Occupy the NRA

pheasant sniper 1

I expect a few on here have fb accounts

I am absolutely sympathetic with the rescent Conecticut massacre which remains horrifying but i cannot believe the drivle this lot are spouting about banishing firearms.

Terry

Hi Ian,

Ita a fb community spearheaded in America where current demo's and marches are being organised against the NRA

Im crap on a pc so heres a taster from their page..
Quote..

"In 1996, there was a shooting at a primary school in Scotland. 16 children ages 5-6 were killed, along with one teacher.
The following year, the UK banned the private ownership of all cartridge ammunition handguns, regardless of caliber.
There have been no school shootings since..

Terry

I've seen quite a few of these mass shootings over the years, unfortunately they all become so politically polarized that the victims and their families soon become forgotten.The worst single incident happened here in the 90's at quebec politechnique university when a man who I refuse to name shot and killed 14 women.He was obviously insane and had a pathological hatred for women. The Canadian long gun registry was implemented because of the actions of a deranged lone lunatic.As most of you may already know, the long gun registry was dropped this year because we found out after spending billions of dollars and alienating and marginalizing millions of law-abiding Canadians it didn't work.

I have lost friends to acts of violence(knives,beatings,1 shooting and far to many were killed by drunk drivers which I consider to be an act of violence) I am in no way comparing the grief I felt at losing them to the grief that the parents of the children must be dealing with at this time.I am the father of two daughters and the thought of what those people are now living through breaks my heart and words cannot convey my sympathy for them all.

The disturbing thing in all of these incidents is that there are usually many people involved with the shooter who knew the level of mental illness or in some cases the amount of hatred that the shooters were capable of.Whenever I hear the media crying for some one to blame I have one simple answer, all of us, not just the firearms community or the anti gun groups but every single one of us. I can garauntee that right now in connetticut there are people asking themselves why they didn't say anything or do something to stop what happened.I'm sure its the same in Dunblane, Columbine,Quebec Poli and countless other acts of mindless and insane violence.

The point I'm trying to make is, the canadian government passed laws to prevent people who either were mentally incapable of controlling their actions or people so fing evil they cared nothing for the lives of their victims, let alone whether they had broken any laws.Needless to say the law failed.I think a lot more lives would be saved if all of us just took a little more interest in the people around us, on two occasions I stepped in with co-workers who seemed deeply troubled. As it turned out , both were suicidal and had access to firearms.After getting a little help both are happy productive people with growing families. I'm not special, anyone can do the same, on the other side of the coin if I'd said nothing and one of the individuals had gone on to commit an act of violence I believe that I would have been just as responsible as the individual who pulled the trigger.

In short, passing laws that will be ignored or blaming inannimate objects for the acts of individuals is not only foolish, its dangerous.All we have in this world is each other, if you want to make the world a better place try giving a sh#t for that guy you dont really know that well, you might be surprised.

Alberta Boy

Good post Alberta Boy...

We will have to wait for the facts to come out about this fella..

Watching the news it seems theyre looking at targeting assault rifles and extended or large capacity magazines

Atb

Terry

I agree, good post AB.

Interesting that Dunblane gets mentioned as there were opportunities with that man to have seen the signs as well apparantly...

Good post Alberta Boy...

We will have to wait for the facts to come out about this fella..

Watching the news it seems theyre looking at targeting assault rifles and extended or large capacity magazines

Atb

Terry

How long does it take to change a mag? As stated earlier it is not the inanimate object that is dangerous, but the person who chooses to use it, cars kill far more than guns.

++ 1 on the AB post.

The Hungerford killer was also known to be "strange" by people in a club he was a member of. There seems to be a bit of a trend.
A friend of mine has that on his conscience. He was a member - I don't envy him.
I believe it's the responsibility of all to look out for the signs - they are there. - For everyone's sake let's all stay close to our peers, especially in times of stress. It may just help avoid it happening again sometime.

Ian

there are always opportunities to see the signs

very few of these mass school or university killings would have happened if the owners had secured their weapons

almost all have been taken without consent.

the security issue is the main one IMO
remove the weapons from the hands of those that seek to use them impulsively (you will never stop a committed lunatic from securing arms if they put their mind to it. you will stop the kid that wakes up one morning and has homicidal feelings if he can't get into the gun cupboard.
make security cabinets mandatory. doesnt affect anyone's rights to bear arms

the next agenda should be removing the firearms from the streets. that is location that by far the highest proportion of gun deaths in america take place.

They have a long way to go to get any semblance of order or register in place. small steps first

as for banning "strange" members of clubs.......
dangerous ground there! I have been to a few clubs where that kind of control would mean half their members lost their guns!!
we are all strange to someone, doesn't mean we are homicidal/suicidal nutters!

I don't know what the answer is and I don't think anyone else knows where the answer lies but it certainly doesn't lie in simply banning large capacity magazines.

There was a guest on the BBC news this morning and she was introduced as a writer and as anti-gun. I expected the usual non intelligent drivel but in actual fact she spoke sense. She pointed out that most of these shootings have been carried out by disturbed young men from affluent families. She then questioned if America was actually doing enough to address mental health issues. Needless to say this thought out approach to the problem was countered by the usual BBC bias from the presenters advocating additional firearms control measures. In actual fact I have heard several news reports this morning suggesting that Obama is suggesting the introduction of additional firearms control measures in the U.S. but nothing that I have seen so far that shows Obama speaking actually says this. He says there is a problem and it can no longer be tolerated, that they must make difficult decisions but hasn’t gone as far as suggesting bans so far. Perhaps I have not seen the right news reports yet.

As regards Dunblane, there were chances to avert this terrible attrocity from happening but certain high ranking police officers made some dreadful decisions. As a result many young innocent children were horribly murdered and the pistol shooters of this country were made the scapegoats by the two faced gutless politicians of this country.

Banning guns does not work, the only people it affects is law abiding citizens. We can all offer our condolences to the people who lose members of there family's to gun CRIME but banning will not help.

banning guns won't stop this sort of thing BUT the ability to own several semi automatic rifles and as much ammunition as you want doesn't make it any harder for the lunatic who wants to go on the rampage does it

We have gun laws but what is to stop you hoarding ammo, or owning several 22 semi autos, as many 50 round mags as you want, the people who want to kill will kill, guns don,t kill, people do.
How many rounds of ammo do you hold, it's not unusual for members of gun clubs to have thousands on there ticket.

On an American forum where they are having a similar discussion, the subject of mental health has also arisen.
It seems that unless peole with mental health problems happen to also have a criminal record, the chances of them getting help are very slim.

The Anarchist Soccer Mom: Thinking the Unthinkable

The link above does not have a direct connection to the shootings, but from the authors point of view, it does have an indirect connection - and no, the author is not overtly anti gun.

I have removed a comment which was at best paranoid delusion, but was also insensitive and disrespectful to the victims and was frankly showing the site and shooters in a bad light. The account in question has been suspended for a week.

Guns have always been available yet mass murders using Guns are a relatively modern phenomena. I cannot for the life of me understand why. Family breakdown? Violent Video Games and TV that desensitize? Copycat Killings?
Beats me.
Yorkie.

Violent Video Games and TV that desensitize?
I think these 2 things have a lot to answer for. The line between fantasy and reality starts to get blurred, and in anyone with the slightest bit of a mental issue that's a very dangerous situation. People become addicted to these things.

I think these 2 things have a lot to answer for. The line between fantasy and reality starts to get blurred, and in anyone with the slightest bit of a mental issue that's a very dangerous situation. People become addicted to these things.

I agree..

Its appauling the violence in childrens tv and games.

Its a disgrace that young childrens programmes revolve around violence..

Alex... Thankyou, to think the guys here on SD could be associated with such an incencitive quote doesnt bear thinking about

Terry

Totally agree.

That said I see no reason for the police not to know who has guns or where they are. A licensing system is not a bad thing and if brought about by ligitamate gun owners themselves would only strengthen their own case as sympathetic to the situation. I can not understand why the american gun owners seem to want to fight this head on. Why not take the moral high ground? After all would anyone on this site honestly feel safer with the american system in place in the UK?

Mass murder takes two forms, serial killers like Harold Shipman et al and spree killers like this very sad event. Gun control is almost a smoke screen for not looking at the other issues, and if the logic is extended to rape, we would all be eunuchs.

Back