i wouldnt want to just guess,atb wayne

to me it also does'nt say whether your ground is highseat only or it is passed as suitable by chief officer of police but reading between the lines it might only be safe from a highseat but i wouldnt want to just guess,atb wayne

I know the land is cleared as there are a couple of other chaps already stalking there with .308 and another chap who visits to zero his .243

The really useful thing is there are no high seats on the ground so I will either have to build some or just shoot on other land that does have high seats - to be honest I will be happy to learn my stalking using estate rifles on paid stalks for the time being, as I said before once I have enough evidence (letters, receipts, stalking diary etc) I shall go back to Sussex and ask for the condition to be removed. Not really a big hassle in the grand scheme of things :)

Back