.243 reloading

johndownes

Hi Guys I could do with a little help please, Im fairly new to reloading I have a browning abolt in .243, I wanted to reload using hornady v-max 87g bullets with hogdons H4895 powder. The only problem being I cant find any info on this bullet/powder combination, but can for 90 or 80grain bullets?. Does anybody on here use the same combo of bullet/powder, I just need a base really to start from.
Cheers
John

Hi Guys I could do with a little help please, Im fairly new to reloading I have a browning abolt in .243, I wanted to reload using hornady v-max 87g bullets with hogdons H4895 powder. The only problem being I cant find any info on this bullet/powder combination, but can for 90 or 80grain bullets?. Does anybody on here use the same combo of bullet/powder, I just need a base really to start from.
Cheers
John
just use the 90gr load and work it up from there it wont be far away

hi john
i use a 87gr v -max with a n 160 vihtavuori great flat round bang on the target at 250 yards

Get on amazon and buy a copy of ABCs of reloading by Bill Chevalier and read it so you understand a bit better what you are doing. None of the guys that have contributed so far will be standing next to you when you pull the trigger so they have nothing to lose!

Get on amazon and buy a copy of ABCs of reloading by Bill Chevalier and read it so you understand a bit better what you are doing. None of the guys that have contributed so far will be standing next to you when you pull the trigger so they have nothing to lose!

I would be happy to loan you my copy of the ABC's of reloading if it helps.

neither does the OP if he listens

neither does the OP if he listens

Advice on the forum varies enormously. I'd like to think that most bad advice is corrected by someone sooner or later but how does someone with little or no knowledge discern the difference? Do they go with the majority and hope for the best? Arguably I think its safer to get a basic foundation from a more reliable source before opening yourself up to the debate of the forum. .......and then there is potential to learn quite a lot.

Advice on the forum varies enormously. I'd like to think that most bad advice is corrected by someone sooner or later but how does someone with little or no knowledge discern the difference? Do they go with the majority and hope for the best? Arguably I think its safer to get a basic foundation from a more reliable source before opening yourself up to the debate of the forum. .......and then there is potential to learn quite a lot.
isnt that what i did early,corrected bad advice ??? its well know fact if yout have no data for a certain weight bullet go to the next heavyist one.

wrong advice mate as the 85gr bullet will have a lot more powder in than a 90gr always go for the next heavier bullet load as that will have less powder and a novice reloader cant really make a mistake
Have you had a look at the link that i've attached? you would see that for the powder he is planning to use H4895, the 90gr head takes more.

isnt that what i did early,corrected bad advice ??? its well know fact if yout have no data for a certain weight bullet go to the next heavyist one.

What makes you think I am criticizing your advice? My point is about conflicting advice. For a novice I can imagine it can be very confusing.

My point is about conflicting advice. For a novice I can imagine it can be very confusing.

It is, even after a couple of years it can be demoralising :oops:
A decent reloading manual should be your very first purchase, well before any tools or supplies.
I was told this, but was still very slow to buy one, when I did make that leap I bought a second hand manual from someone
on here, just old enough for powders to have changed, and new ones come out, so although a good read and much was learned
the actual loads have to be carefully checked against more up to date data.
The lesson is, by a new up to date reloading manual and read it, at least twice, if in doubt after reading and absorbing what you can, then is the time to ask on here.

Neil. :)

PS: Thanks to all the posters on this forum who have helped me along the way :thumb:

I think you should go to spec savers mate,go and have another look a little closer
Mate I'm sure you are a expert in reloading and I don't use this forum to have a dig at anyone. Thanks for the comment above. I kown looking at all the data can be hard but if highlighted it makes for easy reading. I've attach the data from the site below and you will see. IMR 4895 is easy mistaken for H 4895.
85 GR. BAR TSXHodgdonH4895.243"2.620"32.6295551,800 PSI34.7308957,500 PSI
90 GR. SPR SPHodgdonH4895.243"2.625"34.0296744,900 CUP36.5311450,800 CUP

Mate I'm sure you are a expert in reloading and I don't use this forum to have a dig at anyone. Thanks for the comment above. I kown looking at all the data can be hard but if highlighted it makes for easy reading. I've attach the data from the site below and you will see. IMR 4895 is easy mistaken for H 4895.
85 GR. BAR TSX
Hodgdon
H4895
.243"
2.620"
51,800 PSI
57,500 PSI
90 GR. SPR SP
Hodgdon
H4895
.243"
2.625"
44,900 CUP
50,800 CUP

well well well Ive booked at spec savers LOL,still would use the 90 gr load data from experiences Ive had in the past.
the data they have stated just dosent make sense un less it something to do with barns bullets.look at the pressure difference
by the way not an expert just an anal reloader

Its to do with the bullet no idea why but the Hogdon site shows it whatever powder you use for that bullet far higher pressure than others

the 8th edition hornady manual says 243 Winchester 85-87 grain using H4895 is start load of 28.7grains giving 2600fps up to a maximum load of 35.3grains giving 3100 fps .hope this helps

On my 243 I went on the bullet load data rather than the powder company and as it turned out the best accuracy for me was well below the starting data from Viht. I ended up with 38.6gr N140 pushing a 70gr BT Sierra :)

Also I hit the stuck bolt well under the max load data from Viht so will be sticking to bullet data from now on.

Back