Tell the farmer

woodfordfallow

How much should you tell the farmer. some call in say hello, some sneak in and out , some text . But how much should tell them. I go to farms and the farmer says he hasn't seen anybody for a year. Thats a sure way to lose your permission.

i tell the farmer every time for the first 4 or 5 visits i leave dead foxes by the gates for them to deal with.then after that i see them and agree a position that i park in every time i visit simply they can look out see my car there and know its me out with a lamp.stu

How much should you tell the farmer. some call in say hello, some sneak in and out , some text . But how much should tell them. I go to farms and the farmer says he hasn't seen anybody for a year. Thats a sure way to lose your permission.

I suppose it depends on the farmer and the farm... ie some farms may be such that they readily allow you to take access to outlying areas, deer bearing areas, of the farm in complete safety and remote from the farmer, his home and the "active" parts of his business. In other setups you will want to shoot deer practically among his daily activities. Clearly, in the former a less stringent means of "notification" may suffice. However, in the latter, health and safety considerations alone, not to mention security aspects, demand that you notify clearly every time. ... It sort of .... just depends.

I would say that some sort of indication of your presence on the ground will usually be a very sensible precaution, on a typical working farm. Especially given that farms are "living things". So,work can or may be going on at any time of day and not just during ordinary "business hours".

One farm I shoot Rabbits and Foxes on i ring the keeper to let him know i will be out and he lets me know if anyone else will be out on the land. this happens once in a while and i may change my plans but generally i think I must be the only regular. A couple of smaller farms i do just require me to txt them.

Reverse the situation.... You would want to know if someone was on your land wouldn't you?

I even let my Mum know when I'm shooting on our farm, just so she knows it's me and not wrong'uns after nicking the gates.

Just a text for me, and then if i am out in the evening then i will go round a bit earlier for a chat.

I visit the Farmer separate to my stalking that way i do not upset them while they are grafting. Some want to see me every day some would not care if i was ever there as long as when there's a problem i am there the day before lol.

Last edited:
it's good to go and see the farmer and have a crack if he's got time, if you get on you quite often find he puts a good word with other neighbours and you can get an invite to sort out charlie which can lead to bigger things!

Quite apart from obvious health & safety issues it would be good manners to let the farmer know when you are going to be there. When I was a teenager I lost a pigeon & rabbit shooting permission through this sort of lack of communication. atb Tim

Tim not always mate some farmers dont really care and just want a job done they know if you are there or not. HS were dose that come into it.

Tim not always mate some farmers dont really care and just want a job done they know if you are there or not. HS were dose that come into it.
Health & Safety? You are happily driving your tractor in a lovely climate conditioned cab, a stray bullet smashes through the windscreen and plugs you straight between the eyes that's where! In other words it does no harm whatsoever for the stalker and others present on the land to be aware of each others existence, IMO anyway. atb Tim

Health & Safety? You are happily driving your tractor in a lovely climate conditioned cab, a stray bullet smashes through the windscreen and plugs you straight between the eyes that's where! In other words it does no harm whatsoever for the stalker and others present on the land to be aware of each others existence, IMO anyway. atb Tim

If you allow bullits to stry like that you should not have a FAC

Always Keep the Landowners fully in the picture text/park in farmyard where your vechical can be seen.etc keeps those that matter informed of your visits.

Tim dont be so stupid !I am sure that the farmer would be ****ed off if he had to come out and see who was walking about his land but health and Safty Christ if i used them words to a farmer he would tell me to F it. I just go on most places leaving my car in a prominent position.

Would it make more sense to ask the "farmer" if and when you should be in touch?

If you are constantly interrupting his afternoon cup of tea when you rock up I am sure that would **** people off more than anything else!

i'd always tell the landowner that i was there but then they are all friends of mine so i'm not imposing even if i call at tea time
i would have thought the most sensible thing to do is to ask the farmer what he would like you to do and leave it up to him.! simples !!!

I have a round robin(landowner, land manager and close neighbours) that I send out 24hrs before I go out. Tim, I quite agree that it is a good idea from a Health and safety point of view, both the farmer, his employees and your own (at least someone knows you are out on their land).

My farmer would soon get annoyed if I interrupted him every other day to announce my presence.
On the other hand, I always text him before going lamping and always ask if it's convenient before shooting around the farm buildings. Other than that, I come and go as I please.

I usually send a text to say is such and such date ok, i get an answer yay or nay, then i text upon arrival and again on departure. I also text the forester in case the farmer doesn't, at this time he also informs me of what he's seen and at what times. Very simple, but effective system.

I also inform the farmer what and where i shot anything. The Where is crucial info for a farmer, they're a bit precious about certain crops, my bloke is about his maize, so it's good to let them know you're getting them in these areas.

Last edited:
Back