LIDL NV add on project!

bewsher500

I like this thing, cheap and cheerful, good clear picture but it is too long and too high mag for use as an add
on
I have a yukon 22mm lens which works well to bring it down to x1.5 or so

I decided to strip one of the unit and found the guts are very compact. With digital lenses the packaging need not be so long :

IMG_48081.jpg

so I nipped into Maplin for a component box, drilled three holes in it for front and rear lens and one for the IR
packed it all in and it now looks like this:

IMG_48031.jpg

with occular lens:
IMG_48051.jpg

I am now on the hunt for a 39.5mm threaded CCTV lens that is shorter than the Yukon!

I just have to drill a couple more holes for the switches, AV out and the tapped holes for an additional laser

IR needs to be sunk a little further IMO

IMG_4804.jpg

DSA comes next

Last edited:
That's extremely impressive Bewsh.

One thought - if you use a' standard' lens, you may then be able to use a standard DSA? (Thinking Yukon here for cost) - looking forward to the next instalment - at this rate you'll be in production quicker than Clive Ward....!!

I havent found a DSA for the yukon (mainly as I have not looked yet!)
It has a sloped front section so I am not sure how secure it would be
I would prefer a shorter stubbier and parallel sided lens for ease of use and fitment

trouble is the thread pitch and size is a pain to match

I am wondering if it might not be easier removing the threaded collar from the objective lens and fixing the lens ot one compatible with industry C Mount or similar lenses.
those lenses are cheaper than the Yukon too!

on the DSA I can even screw something to the outside of the housing now!

That's extremely impressive Bewsh.

One thought - if you use a' standard' lens, you may then be able to use a standard DSA? (Thinking Yukon here for cost) - looking forward to the next instalment - at this rate you'll be in production quicker than Clive Ward....!!

Aha was with Clive last week and he showed me his prototype which will be in production very soon....

its actually a 40mm lens fitting now I measure it.
decided to chop up the yukon lens as most of the housing is redundant

looks like this now!:

photo.jpg

leaves a flush straight sided collar to mount the DSA and knocks about 2cm off the length

its actually a 40mm lens fitting now I measure it.
decided to chop up the yukon lens as most of the housing is redundant

looks like this now!:

photo.jpg

leaves a flush straight sided collar to mount the DSA and knocks about 2cm off the length

So the question now is, how compact can you make that with the CCD housing on the back.
Looking forward to seeing how it performs

.....as he has been saying for some months....!! Let's hope the wait is worth it.

bet it isnt £100 though!

So the question now is, how compact can you make that with the CCD housing on the back.
Looking forward to seeing how it performs

Well at least a 3rd of this is inside the threaded collar and 3mm is inside the ocular ring of the scope

I am working on under 9cm eye relief extension
Think a different thinner housing would drop that to under 8cm and if I can get busy with a cutter I can take 10-11mm off the front of the lens as it is now.

ideally, if you work on the principle of 7-10cm of normal eye relief on the day scope and about 1-2 cm on the Bresser.
if I can get the unit to between 8-9cm you should theoretically be able to use it with normal cheek weld...or as near as makes no difference

Very funny!
In my travels and googling of the Bresser components I have discovered that the lens components in the £99 Bresser are identical to the £300 Yukon digital Ranger!

IMG_4810.jpg

progress.
Power/dimmer switch fitted on top
IR switch fitted to side (opposite to photo)

packaging is very tight and onboard IR is long so it needs to protrude a bit.
Shown with Yukon lens fitted.
I still have 8mm to shave off the plastic front of the lens. once done it measures 88mm from lens to lens

I have just purchased these:

img_2686.jpg

mf-fi-2.8.jpg

lens is only 18mm deep which even with the adaptor ring I think will reduce the length by 12-4mm to 74mm total and a true 1x mag
will see

may move to a larger slightly larger box to accomdate 2xAA vs 1x CR123.
I also discovered the hard way just how hot some of the board components get when powered up!

Does Clive ever reply to emails because I have received.........................0

Hi Clive has been hospitalised recently with a blood clot in his leg, pretty painfull and laid him up for some while. If I can help with anything I will be happy to pass on anything urgent for you just PM me details.

ATB WB

Where can you get the brezzer NV units from? Aldi wasn't it? Do you think it could be made into a front mounter Edd?

Last edited:
I would much prefer a front mount TBH

I am no optical engineer but I think the rear lens would have to be swapped out for one with a much wider field of view to accommodate the objective field of view on the scope

dont see why not but I am sure someone better equipped than me will tell you why

I would much prefer a front mount TBH

I am no optical engineer but I think the rear lens would have to be swapped out for one with a much wider field of view to accommodate the objective field of view on the scope

dont see why not but I am sure someone better equipped than me will tell you why

Certainly the concept of a front mounted unit is a much better one - however in reality, you seriously limit the ability of your day scope by putting the NV up front. What you are doing is magnifying an intensified image with your scope - rather than intensifying a magnified image. The IIT (or sensor) is far better at making the most of the light through the magnified image. If you think about the Bresser unit as an example - where is the magnification done - before or after the image?

In reality, you will be limited by the resolution of the image as over magnification will cause it to pixelate - not seen it work above 8x so far, whereas I have seen 15x and above with an ocular mounted NV.

Back