sweden

Well the trip went better then could be hoped.
A few firsts for me.
I finally saw a live moose, though never shot it we never had a tag for that. A moose was shot and it went back into the tree line and it ws 10pm when we got it to the larder, it had to be skinned immediatley and everyones phone was dead so no photo i'm afraid apart from a very poor shot 1 lad got on his misted up phone which he will email me if it turns out.
So what was shot.... I got x2 fallow and a boar which I shot in star light on the snow in -19c (another first) i had sat still for over 3 hours waitng for them. The next day was -26c another first (coldest i've been out in).
So we hunted in extreme circumstances and temps but good prep and clothing allowed us to sit motionless in these temps for many hours.
My view from the box I could have shot the follower but wanted to wait for a buck.
sweden009.jpg

Then the phone went and I was asked to shoot an "eater" if there was one.
Minutes later job done.
sweden011.jpg

The next day went well with plenty of does and followers seen of both roe and fallow.
In the evening we had much success 3 of us scoring good bucks me from a box the other 2 on foot.
sweden054.jpg

sweden044.jpg

sweden061.jpg

Then I went back to the box to wait for the pigs, -19c and 3 hours after dark they came to the bait.
Only stars and snow I lit the reticule and waited for one to break from the black mass.
1 did and I took it dropping it on the spot.
It had been quartering slightly and the bulet smashed the lungs and exited through the liver.
sweden031.jpg

Here is a shot of me sat in -26c and my breath kept freezing my eye lashes together.
sweden038.jpg

Just some photos with no story now.
sweden023.jpg

sweden018.jpg

sweden066.jpg

sweden081.jpg

sweden074.jpg

sweden071.jpg

sweden039.jpg

sweden040.jpg

A moose was also shot but it wasnt recovered till darkness and we dragged it out in -26c it was part frozen as we were, so the photo we took of it has come out really poor if i can tidy it up i will post it later.

nice going looks very cold but looks fantastic fun glad you all managed to get some action,atb wayne

Looks like you had a great time. The wife has promised to treat me to a trip in the near future.
ATB 1995rs

Nice one John!

So what is your recommended clothing/kit list for sitting out in those sorts of temperatures?

Alex

Nice one John!

So what is your recommended clothing/kit list for sitting out in those sorts of temperatures?

Alex
x3 thin thermal tops 1 quilted shirt, a gillet long johns under quilted bib and brace, pile fleece and a jacket.
snood and real fur hat.
pac boots with heat packs above and below toes.
a muff with hand warmers in side.
Gloves only if i was touching metal or dragging the muff kept hands warm and ready.
Reckon i could sit at -20+ for 5 hours.
Mounting the gun was hardest to get the eye relief due to layers.
No good for mobile hunting, loose 1/2 the clothes for that but dont stop walking.

Nice piccies, bit too cold for me.
Sat in -15 C 2 weeks ago in Germany and thought me toes would freeze off, the boar didnot mind, they came after i left the high seat:(

Nice one John, you certainly like those Scandinavian trips. Look forward to hearing about it on the 23rd (hope it's not that cold though).

Cheers
Pete

-26 now that is cold:scared: I have skied in that temp, how you can keep still is beyond me.
Good to see your getting results, is the vodka freezing if you put out it outside ?
Enjoy

Last edited:
You say a moose was shot but no tag for it ?
What happend in this case, a fine or a big Bollocking.
Did someone get over excited.
Looks like you had a great time, i will keep an eye open for your trips
Regards

John

Many thanks for posting the account of the trip. Having only recently got my first Nordic hunting trip under my belt (for which many thanks to you and other site members for all the help and advice) I'd love to do another. A great experience all round.

willie_gunn

You say a moose was shot but no tag for it ?
What happend in this case, a fine or a big Bollocking.
Did someone get over excited.
Looks like you had a great time, i will keep an eye open for your trips
Regards
that would be the case and probably a fine.
my post may have been miss leading...I could have shot a moose but there was no tag for it(so filmed it instead):D. the one that was shot we had the tag, in fact x3 tags for young moose so it was ok.
sorry for your misunderstanding.

Back