Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking fun shoot - anyone game?

Stalking fun shoot - anyone game?

There was a lot of discussion on the following thread:

Best grouping at 300M

I thought it might be fun to have a bit of a fun shoot. My thought was to shoot it just as if you were stalking and got a prone shot at a deer from 100 yards. If you don't have land suitable for a 100 yard range or have to shoot from a high seat then just go for what ever range you can or shoot from your high seat as the intention is for this to be a bit of fun.

So, you put a 1 inch dot on a white bit of paper and put it up as near 100 yards as you can and shoot it with your stalking rifle, your stalking ammo, your scope magnification set as normal for stalking, your normal stalking zero and preferably lying in a wet ditch in the dark with the rain running down your neck You shoot prone with a bipod as a maximum (i.e. you can shoot standing from sticks if you want but the most support you are allowed is prone with bipod, no bags or other gubbins) and you fire only 3 shots with the intention of hitting the black "bulls eye" with all three. A small group counts for nothing unless it is on the bulls eye. You make no other marks on the target as deer don't have aiming points on them that account for your rifle being zeroed at a distance different to the one between you and them. Those people zeroed at 100 will, of course, have a much easier time of it but maybe next time around we will change the distance if there is interest. Dialling the distance on your scope, if it isn't normally set to 100 yards, is a little against the spirit of the thing but on the other hand it is something you might normally do when stalking so I guess you can do it if you insist, but please say you've done it. You are only allowed to shoot three shots at ONE target, so no practise runs or re-starts because you pulled a shot, or there was a gust of wind or...

Of course feel free to shoot a different load or rifle at another target but the again only the first 3 shots at the target count and you must post each target that you shot on the day i.e. if you shot two different rifles then you post the first target, with 3 shots on it, you shoot with each rifle. No cheating.

Then you photograph your target and post it on the forum along with details of range, rifle, scope, zero distance, ammo, load or anything else you feel might be of interest or relevant. No one will laugh at you because I intend to shoot my target on Tuesday and so they will all be laughing at me. If I get really lucky I'm hopeful that some of my shots will be within 3 inches of the black dot and I'm buying a wide angle lens so I can get the black dot and all 3 bullet holes in shot at the same time.

The test is to see how the first three shots from your standard stalking setup, fired from a common stalking position will group and also how accurate they will be so play within the spirit of the thing and we should all have fun.

So, is anyone else game to give it a go?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:

yeah that sounds like a laugh....I'm up for it. I'll do all mine off sticks
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Shame the days are so short and my weekends busy, or I'd be at it, it sounds a good challenge! Maybe I'll get time over the Christmas period.

im up for it , but i can only go back 90yds in the back yard at the moment !

im confined to barracks as my farm alrams are up the spout so cant go back any further , and ill do mine off sticks too

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

yep im in i will do it the same off sticks i dont use a bypod,should be good fun
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Im up for it too, going over buckbones range on thursday il shoot a card and put on here regards biker1

Yep I'll give this a go. Got my level 1 at end of January so a little extra practise. I personally don't use a bi-pod any longer, if I have to lay in the **** I just use my rucksack. However since you have set the criteria I'll dig the bipod out, will also do a group off the sticks.

Might be able to give that one a run from one of my treestands after the first saturday in January as thats the "official" end of deer season in my county !

Might also try it as some folks are accused of around here . I'll pull my pickup out on the range in front of the benches and shoot out the drivers window at the target 100 yards away LOL's !
    GO Manny Pacquiao !!!
    Doubles , 6.5mm' s , 444 Marlin's , cast bullets , Sika Deer and the Philippines

I'll give it a go. When should we post the results by?

i'll have a only problem is the rifle i use is a 20" bull barrel custom and weighs a tonne so i have to use a bipod.if this is an advantage i will also have a go with the hmr and compare.the hmr will fail as its best groups clean and cold are 1" without me trying to mess things up with my shooting.