Re-loaders a danger to themselves?

Driving is a very good point, should you not have to pass a test before you are allowed to reload ?
And I'd gone all day without swearing until I read this thread!! With the guy in question who's blown up 4 guns; he doesn't need banning from the club, he needs his FAC revoking. By his own recklesness he's already caused injury to others so I'm sure there are grounds for revocation.

I would gladly set up a course for re-loading, my PR man says I should call it: GRIFF's

Griff's
Reloading
Institute
For
F*kwits

:D
Your correct with F*kwits
I was once in a hand gun/rifle club and 1 F*kwit was blending rifle and handgun powder trying to improve the power of his handgun load!! he must have know better than the powder manufacturers that have spent thousands if not millions of Dollars on product developement and safe loads. God help us.....

atb blue

The guy was probably following Internet experts advise in his 'explosive' reloading experiments.
What should be noted is that the officials from the club should have taken action well before the fourth breech explosion.
It would appear that they should be assessed for their competency.
They should be able to produce qualifications and need to be required to take a course and exam before being allowed to be elected into position.

Even here (SD) there have been many many dubious bits of advise carelessly thrown around.
Novice advise given here is really worrying, some are patently clueless and some even promote the use of maximum loads immediately etc
Some sort of regulation and exam would appear to be necessary and without grandfather rights.

The guy was probably following Internet experts advise in his 'explosive' reloading experiments.
What should be noted is that the officials from the club should have taken action well before the fourth breech explosion.
It would appear that they should be assessed for their competency.
They should be able to produce qualifications and need to be required to take a course and exam before being allowed to be elected into position.

Even here (SD) there have been many many dubious bits of advise carelessly thrown around.
Novice advise given here is really worrying, some are patently clueless and some even promote the use of maximum loads immediately etc
Some sort of regulation and exam would appear to be necessary and without grandfather rights.

As I understand it in several Continental countries one needs to get such a certificate before one can reload cartridges same as they must do hunting tests however as I also understand their safety records are actually in some cases far worse than ours her in the UK so what doe this tell us?

That perhaps the course and certificates are just a way of making money?

Or that no matter what human kind will still find a way to self destruct?
this also bring to mind that perhaps if these people who are so determined to wreck them selves and anyone unlucky to be near by perhaps should be removed from society and certainly should not be allowed to breed. I believe Hilter amongst others had these ideas so beware tis a slippery slope you heading towards.

In Russia under the communists they tried to control everything aspect of life and thought and look where it got them. One can look at other regimes and see the the trates. There are those who are in power here in the corridors of Whitehall and town halls up and down the country who dream of such control.. Don't give them further ammunition to beat us down even more.

There are those who are in power here in the corridors of Whitehall and town halls up and down the country who dream of such control.. Don't give them further ammunition to beat us down even more.[/QUOTE]

Unless they load their own:rofl:

atb blue..

As I understand it in several Continental countries one needs to get such a certificate before one can reload cartridges same as they must do hunting tests however as I also understand their safety records are actually in some cases far worse than ours her in the UK so what doe this tell us?

That perhaps the course and certificates are just a way of making money?

Or that no matter what human kind will still find a way to self destruct?
this also bring to mind that perhaps if these people who are so determined to wreck them selves and anyone unlucky to be near by perhaps should be removed from society and certainly should not be allowed to breed. I believe Hilter amongst others had these ideas so beware tis a slippery slope you heading towards.

In Russia under the communists they tried to control everything aspect of life and thought and look where it got them. One can look at other regimes and see the the trates. There are those who are in power here in the corridors of Whitehall and town halls up and down the country who dream of such control.. Don't give them further ammunition to beat us down even more.

The communists did control all until it all went pear shaped - Gorbachev effectively took over a critically stagnating economy and attempted to introduce his perestroika - economic and political restructuring, as well as glasnost - openness, he let go the reins (short version) and it all came crashing down. The truth is Brit most of the people actually did not care too much about that 'control' as they did not have big bills to pay, did not have to work hard, were imbibing cheap Vodka instead of working etc. It is human nature, why work if at the end of the day the bills were getting paid without much effort? You never saw in the press the complaints and clamouring for a return to communism after the 'free market' economy was introduced - I saw it with my own eyes. It is a western fairy tale that they were all screaming to kick the communists out.

As to the 'certification' called for here I was just following the group think that abounds here and was advising of a way of thinning out the usual 'experts' and the continual bad advise that is bandied around as I am fairly sure that most would not pass, that said there are one or two who do understand the basics here.

Oh yeah the exam would have to have a serious practical side demonstrating the actual use of tools like an old engineering apprenticeship so that the internet knowitall /paper pushers could not get an easy pass.

As an aside I just saw a post equating a reloading session to a 'Tupperware / ann summers party', would not like to be near these guys when they let off their ammunition.
This is what 'chaps my ass' numbnuts that think it is a frikking joke. Well in this instance I would like to see some sort of control put in place - reloading for hoots n giggles FFS.

Last edited:
Joe it’s funny that you should get the impression that the “Tupperware” boys were not taking it seriously. Having done exactly the same long ago when two mates and myself formed a reloading syndicate I viewed the posting from a slightly different angle with tinges of nostalgia. We all put a sum of money in the pot and bought a press and the necessary reloading equipment. We would meet up perhaps once a month at my pal’s unit factory and have a reloading session. It was all done very seriously with each of us having a particular task in the reloading process. At the time we were shooting large amounts of pistol rounds so all the loads were the same as we had settled on a particular load that suited all three revolvers. After a couple of hours work we would put everything away and then enjoy a couple of pints in the local pub ribbing each other about our shooting and planning for the next competition. It was always an enjoyable evening. The one pal sadly dropped dead when out stalking and the other was lost to shooting when our pistols were stolen by the government.

Last edited:
Not the impression I got, read like guys fooling around.

Fooling around and not paying attention is an 'accident' waiting to happen.

It is not the way to approach reloading as you well know and pointed out in your reply.

pistol powders mixed in with rifle powder loads.... that's just going to kill you. I remember an article where a guy did this by shaking the two powders in the same tub that ended up in the loss of fingers because the mix was inconsistant.

I think the big companies have made products that are as good as they can be, so long as you stick with suitable powders and work within sensible limits you won't go far wrong. There are those that like to push it so the deer in extra dead, those 200fps makes all the difference, yeh to the number of digits if you go that little bit too far in error :doh:

Joe I have to agree that you need to pay attention when reloading but I personally didn't get the impression that these guys weren't really doing so. These days I tend to reload on my own and get annoyed when the wife or kids disturb me in my den (reloading room). When I say on my own the dog normally comes to help but he's better trained and knows by now just to leave me alone. I quite enjoy the peace and quiet when reloading, in fact I find it quite calming.

Last edited:
Joe I have to agree that you need to pay attention when reloading but I personally didn't get the impression that these guys weren't really doing so. These days I tend to reload on my own and get annoyed when the wife or kids disturb me in my den (reloading room). When I say on my own the dog normally comes to help be he's better trained and knows by now just to leave me alone. I quite enjoy the peace and quiet when reloading, in fact I find it quite calming.

Mike, think this is what you were describing.......:lol:Cathartic! x 2

Steve I don't know about cathartic but it gets pretty bloody ARCTIC like if I don't switch the heater on in the den before starting to reload. :lol:

The dog ain't so daft either while he enjoys having a mooch around the garage when it's cold he comes straight into the reloading room and settles in front of the heater.

Steve I don't know about cathartic but it gets pretty bloody ARCTIC like if I don't switch the heater on in the den before starting to reload. :lol:

The dog ain't so daft either while he enjoys having a mooch around the garage when it's cold he comes straight into the reloading room and settles in front of the heater.

Mike, I don't have the drawback of temperature variations in my reloading / gunroom,as it used to be one of the front bedrooms!:lol:, but I do admire the effects, while quaffing a litre or so of good red, within Mrs Finnbear's hoover (one of those with the see through barrel)when all the spilled powder/s & primers get sucked up!:norty::stir::stir::stir:. Can't really see a need for any regulation of reloaders myself!;)

Joe I have to agree that you need to pay attention when reloading but I personally didn't get the impression that these guys weren't really doing so. These days I tend to reload on my own and get annoyed when the wife or kids disturb me in my den (reloading room). When I say on my own the dog normally comes to help but he's better trained and knows by now just to leave me alone. I quite enjoy the peace and quiet when reloading, in fact I find it quite calming.

Well describing it a a Tupperware / ann summers party gave me that impression - it's not that I don't appreciate humour just that there is little room for pi55ing about when reloading.
We obviously disagree with the intention of the post, I'm calling it dangerous advise.

Pay attention should be the mantra if you want to avoid mistakes. This means minimise any possible distraction - most cannot walk and talk let alone attempt to reload with a mate in same room gassing about football, pussy, beer etc

Oh noticed something about mixing powders, Duplex loads can be done safely the reason they are not published by anyone with the knowledge is that they know some knothead will try with the result of a breech explosion because of a very real lack of understanding of what is going on.

BTW don't ask about Duplex loads;)

Back