Night vision or lamp??

I shoot with NV most nights of the year. I use an NV spotter or a mini thermal to find my fox, then shoot it with the dedicated NV riflescope on my .22-250. I had my 161st fox of the year last night, so I must be doing something right!

With regard to eye black-out - that is very common with cheap NV systems. The decent ones have manual gain control which allows you to turn the tube brightness right down. If that option isn't available, then just get some red film and put it over the eyepiece.

I have to disagree, my NV units range from the £99 lidle spotter,Merlin Cobra add on, Yukon Ranger Pro spotter, 4x50 Gen2, and a 5x50 Gen2+ dog danglies and they all have the "black eye effect" so price doesn,t really come into it.
Regards WB

I have to disagree, my NV units range from the £99 lidle spotter,Merlin Cobra add on, Yukon Ranger Pro spotter, 4x50 Gen2, and a 5x50 Gen2+ dog danglies and they all have the "black eye effect" so price doesn,t really come into it.
Regards WB

Sorry - but I was referring to more expensive systems with manual gain control, not ones with fixed brightness tubes which I won't touch with a bargepole.

Last edited:
Love lamping but...........love NV more. As long as both the shooter and shooting buddy haev good NV to look through then the experience is the same. Pretty boring for the non shooter if they dont have a good unit to watch the action with. Watching a fox comeing to the call when it has no idea you are there is an unreal experience, it allows you to take more time over the shot.

Love lamping but...........love NV more. As long as both the shooter and shooting buddy haev good NV to look through then the experience is the same. Pretty boring for the non shooter if they dont have a good unit to watch the action with. Watching a fox comeing to the call when it has no idea you are there is an unreal experience, it allows you to take more time over the shot.
And still miss:D

Sorry - but I was referring to more expensive systems with manual gain control, not ones with fixed brightness tubes which I won't touch with a bargepole.

+1 although I find that a top end NV unit even on its brigtest setting does not casue anywhere near the amount of black out that a bright digital unit will do. I had a Yukon Ranger which was good for the money but everytime I used it I had a solid black square in my vision for a good few minutes. The green image from a NV tube is nowhere near as bad.

I use the NV mono when lying in ambush then flick the lamp on to shoot. If I'm walking about on my own I just use the lamp as I find the whole stop, start thing time consuming with NV. If I had enough money I'd get a top ed rifle scope NV set up, but I don't.

I vary mine a lot.I do love getting together with a few mates and lamping off a vehicle.Great social event as well as the important fox control.Its been a bit crap weather wise this year and a drive over the fields is just not possible.Walking about with a lamp is something i enjoy doing but i have less mates that want to go for a walk rather than a drive,so i normally do this solo off sticks.
I wouldnt use nv with mates as they cant see anything and get bored.I spot with either an nv monocular or lamp to get eye shine then use a scope mounted lamp or nv to take the shot.
One thing nv is really good for is ambushing.If i know the likely route a problem fox has been taking i`ll stake it out.Scanning about with nv is unobtrusive and often the fox has no idea something is amiss.They can be watched from quite a distance away and tracked to a shootable position.

Back