On the Hill

novice

I've just finished reading 'With Gun, Rifle and Bow' by James Douglas, a cracking read from a fella who seems to have been there and got the t-shirt.

One thing I did pick up on was his tales of stalking reds on the hill with his shotty. He specifically mentioned getting within 30 yards of a hind before taking her.

Now, is it just me or is that some impressive stalking? I've never stalked on the open hill, but I imagine it would be more than a little difficult to get within 30 yards of a wild hind on the hill, or should I get out more :eek:

Also, I'm I also naive in being surprised at shotties being used on the hill 'back in the day'? I've only really come across mention of them in relation to deer drives in woodland.

Novice

On the odd occassion I have got to within 30yds of deer on the open hill, although much depends on the terrain and wind, it can be done but not evey time.

Novice :In the end James Douglas got a bit more than the t shirt , was killed with one of his own arrows

Many years ago I had a friend out on the hill for a Stag and we were in the process of stalking an old 8 pointer .
I crawled to a small knoll for a spy and over the crest there was a Staggie fast asleep a few yards away .
I was tempted to sneak forward and smack his arse but there was a danger that the rascal may run over us and it would certainly screw up the stalk which was going well.
I had to retreat and do a detour which was successful and we got the 8 pointer.
I bet the young chap got a nasty shock when the rifle went BANG !

HWH.

widows son said:
Novice :In the end James Douglas got a bit more than the t shirt , was killed with one of his own arrows

Do you have any details about this? I also enjoyed this book, something different from the 'best practice' guidelines!!

I believe he was killed when a bow under tension shattered and a shard pierced his head. If my memory serves me right...it usually doesn't!

I knew Mr Douglas years back, we all new him as the west wind , a lot of "hot air", his videos were horific!!!!!
His dog training book was quite good [his wife was a trainer] but pretty much text book plagerism.

He was killed in an accident with a bow breaking in his shed as said before.

You can quite often, depending on terrain and weather be really close to deer on the hill [I had guests shoot stags at less than 50m 4 times last year], and in the old days shotguns were quite often used but many deer were wounded, I very much doubt that Mr D was capable of taking many deer of the hill with a shotgun!!!! it's not something to be proud of.

Sorry for speaking ill of the dead , but I did share my views with the late Mr D, so I think that makes it all right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boghossian said:
widows son said:

Do you have any details about this? I also enjoyed this book, something different from the 'best practice' guidelines!!

This from the Times December 27, 2002

A member of the British archery team has died after shooting himself while testing a new bow and arrow.

Douglas Mitchell, 58, a father of four, was in his workshop near his home in Ochtertyre, near Crieff, Perth and Kinross, when the accident happened. He walked home despite the wound to his head. His wife, Shena, took him to Crieff Cottage Hospital. He was transferred to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, but surgeons were unable to operate and he died five days later.

Mrs Mitchell, 51, said that her husband’s death was a freak accident. She said that he shot himself at about 10pm on Friday, December 13. “Nobody will ever know what he was doing. None of his archery friends have been able to explain what happened,” she said. Mrs Mitchell used a towel to stem bleeding from the left side of her husband’s face as she drove him to hospital.

“He dashed out of the car himself and ran into the hospital. The doctor saw him in less than five minutes but he was immediately transferred. He was still talking at this point and he was able to say goodbye as he got into the ambulance. That was the last time I spoke to him,” she said.

Doctors at Ninewells Hospital told Mrs Mitchell that her husband’s injuries were irreparable. He died on December 18.

Mr Mitchell, who represented Britain at field archery in the world championships last year, was a film producer who made videos about field sports and equestrian events. He was also a writer, under the pen name James Douglas.

He was a keen archer for more than 30 years, as a member of the Clan Archery Club in Dunkeld and the National Field Archery Society.

“He regularly competed at national and international level and was always in the top ten rankings. He loved archery. He wouldn’t want anybody to think after what happened that archery should be licensed,” said Mrs Mitchell.

Tayside Police said that there were no suspicious circumstances.

ATB
Chris

Back