Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac

l have been asked to “get rid” (their words not mine) of some muntjac from a coppiced broad leaf wood, the wood is over run with bramble, l have a highseat up but need to do more, areas are very limited to site seats l have been down the mineral block rout, l can not do a drive (anyway it would impossible with the bramble) and l am not allowed to clear any areas, l have considered placing a couple of pheasant feeders but think the niebours will get a bit p….d of because they cant drive their birds out, l seem to be at a bit of a loss of how to up the cull successfully, any suggestions?

Get help monynut!
    I am in a similar situation although the land owner has an understanding of what is required.
    Health and safety is a good start yours and the munties! You need clear access and to be able to shoot safely and retrieve the carcass. You need to clear some bramble, it is where the munties will hide and also disappear into should you shoot them and they manage to get away!
    I'd like to know more info if possible. It seems you are on a 'sticky wicket'. Does the land owner understand that it is impossible to cull all the deer and if it could be done he would loose an important part of the woodland eco system?
    I'll give you my phone number and we can chat if you like.

The plain fact of the matter is that unless your muntjac population is geographically ring fenced in some way it is effectively impossible to take them off the ground other than in the very short term.

I used to stalk 800 acres of Buckinghamshire but with thousands of acres of muntjac inhabited ground surrounding us, some urban, some pheasant shooting and most littered with bridle paths and footpaths, all we could ever do is make a small dent as the neighbouring "reservoir" just fed deer back into the territory that we had cleared.

We found high seats of very limited use and actually got more deer by quietly walking through, being very careful about dog walkers and hikers even though our area was fairly clear of footpaths.

The one good thing about muntjac is that they are active for longer than most other species and walking through the wood, even mid-morning, can yield results. With a bramble cover you have to go very slowly as it can easily cover a muntie and you will inevitably spook more than you shoot and of course with does you need to check whether there might be a fawn nearby unless it is obviously pregnant.

Trouble with too much bramble is that thge munties have no need to come out into the open. More high seats & more people needed - you cover the ground and have a height advantage which improves visibility.

Have been experimenting with licks & feeding points BTW - almost totally ignored. Would be interesrted to know if anyone has had any luck attracting muntjac, and with what.

The Mole said
    Trouble with too much bramble is that the munties have no need to come out into the open. More high seats & more people needed - you cover the ground and have a height advantage which improves visibility.
    I agree with what the Mole said 100%, you have to make the most of the period where the brambles are at the lowest.
    I've never done very well with any attractants for Muntjac, I find more success in siting my seats over their trails and if the change their habits I move to where the most activity is.
    I also agree with Paul K the chances of eradicating Muntjac in unfenced woodland with a surrounding population is nil.

One of the areas I manage is a wood aprox 6 hectares, over the past four years they have doing a big coppicing operation on 1 hectare blocks at a time. It is an SSI Site with the most amazing carpet of flowers in the spring. As you can imagine it is like paradise for the Muntjac, lovely thick areas to live in but fantastic amount of there favourite food too.
    We were told from above to “Eradicate” the Muntjac, I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw that, so anyway, we were given a grant for 2 new high seats and there is two lovely big open rides to put them in. Whilst I am a great one for stalking about quietly on foot, in this instance the high seat wins hands down. The munti tend to scurry quickly across the open rides and unless you are ready to go you completely miss the opportunity. You need to be basically ready to shoot so as soon as you see him or her, acquire in your sights and whistle like furry in the hope that he/she stops for a brief moment, before hoping into the cover. During this time you need to asses whether or not to shoot. Following the advice of Richard prior I tend to shoot bull Muntjac on sight, as long as it is safe etc. The females you need to take more care and really know who is about and who has young etc.
    So my friend, you are not the only one, it is difficult to reduce numbers rapidly whilst maintaining ethical procedures.

HI 2428. How often or how many would you expect to see on that size of land. I have no idea what an area like that can hold.

I think feeding munty to pheasant feeders is a good idea and have shot them coming to feed at them.

My mate in cambridgeshire had a small block of mixed woodland, only about 70 acre and part of his agreement with the wood owner was to keep the rides clear of dead branches and also to chainsaw branches off which were over growing the rides. He put out pheasant feeders and salt licks. After a while the munty slots were all over the place, over the now cleared rides as with the light being able to penetrate the floor, grass and flower species were able to grow and attract the deer into the open, slots were also in abundance around the feeders.

Obviously this is only good if the landowner gives you permission to do this, but i agree with whats been said, munty are always on the go so you need to be fast and take your shot a.s.a.p.

Some years ago I regularly stalked on a twice yearly basis a large estate in Northamptonshire. It is a large Pheasant shoot and covers some 12000 acres.

Apart from Fallow, the whole area was packed to the gunnels with Munties, and it was not unusual to see some 15 to 20 on each feed ride. There are now none left, or at least they are a very rare sight on the ground, the team of keepers has almost eradicated them due to pressure from the forestry department, and the destruction of the wild flowers.

This took about 3 years I believe, but the secret I think was the feed rides. This draws Muntjac like corks out of a wine bottle, and as soon as the Pheasants had been fed the Munties where out within minutes. Apart from the sound advice of High seats, it might pay to lay some straw down and start feeding some areas. Much the same as a deer lawn, it should pull deer in, and concentrate them to one or two areas. But it will be hard work to keep the little buggers out if the whole area is alive with them, it will be like painting the Firth of Forth Bridge, a never ending job!!

Hi monynut
    I read an articule in the BDS quarterly journal some time ago about calling muntjac with a roe call, about three months ago I was stood on the edge of the wood and squealing the Buttolo call . With in 30 seconds of calling there was crashing in the undergrowth and a mature muntjac buck stood in the open fourty yards from me. I have had sucess with the call twice since, and every time the deer have all come in close and they have been bucks. The land I shoot does not have a lot of muntjac, I dont know if that is relivant.
    I am curious as to why this works, if anyone can enlighten me I would be gratefull