Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: driven boar and open sights

driven boar and open sights

just wondering if open rifle sights are used much for driven boar at ranges well under 100m

well my 30-06 will be it helps with the sight hood on when using open sights. peep sights are useless as you don't have enough time to focus through them, so you're just looking for the rear barrel sight, either standard type or express and the front sight ramp with hood..

now I just need to figure out how to build a driven boar range on my ground for plenty of practise. I'm thinking a zip-wire with a tyre suspended, angled to create the right speed, with a release cable/pull rope at my end, and with a baloon blown up inside the tyre to see if I hit. should be fun.

Ed - I'm counting on your engineering skill input to make this contraption work too!

shot alot of boar now with reflex and scoped rifles.
    this ws the last 1 taken in oct by me.
    o/u express rifle and open sights.
    It has a scope but i only fit it at bait stations.
    "opens" is my choice now.

Works fine and popular over here.

You're only saying that 'cos you have a beautiful classic FN in 9.3 x 62 with open sights. Still trying to work out how to steal that rifle!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    You're only saying that 'cos you have a beautiful classic FN in 9.3 x 62 with open sights. Still trying to work out how to steal that rifle!!!!

Not happening!

C'mon, it's the season of goodwill!!!!! Be kind. (Silly thing to say that! )

i have a .3006 barrel for my sauer that has open sites and i am torn between tryign to get a low mag scope or just go with the open sights

I have low magnification scopes in quick release mounts on both of my express rifles and at the short ranges that most driven shoots seem to be I actually prefer the open sights. Shooting over open sights with an express rifle is far more instinctive and just feels right. The rifles swing better. Obviously the sights are of the correct design for fast short range shooting and have fibre optic inserts.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have open sights on my sauer now. I put them on for a trip to Finland which was for running targets. I had a low mag scope 1.2(about the same as the human eye) to 5x mag with an illuminated dot. I will say the dot really focuses your aim and you can shoot both eyes open. I only had the open sights incase I were to break the scope or it lost setting etc. I will say the rifle does handle well with just the sights though.