Thread: Fox numbers

Fox numbers

I have had a busy year in the end on the foxes. I get out a couple of times a week on average but uptil end of July had only shot 29. I then got 28 in August and am now up tom 99 for the calendar year. My best night was 7 but we have had 2 sixes and a few fives. My best year previously was 74

I just womdered how others have fared and what a good year comprises of in numbers?

(I know its not all about numbers but I am curious. Where you are based and the amount of ground you cover might be interesting too)

I had 105 last year. This year, to date, I've had 165. I'm not sure how much ground I have these days, but it must be well over 20,000 acres, all of which is between Exeter and Exmoor. I'd probably have taken a lot more if I could drive these areas, but I can't. I get a lot of walking done!

What is interresting Paddy is we both seem to be up around 60% on last year (you a bit more than me). You got any contributory factors to that?

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    What is interresting Paddy is we both seem to be up around 60% on last year (you a bit more than me). You got any contributory factors to that?

There more foxes about - because of the warm spell we had early on, there was a lot more food about. Consequently, there were two or even three litters from most territories as the result of the dominant vixens allowing their siblings to breed.

I've got a lot more land to shoot over. Just two of the new shoots must total ten thousand acres between them.

I've further refined my techniques - I'm much better at using my thermal alongside my other kit, for a start.

How about you?

Just for your info and numbers research! We fox over 2 farms, totalling 300 acres. Most of the time we shoot them on a baiting site in winter when theyre hungry and coming in for an easy feed, plus were getting lazy! we shoot on average about 20-25 a year. our average outing is once every 2 weeks.

I reckon there are good litters this year but I have had more foxes moving in since the cubs got mobile. I put this down to the crap weather and people not wanting or able to get out on the stubbles. The dogmen have also been generally less active so I am not sure if there are more foxes in Yorkshire this time or wether, because I am obsessed and go out come what may, I have simply seen more of them.

I also think I have benefitted from better technique and the fact that I have more strategies available to me now, experience is a wonderful thing. I also have settled on 2 or 3 partners that I work well with so we have less balls ups. I am yet to really get into the TI stuff although we have played with it a bit.

As regards land I have taken my foxes off around 7-10 000 acres but 3500 acres at least is grouse moor so the population density there is very low

A few arrested here in Cumbria on a good night.

109 and counting for me so far. The Southeast has a very high population, and I put my annual tally solely down to how much effort I put in. This year I spent a lot of time out between April and August, reached the century in early September and have hardly bothered since... but then I had 5 more walking back to the truck after dark after an evening stalk on my fallow ground this weekend!
    My best year was 117, but I made it my goal that year to get my first hundred.
    Last year I think it was just over 70. I personally wouldn't say there were any more around this year, but I could be wrong.

We have no foxes in the Isle of Man.....boooo hooo

Used to be plenty of foxs on my ground, not too many about now thank god!!