I hate flying

private fraser

Because it's such a miserable experience these days, you are treated like a criminal from the start. And this is in the U.K.!
At security it's belt off,empty pockets, jacket off and sometimes shoes off. You are left hirpling along holding your trousers up with one hand and wondering how the metal detector experience is going to go.

The next step will be orange jump suits and manacles, like in the film "Con-air".

And woe betide you if you are departing from a small airport at an off peak time.
The security staff will probably outnumber the passengers, come up with some ridiculous "rules" and give you that "go ahead punk, make my day and talk back to me" look.

It's even worse abroad. I know of someone who landed at an American airport and had a pistol pointed him for the heinous crime of stepping over a yellow line. "Step back over the line....sir", said the female "Homeland Security" lady from behind her Glock.

Take me back to the BOAC days when there were Stewards and Stewardesses who spoke 3 languages.

Anyone else had "fun" travelling by air?.

Yours Moaningly,
fraser

Flying can really suck sometimes. Ive had my fair share of fun! I feel your pain! Also had my fair share of fun too though.

2532DCE8-BBF9-4D75-B152-F164C9F9BC36-15475-000011CB984D8F1B.jpg

Last edited:
I hate travelling, I hate commuting, buses, trains, etc. I'd rather walk or run to work and back or use the car if too far.

I drive on holiday to France, not only because of the dogs, but because I boycott the airline industry and think terorists are hiding everywhere waiting to kill the white race!! (ok, I'm lying..) :lol:

I think we can thank the likes of Richard Harris the shoebomber and other UK based terrorists for the hassle we get now.

I have had the opposite experience when arriving at a small airport "off peak" where there has been so little visible staff that I thought they had all packed up and went home!

To be honest, especially when travelling with my wife and kids, I am strangely reassured when armed cops/security are clearly visible.

wait till they loose your luggage on a uk internal flight ,then the security dont want to know you when you point out ,my luggage has gone on a flight to another airport without me ,isnt that a security risk that is your job to prevent, the fear that i can now call the shots ,for a while made them even more officious ,i listening to them digging themselves into a hole was priceless

Love flyin, just chill security is a way of life these days better than being dead, as to loosing you luggage, I flew to st Louise code stl, luggage ends up in salt lake city Code slc, this is my camping gear, airline asks my campsite address and delivers it within two hrs.

Because it's such a miserable experience these days, you are treated like a criminal from the start. And this is in the U.K.!
At security it's belt off,empty pockets, jacket off and sometimes shoes off. You are left hirpling along holding your trousers up with one hand and wondering how the metal detector experience is going to go.

The next step will be orange jump suits and manacles, like in the film "Con-air".

And woe betide you if you are departing from a small airport at an off peak time.
The security staff will probably outnumber the passengers, come up with some ridiculous "rules" and give you that "go ahead punk, make my day and talk back to me" look.

It's even worse abroad. I know of someone who landed at an American airport and had a pistol pointed him for the heinous crime of stepping over a yellow line. "Step back over the line....sir", said the female "Homeland Security" lady from behind her Glock.

Take me back to the BOAC days when there were Stewards and Stewardesses who spoke 3 languages.

Anyone else had "fun" travelling by air?.

Yours Moaningly,
fraser

stop moaning, the first time I flew in a plane I parachuted out of it! In fact I hated landing in them!

I fly all around the world and you get used to it. You ought to try flying into saudi mate. That will give you something to greet about :rofl:

Last year was my worst ever for air travel and the more I do the more of a ball ache it becomes.

Even short haul flights to Norway etc are a pain, 3 flights from Glasgow just to get here.

Unfortunately I'm working away from family for Xmas and New Year this year but last year on 21st/22nd December I flew from Pointe-Noire in Congo to Glasgow and this was my route: Congo up to Lagos to Addis Ababa to Milan then Brussels to Schipol and finally hit Glasgow. Talk about the long way round! everyone passing security and the likes.

Loads of oil companies block booked our normal flight and my company left it a little late....would you believe my bags actually turned up after that :)

I know where your coming from Private

Arriving is not the problem bobthedug, departing is, and I do know the terrorist threat etc.

At East Midlands airport recently my tray was lifted off after going through the scanner as there was a "problem" and it sat on the floor for 5 minutes.
A security lady looked at the clear plastic bag containing my toiletries, went away and came back with a bundle of small plastic bags.
She then removed the toothpaste from my bag, put it into one of her bags with the E.M logo and a little plane on it, then put that bag Back into my bag
Presumably this made everything safer?.
When I got through all this palaver I went and bought a bottle of Water. The guy behind the counter said he needed to see my boarding card....for a bottle of Water.
I asked why and he said, "that's the rules"

You are better off at a busy airport like New York, they haven't got the time for that kind of cr*p.

On a lighter note, have a look at this...

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/dYslhL71k1M?rel=0"

Some may need the subtitles
:)

Last edited:
Quite different returning from UK to Nigeria! "Ah, hello Sir, we recognise you, follow me". Customs, check-in, straight on the plane to the from of the queue in rapid time. In fact my customs clearance was the bag unzipped then re-zipped. All courtesy of your friendly plain clothes policeman...and a 5000 Naira "gift" to the police benevolent fund.

But re the above I flew both out and back to Nigeria via Birmingham Airport (change at Charles de Gaulle and take Air France it's cheaper none of Brown's or Osbourne's travel tax) and B'ham was very quick and efficient. My son's mother flies to Saudi Arabia now via Birmingham Airport changing at Frankfurt for the same reason.

Last edited:
I fly a lot with work, i dont mind all the rigmaroll of all the checks, its for my safety, its bad when they loose your case and its missing for a week, i try not to fly through Charles degaul, my case is never at the other end.
I used to enjoy a beer or to on the plane, but now alcohol checks are used buy the company i work for, so i try to sleep through the flight

I also fly a lot with work - currently in the Middle East.

I have however spent a lot of time flying around Africa, often in very dubious little aeroplanes. I have been in South Sudan a couple times this year and the "Security" at Juba airport came up with a great wheeze for improving security - they decided to confiscate not only lighters but cigarettes from all boarding passengers - some had a good few hundred. A great little earner. This BTW in an airport built in the 1950's and having been "air-conditioned" and had all the louvres removed, hard glazed and AC units installed now has no power to run these - it was a little ..... warm in 40C shade temperature. Then after laughing at the bat flying round the departure lounge you taxi out to a runway surrounded by anti-aircraft guns and dead MiG's.

Only in Africa...........

I fly for work and try little things to cheer us up but remain in the rules

Try this next time you travel budget seats ( Fly Bee; Ryan etc )
After touch down the cabin crew expect mass pandamonium when the wheels stop turning. You can see them praying and expecting 200 souls to jump up in a split second and then stay stood for 10 minutes with bags and coats just to squeeze out.

Just before the wheels stop, jump up as if to make for your locker and then sit down; the effect especially if you are at the front is that you start this 'mexican wave' or jump start; and the plane decends into chaos. You'll get some dirty looks from the crew but by that time you are sat in your seat and its everyone else that is the problem.
Now do the trip regularly.. and watch the faces of the crew on you when you prepare; fake it and get yer mate to jump up instead..

Hours of fun !!

Don't like flying on the way to work but do like flying on the way home.

Did a handful of flights in Africa, all pretty memorable but the two which stick in my mind are landing in a gale at Sumburgh on the Shetlands in a little six seater and landing at Leeds Bradford in slightly bigger plane but with a very strong crosswind.

Don't get me started on flying in Africa - I could go on for hours...............but won't.

A funny one - I used to commute by Cessna 206 to a tea factory I was supervising for CDC in Mafinga - high on a plateau in south western Tanzania. We went via a tourist camp in the Selous Game Reserve to deliver groceries. On this particular trip I was in the co-pilots seat and we had a couple of African book-keepers in the second row, the rest filled with veg and beer. The pilot was an Indian, Capt Daudi, and he was very good - down along the landing strip at tree height at 120 knots to clear the impala and ele's and then over the Rufigi staning it on its wing - we could see the hippos out the side window. He put it down on the horrible strip perfectly, got out and invited the back seat passengers to get out - "I have a problem" sphincter gone, seat soaked - and who was sitting on that seat all the way up to Mafinga?

The first time we did that trip we nearly ran out of petrol - landed on the vapour. The downside of that was that after that we went with four 20 litre plastic cans of blue avgas in the back - 'elf and safety???

Ref the trials & tribulations of flying - is there anyone on SD who hasn't seen this?

Some of their other stuff is very good. ( search "Fascinating Aida Dogging" in YouTube)

Back