Best grouping at 300M

most rifles group better than me
lister

Quite right Sir !
I have scored many hundreds of targets at `Stalkers shoots` and it is a proven fact of life that 8 out of 9 persons cannot place 3 consecutive shots into a 1 inch bullseye at 100 yards from a good rest even with NO stress and on a calm day.

HWH.

Quite right Sir !
I have scored many hundreds of targets at `Stalkers shoots` and it is a proven fact of life that 8 out of 9 persons cannot place 3 consecutive shots into a 1 inch bullseye at 100 yards from a good rest even with NO stress and on a calm day.

HWH.
does that statement included yourself ??? I thinl your being very condesending,there are some very very good shots out there seems to me you havnt come accross them yet.

does that statement included yourself ??? I thinl your being very condesending,there are some very very good shots out there seems to me you havnt come accross them yet.

I was normally included as 1 of the better 12% and have shot with the finest in the country so don`t give me that rubbish.
However, it is like your spelling, there is always room for improvement.
Below is one of my winning cards. Extended DMQ type competition with twelve shots at the various distances.
One point got away, a cock shot off the sticks, the other two low ones were also off the sticks.

HWH.
DMQtypeshoot-1.jpg

Last edited:
I was normally included as 1 of the better 12% and have shot with the finest in the country so don`t give me that rubbish.
However, it is like your spelling, there is always room for improvement.
Below is one of my winning cards. Extended DMQ type competition with twelve shots at the various distances.
One point got away, a cock shot off the sticks, the other two low ones were also off the sticks.

HWH.
DMQtypeshoot-1.jpg

Iam not giving you rubbish,Iam trying to understand why you always say others are rubbish shots but your not ??? I think its very unfair of you to speculate. the targets you have shown I presume they were off stick at 100 yards,which are great.but your statement was "and it is a proven fact of life that 8 out of 9 persons cannot place 3 consecutive shots into a 1 inch bullseye at 100 yards from a good rest even with NO stress and on a calm day".
I find this very hard to accept,as I said there are some very very good shots around.
by the way Iam a little Dyslexic,so I agree is alway room for improovent in eveything we do.

Last edited:
I never say that others are `rubbish shots`and it is yourself that speaks mostly rubbish.
I have shot up and down the land in competitive sports with rifle and clay pigeons at Club,County, National and International level as a team member.
If you find the truth hard to accept then you have a serious problem.
A merry Xmas to you.

HWH.

I must agree with Stag, although I have only been to a few competitions and hunter shooting tests compared to his experience, I noticed
the same tendency. I would not bet a cent on an average shooter hitting a 1" circle at 100yds 3 times. Many I saw didn't even hit a 4" circle at 100yds prone.
Just because we get presented with pictures of exceptional groups on the internet does not mean they are the norm.
edi

I never say that others are `rubbish shots`and it is yourself that speaks mostly rubbish.
I have shot up and down the land in competitive sports with rifle and clay pigeons at Club,County, National and International level as a team member.
If you find the truth hard to accept then you have a serious problem.
A merry Xmas to you.

HWH.
well I cant argue with your history and experience and wouldnt as you cant argue with mine,your not the only one thats shot competive shooting sports,please dont try to insult me as i have tried to be polite to you.But if you say 8 out of 9 shooters cannot do what you state the shooting and hunting folks in the Uk must be pretty poor,Iam surprized they hit anything.
Merry Xmas to you as well and also a good new year

Hi Derby Lad, up the rams!:D

Have you done Level 1? If so how many passed the shootingfirst time without any help from the instructor on your course? If you haven’tdone level 1 ask Dave Stretton or Rob Aitken both are local to you and do DS1and 2 how many of the stalker they haveon their courses would they put money on to put 3 bullets into a 1” bull at 100yards.

I was the only one to pass the shooting on my level 1first time, all others failed first attempt to put 3 bullets in a 4” circle,more fail this test than any other when doing DSC 1.

ATB

Tahr

Hi Derby Lad, up the rams!:D

Have you done Level 1? If so how many passed the shootingfirst time without any help from the instructor on your course? If you haven’tdone level 1 ask Dave Stretton or Rob Aitken both are local to you and do DS1and 2 how many of the stalker they haveon their courses would they put money on to put 3 bullets into a 1” bull at 100yards.

I was the only one to pass the shooting on my level 1first time, all others failed first attempt to put 3 bullets in a 4” circle,more fail this test than any other when doing DSC 1.

ATB

Tahr

are you addressing me mate??? if you are I hate football :drool:

Last edited:
This sounds like a chance for a bit of a challenge shoot.

I too am pretty convinced that the vast majority of deer stalkers, using their stalking rifle, their stalking scope set on a reasonable stalking maginification, their stalking zero, their stalking deer legal ammo, prone off a bipod with no additional support etc. couldn't put 3 shots into a 1 inch circular bull at 100 yards. I am also certain that I couldn't, I'd consider myself lucky if I got 3 shots in a 3 inch bull. I also suspect that HWH is pretty well qualified to comment but maybe this is just bias because I believe him to be correct.

I don't of course dispute that there are people who shoot a lot or are naturally talented and who could achieve this it is just that everyone on the internet shoots sub-half inch groups at 100 yards "all day long" whereas the shooters I meet in the real world don't, and if they do the group isn't centred on the bull. There are two conclusions here, either most people shoot a lot better on the internet than they do in real life or everybody I've ever met shoots a lot worse than the members of SD.

I think the red bull on the "Shoot n See" targets is 1 inch so maybe we could organise a bit of a competition. You travel to your normal stalking area, stick up a target with a 1 inch bull, take out your normal stalking rifle with your normal stalking scope set to a normal stalking magnification, go back to as near 100 yards as your ground will allow, (some people don't have ground with a suitable firing point and safe backstop to allow an exact 100 yard shot) load up 3 of your normal stalking ammo, settle yourself in the prone position on a normal bit of your normal stalking ground with only a bipod allowed for support. (I guess you could also shoot sitting or standing or prone off your elbows but nothing MORE than a bipod is allowed, I think most will understand what this means in respect of taking a stalking shot.) Then you shoot 3 shots and photograph the target and submit it. There is no need for measurement or similar, this is just for fun. You act within the spirit of taking a stalking shot so...

YOU DON'T - shoot 50 targets until you get a lucky one with the 3 shots in the bull. Shoot 10 "fouling shots" at different targets until you eventually get one in the bull to start you off. Shoot any more or less than 3 shots unless you want to submit targets for more than one load or rifle just for your entertainment. Practise on other targets first to get your hand in the way. Change the zero on your scope so it is on at exactly 100 yards - for example I'm zeroed at 200 yards and so will have to aim approx 2 inches low at 100 and as I can't see the other lines on the target with my scope at that distance I'll have to guess just like with a deer. Modify the target so the exact aiming point will be marked such that your shots will hit dead on the bull at 100 yards - deer don't have such an aiming point on them but I guess most targets usually have some sort of grid or markings on them and we just have to accept that and if you can see it with your scope at the normal stalking magnification then I guess you can use it. Use a bench with a range of sand bags and the like. Eliminate targets because there was a gust of wind, or you pulled a shot, or you hit a bit of grass, or your mate sneezed just as you fired, or the wind blew the target and it moved slightly, or your elbow slipped on the grass, or for any other of the common reasons we find people using to cover up the fact that they actually shoot a 5 inch group to the 95% confidence level but they choose only to show the occasional exceptional ones.

Maybe we could just use a one inch circle on a white page so everyone with a non-100 yard zero is having to aim off with no guide just like when shooting a deer? Perhaps we can refine the requirements and then post on another thread?

Then you stick the photo of the target up here along with info on the rifle, scope, magnification, exact distance if you know it and maybe even ammo or load info just for interest.

This sounds like a chance for a bit of a challenge shoot.

I too am pretty convinced that the vast majority of deer stalkers, using their stalking rifle, their stalking scope set on a reasonable stalking maginification, their stalking zero, their stalking deer legal ammo, prone off a bipod with no additional support etc. couldn't put 3 shots into a 1 inch circular bull at 100 yards. I am also certain that I couldn't, I'd consider myself lucky if I got 3 shots in a 3 inch bull. I also suspect that HWH is pretty well qualified to comment but maybe this is just bias because I believe him to be correct.

I don't of course dispute that there are people who shoot a lot or are naturally talented and who could achieve this it is just that everyone on the internet shoots sub-half inch groups at 100 yards "all day long" whereas the shooters I meet in the real world don't, and if they do the group isn't centred on the bull. There are two conclusions here, either most people shoot a lot better on the internet than they do in real life or everybody I've ever met shoots a lot worse than the members of SD.

I think the red bull on the "Shoot n See" targets is 1 inch so maybe we could organise a bit of a competition. You travel to your normal stalking area, stick up a target with a 1 inch bull, take out your normal stalking rifle with your normal stalking scope set to a normal stalking magnification, go back to as near 100 yards as your ground will allow, (some people don't have ground with a suitable firing point and safe backstop to allow an exact 100 yard shot) load up 3 of your normal stalking ammo, settle yourself in the prone position on a normal bit of your normal stalking ground with only a bipod allowed for support. (I guess you could also shoot sitting or standing or prone off your elbows but nothing MORE than a bipod is allowed, I think most will understand what this means in respect of taking a stalking shot.) Then you shoot 3 shots and photograph the target and submit it. There is no need for measurement or similar, this is just for fun. You act within the spirit of taking a stalking shot so...

YOU DON'T - shoot 50 targets until you get a lucky one with the 3 shots in the bull. Shoot 10 "fouling shots" at different targets until you eventually get one in the bull to start you off. Shoot any more or less than 3 shots unless you want to submit targets for more than one load or rifle just for your entertainment. Practise on other targets first to get your hand in the way. Change the zero on your scope so it is on at exactly 100 yards - for example I'm zeroed at 200 yards and so will have to aim approx 2 inches low at 100 and as I can't see the other lines on the target with my scope at that distance I'll have to guess just like with a deer. Modify the target so the exact aiming point will be marked such that your shots will hit dead on the bull at 100 yards - deer don't have such an aiming point on them but I guess most targets usually have some sort of grid or markings on them and we just have to accept that and if you can see it with your scope at the normal stalking magnification then I guess you can use it. Use a bench with a range of sand bags and the like. Eliminate targets because there was a gust of wind, or you pulled a shot, or you hit a bit of grass, or your mate sneezed just as you fired, or the wind blew the target and it moved slightly, or your elbow slipped on the grass, or for any other of the common reasons we find people using to cover up the fact that they actually shoot a 5 inch group to the 95% confidence level but they choose only to show the occasional exceptional ones.

Maybe we could just use a one inch circle on a white page so everyone with a non-100 yard zero is having to aim off with no guide just like when shooting a deer? Perhaps we can refine the requirements and then post on another thread?

Then you stick the photo of the target up here along with info on the rifle, scope, magnification, exact distance if you know it and maybe even ammo or load info just for interest.

I would agree with you and stag ,i have seen some truly awfull shooting but i have also seen some people shoot very well but most i feel would not achieve 3 bulls in a row without trying a few cards first. I would submit a card to show my shooting and if you had posted this earlier i would have had a go as i have been setting up a rifle this afternoon. All this talk of grouping doesnt really mean a thing in reality as its one shot on a deer or fox or whatever else you are aiming for . If you need a second shot the pressure is even greater.
how many do you hear missing at simple ranges so whatever you can do on paper does not translate over to shooting deer i will look forward to seeing how many will post up ,atb wayne

well I cant argue with your history and experience and wouldnt as you cant argue with mine,your not the only one thats shot competive shooting sports,please dont try to insult me as i have tried to be polite to you.But if you say 8 out of 9 shooters cannot do what you state the shooting and hunting folks in the Uk must be pretty poor,Iam surprized they hit anything.
Merry Xmas to you as well and also a good new year
i'm with see it shoot it all the way.every bloke i have shot with if they home load can put bullets well within an inch or less provided were talking centerfire . rimfire ammo is a let down now and again.that is prone with bi pod mind.if you asked me to shoot of sticks then yes good enough to pass dsc1 but groups would be shocking.and further more it bothers me very much being someone who is not very good at spelling when someone feels the need to be commenting.every one is good at different things if yours is spelling stop bragging as the person your having a go at might be so much better than you at many things.i dislike with a passion people who enjoy putting other people down.

amazing that the 308 is very seldom used in target shooting nowerday and even sporting shooting.times move on mate even though the 308 was one of the most popular hunting and target caliber.the 7mms have taken over the realy long range stuff as the little 6mms have blizts the sub 300 yards comps
each to there own i suspose

REEEAAAALLLLYYYY...... that's a very bold statemet... everytime I shoot in F/Ftr comps, the most common calibre is .308Win!

Well, just open up Stags point of view, my missus having never picked up a rifle before proceded to cloverleaf five shots at her first atempt (i dont take her shooting anymore), on the other hand i witnessed a soldier with 22yrs service fail his DSC1 as he was unable to hit the deer silouette let alone the heart/lung area 3 times at 40m off sticks, what that tells me is as good as anyone thinks they are, we are all to some degree reliant on a modecome of luck and just how bad the "buck fever" is on the day?
I for one would give up tomorrow if everytime i shot i hit exactly what i aimed at, for me it would bore me way beyond watching those bloody soaps that everybody keeps banging on about, and thats saying something!

Reading the OP I would go for the .308 - Plenty accurate enough to do the job, reasonable in the wind, power to do the job, reasonable recoil with a lightish rifle, easy to load for, plenty of choice of data/powder/bullets etc. Maybe not "cool" but perfect for the job in hand.

However, if I was looking for the best accuracy at 300yds, on a still I would use my 6BR. For longer range or if there was any wind I would use my 6.5x284 but in the OP's situation I would reach for the trusty .308.

As they say - There's 3 shot groups, there's 5 shot groups, then there's "internet" groups. The bull on the 300mtr ISU prone match target is 3.9 inches. International shooters do, on occasion shoot a clean card, 10 shots in 4". The 300yd bull on the F/TR target is 3", this is shot with a bi-pod and scope, it's rarely "cleaned". The bull on the 300yds F class open would be 1.5 inches. This is shot with rifles weighing maybe 17lbs, a solid cast iron front rest, pukka rear bags and a high powered 30+mag scope. Most of these shooters with their £5,000 plus gear would give their right arm to shoot a clean score.

are you addressing me mate??? if you are I hate football :drool:

Yes I was, more a oval ball man myself used to play for DRFC when I was a lot younger, but that is not of relevance, the rest of the post is, in my experience not many stalkers using there stalking rifles are capable in the real world not the Internet one of put 3 shots in a 1” bull at 100 yards.

Now have you done DSC1 ? It is one of the few chances most get to see other stalkers shot in a controlled environment unless you are target shooting.

I am with Stag on this one.

ATB

Tahr

i will look forward to seeing how many will post up ,atb wayne

I hope to be out on Tuesday and will try to shoot a target.

What I might try to do is put a one inch dot on a white sheet of paper so there are no lines or marks allowing me to "measure" my aiming off. That way it doesn't really matter the magnification of your scope as there is no mark to see that might give you and advantage over someone shooting with a low mag scope who couldn't see any such marks. Of course those people normally zeroed at 100 yards will have an advantage but maybe if there is interest we can have another similar fun shoot at another distance.

If I can manage to get a shot on Tuesday I will post the target. If we can get enough people to submit targets it might make interesting reading and provide some entertainment. I might stick a post in the General forum inviting anyone who might be interested to give it a go...

I hope to be out on Tuesday and will try to shoot a target.

What I might try to do is put a one inch dot on a white sheet of paper so there are no lines or marks allowing me to "measure" my aiming off. That way it doesn't really matter the magnification of your scope as there is no mark to see that might give you and advantage over someone shooting with a low mag scope who couldn't see any such marks. Of course those people normally zeroed at 100 yards will have an advantage but maybe if there is interest we can have another similar fun shoot at another distance.

If I can manage to get a shot on Tuesday I will post the target. If we can get enough people to submit targets it might make interesting reading and provide some entertainment. I might stick a post in the General forum inviting anyone who might be interested to give it a go...

thats exactly what i do , today i got a piece of white backing board i use for framing pictures and in the middle did a 1 inch square so i could sight in my scope that way i can see the holes on the board to zero , i will only be able to do mine next weekend as i dont get home from work before nightfall now.
like i said earlier it will be interesting to see who joins in, might even go one further and put it on vid so you can see no cheating ,wherever they end up i will post as like i said for stalking perposes its one shot . the other thing is i dont use a bypod so it will be field conditions ,atb wayne

Back