All the gear but no idea

macfarlane

Met a guy out lamping the other night he had a lovely sako in 243 with about two grands worth o scope on the top,we got talking rifles ,shooting etc any way he asks what im shooting so i pull out my old bsa 243 with its leoupold 4x9x40 scope no mod ,just a bipod on it ,cheeky barsteward said what you actually shoot that.then he said it was coming on rain doesnt like getting his gear wet.yeah i actually shoot my guns.****ed me off laughing at me old gun.

Its bad form to knock another mans gear like that. As long as you shoot well with your rifle it doesn't matter what it cost

Yeah it's not nice getting your stuff slagged off, I took a roe head to get measured two years back, it was the first one I thought may have been a medal. However I was told it would never make a medal as it would get no points for this and no points for that by one of the assessors which I though was a bit harsh on a new and enthusiastic stalker. I left it there anyway to get measured and it turned out to be a silver at 120 points:)

Yeah it's not nice getting your stuff slagged off, I took a roe head to get measured two years back, it was the first one I thought may have been a medal. However I was told it would never make a medal as it would get no points for this and no points for that by one of the assessors which I though was a bit harsh on a new and enthusiastic stalker. I left it there anyway to get measured and it turned out to be a silver at 120 points:)

Ahhh well he probably wanted you to just walk off and leave it ................................................ then it could be sold.. Nice little earner.

To be honest it was more the way he reacted rather than what he said as if you really shoot that thing.gear wise i dont bother ive my own buisness ,my house is bought an paid for,my kids are happy see my guns as more like tools needed to do a job.an a fine job they do.

You cannot tell a mans ability by his gear . But a pile crap won't offten do a good job.Then there are the one's that think more about their gear than the shooting. Some turnup with the full cammo fancy bits and all the gear .But couldn't stalk a deer or crawl across a field to save their lives. They would get it all dirty and that would spoil their day.But you can't judge a book by the cover.The true story is when the deer is clean shot and looking good hanging in the chiller.There is nothing wrong having nice equipment and looking after it. I think its a ballance of what you can afford and how much you want to look after it. Me my gun Remmy 700 25.06 is a tool not interested in fancy guns. I do like a good scope pvs 1-2 only because they see better in poor light so a better tool. I like stalking deer i dont even collect trophies. Trophy hunters can ruin the stock so you need a good manager looking after them. woodfordfallow

I was once told by an Old Lad, to judge a man by his boots

new and shinny - doesn't do any work
Scruffy - Lazy
Worn but well dubbined - That's your man!

The guy sounds a t**t!

You see them all the time, I've spent more than I should have over the years on kit!

I've a couple of decent Miroku and Browning O/Us in the cupboard, My favourite gun! Gunmark Harrier SS, n.ej.

Is it trendy - no!

Is it worth anything - no!

Do I like it - yes!

The only reason I like it is because I can shoot with it [despite spending £1000s on Berrettas, Perrazzis, Blasers, ] It's not all about money, it's what you want, like!

I've seen plenty deer fall to cheap old rifles and plenty missed by expensive ones!

I have a few expensive one's, sako and a pair of beretta's...my favourites are my cheap CZ .223 and a 50 year old spanish S/S 20g...LOL..figures:rolleyes:

It's not the gun that makes the man,it the man that makes the gun. Every gun is only as good as the man pulling the trigger.

Andy

More than a few have laughed at my old truck axle Baikal single barrel 12G when I have pulled her out of the safe...they didn't continue when I said " well she has shot me 12 grands worth of fox skins,how many has your fancy Beretta O/U taken"

It's not the gun that makes the man,it the man that makes the gun. Every gun is only as good as the man pulling the trigger.

Andy

I must be flipin good MAN. I can shoot most things better than most, :lol:

bob.

PS: the OP's chap sounds like a bit of a shooting snob/NOB, fare weather shooter, takes his 4x4 off road ( on the grass out side his house more like,.) can't stand these types of people that slag off your kit, and its nice to see them on a range day with all the gear and the bloke who scrimped and saved to get his kit together out shoots him and his so called wallet mates :).

Last edited:
But a pile crap won't often do a good job.
rubbish.
I have been driving and shooting piles of crap exclusively for 20 odd years!

nothing made my day more than the DSC1 shooting test, when I used my father's unmoderated "no-name special" .270, complete with 30 year old 3x36 Nikko Stirling, a pair of home made shooting sticks made from hardwood window closers.

The guys next to me spent so long setting up their "sniper firing point" I had already finished the 100m stint before they fired a shot!
all mods and nightforce, plastic and stainless.

3 of them failed.....

More than a few have laughed at my old truck axle Baikal single barrel 12G when I have pulled her out of the safe...they didn't continue when I said " well she has shot me 12 grands worth of fox skins,how many has your fancy Beretta O/U taken"
Just think how many you would have shot with two barrels, I had a bakial . barrels last forever action crap.Well done if you can sell fox skins with shotgun holes in them i cannot sell them even rifle shot ,I have had my Beretta for 20 years they know how to make guns.

Back