Thread: Complete novice alert... prepare for the stupid questions!

Complete novice alert... prepare for the stupid questions!

Hi all,

All my shooting experience thus far has been limited to shotguns I'm afraid. however I was lucky enough to be invited along on a stalk in Slovakia a few weeks back, but only as an observer. Anyway, it inspired me enough to book myself onto one of BASC's Forest Enterprise Stalking Scheme's stalks (Kings Forest) which I am looking forward to attending on Monday. I hope from there I can start to build up my experience and would welcome any views on the best way to build up experience and confidence with a view to putting in for my FAC in the new year.

All the best,

Welcome to the site. There's a wealth of info and experience on here (almost none of it mine ).

Your best plan is to watch and read and do a search on anything that you may want to know as it has probably been covered before.
    Best wishes and ask away.

You won't go wrong with Des on Monday, good chap, and plenty of deer on the ground round there. Good luck, look forward to seeing the write up......

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Hello James and welcome to the SD,

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

I'd recommend dong a couple of stalks to see if you think you might 'get into it', and then think seriously about booking for a DSC1 course. I had only done a couple before I did my level one and found that I learned loads on the course. (Jelen do an excellent online learning thingy if you do think of going to DSC route.

There is no such thing as a stupid question just an answer you haven't found yet

There is no such thing as a stupid question mate, and never be afraid to ask.
    You may well get the odd stupid answer though on here!
    Welcome aboard!

Drat - MS got there before me!

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your visits ask away and just ignore the 'usual suspects'. Despite odd spat, people here have their heart in the right place and newcomers to the sport are our most important asset.
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016

Hi James,

Well done for coming onto a great site.
    I was in a similar position to you some years ago and had been itching to get out stalking but had little knowledge and no opportunity!

I decided to take a pre-DSC1 course as its cheaper, less paperwork etc to 'test the water', to do a bit of shooting and help me make my mind up. I loved it so went on to do DSC1, did some supervised culling, went on some accompanied stalks etc to get some additional paperwork to support my FAC application and then managed to get some shooting rights.
    The DSC1 seems to be evolving in the eyes of some firearms departments, as a baseline to guide their granting of permissions and to influence the conditions they put on the licence. Whether that is right and proper is a source of some debate on and off the forum, but its increasingly a fact of life!
    As an experienced shotgun user you'll have security anyway but good luck with your application and I would suggest you went off to do some shooting, get the DSC1 and THEN put the application in. Oh and joint one of the shooting organisations BASC SACS etc etc who will support you if you have any problems.
    There are plenty of opportunities on the forum for both the DSC and some shooting with estate rifles and, as has been mentioned previously, Mike at Jelen deer can provide you with all of that and more.

If its closer to you Corinium are running a course in the new year.

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range

Good luck and welcome.

damnant quodnon intelligunt