Another Week Another New Butler Creek cover

ELRIG

Is it just me or are the Butler creek covers absolutely crap nowadays?. I've gone through 6 this year!! all snapping at the hinges. I've got a set on an old scope and their at least 13 years old and no sign of any snapping.

No, not just you !
I tried modifying a new objective lens cover so that it would slip under the very narrow gap between barrel and scope.
It goes on but won't close. So, I close it and put it on and it won't open.
Probably doesn't matter because I'm expecting it to break anyway.....An tips @
Cheers
Alan

Timely, I just did another one last night, I was going to start a post, they are such a good idea and so useful when it hissing down I cant understand why someone does not make one that can at least survive being slid into a slip.

Is there an alternative better make of these?

German plug extensions for using in outdoor conditions like hedge trimmer extension leads work very well with 48-50mm objectives as they are completely made of EPDM (the rubberlike stuff they make the liners from for car gloveboxes) and they only cost 6 euros = strip it down and you still have a usefull plug too.
Mine has been going three years now and is as new and it also clips shut GERMAN ENGINEERING!!!!
Martin

Is it just me or are the Butler creek covers absolutely crap nowadays?. I've gone through 6 this year!! all snapping at the hinges. I've got a set on an old scope and their at least 13 years old and no sign of any snapping.
Yes, I too have just had a BC cover snap off a new Bushnell scope. atb Tim

My 1 week old butler creek cover snapped at the hinge two days ago. Not impressed!!!

atb

Rob
243Sako

Get an accucover

Tried those, lasted a bit longer than the butler Creeks, but then the little plastic release catch pinged right out!
I've now bought metal Swarovski ones which cost £62 each end! Sounds a lot, but they are fantastic and come with a Swaro warranty. When you add up the cost of getting through a few BC's each year it makes sense. I also like equipment that I can rely on!
MS

I have some bc covers that are years old still going strong but the new ones are crap maybe bc have changed the manufacturer but they have gone down hill in my eyes
Even went on bc website to voice my concerns but cannot find a contact for them directly
Regards Andy

Mine are all quite old, so I haven't had this, but friends have had the same issues with them breaking.

I think BC are good general cover, but never found that they keep all of the weather out. So I stick a hotel shower cap over them when it's bad.

I do have some covers from Michaels of Oregon. They are the bikini type on and elasticated band, but instead of just fitting across the scope, they are actually a plug which fits snugly into the aperture. These seem particularly effective. You order the size you want and they clip onto the band. I just tethered them to the scope mount with a small piece of braid.

I also fitted two new sets of BC's bought at Midland Game Fair and both front covers broke on first outings. The set on my .22 are at least 10 years old. Have BC gone to chinese manufacture?

Popular opinion is that the plastic has been changed, there was at least one thread a while back

Butler Creek cover broken

I gave up using the pop open covers and went back to using the S&B factory covers (or sometimes a glove! :oops:) which I only put on when the rain starts... too much faff/noise popping Butler Creek open and then finding trapped condensation, but I would probably consider a spring open cover on the objective lens only (I usually carry barrel up so rain hits the objective) if I can find one that allows ventilation, is durable and is quiet.

There was another manufacturer on here some time back, maybe he would consider an SD deal! :D

Tried those, lasted a bit longer than the butler Creeks, but then the little plastic release catch pinged right out!
I've now bought metal Swarovski ones which cost £62 each end! Sounds a lot, but they are fantastic and come with a Swaro warranty. When you add up the cost of getting through a few BC's each year it makes sense. I also like equipment that I can rely on!
MS

Snapped my swaro objective cap off at the hinge last week....

I have been told I will get a free replacement which will be good service (if it arrives)

Snapped my swaro objective cap off at the hinge last week....

I have been told I will get a free replacement which will be good service (if it arrives)

Not that impressed with them either, the rubber ring that holds the cap shut keeps coming off when i open it!!!

Not that impressed with them either, the rubber ring that holds the cap shut keeps coming off when i open it!!!

Solved that problem with some silicon grease but it was a nightmare when I first got it.

I did fall backwards onto the rifle and scope so it wasn't surprising that something broke!

Last edited:
MS

MS, would you recommend getting both the eyepiece and objective covers? I haven't actually handled them and have been waiting for some first hand reviews before spending £120. I think the time is drawing near as I am getting stick for using dog poo bags as scope covers on a Z6i! Glyn.

I seen something the other week that I thought I would try ( not got round to doing it yet) the bikini covers that come with the scope with 2 cable ties around the tube can put them on and off when ever and the just hang there looked a good idea simple and cheap.

MS, would you recommend getting both the eyepiece and objective covers? I haven't actually handled them and have been waiting for some first hand reviews before spending £120. I think the time is drawing near as I am getting stick for using dog poo bags as scope covers on a Z6i! Glyn.

I like them so far! I believe the first batch may have had issues with the rubber seal which they have now sorted. I used it down in Doset a couple of Saturdays ago when it was raining sideways! I was on the exposed coastline all day in torrential rain and wind and no water got into the lenses. Opened them 3 times that day (2 sika and a fox!) and the lenses were crystal clear and dry.
I had to wait a good while for the objective lens and only had the eyepiece one fitted for quite a while which worked well as I carry the rifle muzzle down. I'll pop up sometime and you can see for yourself if we can find a suitable time? I'm off work from Friday until New Year!;)
MS

i gave up on my butlers after breaking too many went back to bakini cover its easy really ,atb wayne

Back