Permission information

Bigboab29

Hi guys,

just trying my luck here. I'm currently weighing up a plan of action to see if I can gain some permissions from the local farms for any shooting (fox rabbits pigeons rats possibly deer, anything really) I'm just wondering what the best way to go about this would be?

1. Post a letter with my details qualifications and insurance on it along with contact details.

2. Go to the door in shirt tie etc with documents in hand.

3. Go to door in tidy clean camo with documents in hand.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers rob

Hi guys,

just trying my luck here. I'm currently weighing up a plan of action to see if I can gain some permissions from the local farms for any shooting (fox rabbits pigeons rats possibly deer, anything really) I'm just wondering what the best way to go about this would be?

1. Post a letter with my details qualifications and insurance on it along with contact details.

Cheers rob

Number 2, by far the best option but maybe forget about the tie, you will look too much like a rep. Keep documents in car. Personally never done any door knocking on spec, it has always after I have seen rabbits/pigeons/geese already on the land.

Hi guys,

Cheers rob

Option 2 then 3, option 1 will not wash.

best if you meet people socialy through unrelated things. I know this isnt possible for some but its the best way of getting ground to shoot without a formal lease.

Agree with above. Firstly get to know their names and find out as much about them as you can. Try and find out if anybody else shoots the ground.

Then visit them with a valid reason eg I travel down this road on a daily basis and see xxx eating yyy crop would it be possible to shoot some? or anything on a similar line but you will have to play it by ear. Start by saying who you are and where you live and then sell yourself. Leave the insurance and alike till later. Timing is difficult catching them in and when there not up to their eyeballs also helps. Sat lunchtime/early pm is often good time.

Sometimes you get told no but if the timing is correct then you may get lucky.

20yrs ago I did the similar re some pigeon on some barley, turned out not to be his field but was asked to shoot some on his wheat. Shot 50 next day was then asked what else i could shoot and snowballed from there.

Also once your in it works like a network and often they will call you to say xx is having problem with yyy and can you sort it.

good luck and often inroads may come from the most unlikely places.

D

Buy a ticket for the local YFC dinner dance, donate a raffle prize and do some research on tractors... makes, models, horsepower that sort of thing. Then slip into the conversation that you are looking to get some shooting ground.
If possible, get to know an Agronomist... he will hopefully then pass on your details to farms plagued with pests ;)

You might even meet a farmers daughter.... Bonus!!!

Forget the lot he will say get lost .Go and have a look at his fields spot something eating his profits.This is best done harvest time.Then go and tell him you would like a day shooting his pests ,Tell him who you shoot for. Try to have a chat hoping hes not busy. If he like's your face and know one is shooting the ground you may get a chance . Smart suit, bits of paper,and bullsh,t wont get you in. Once you got the day your foot is in the door. Then you ask about any other pests he's got. I have worked this system and now farmers ring me asking me to take on the shooting. Good luck woodfordfallow

Hi Rob,

Cold calling is very unlikely to yield any results. Think of what your reaction is if you are busy at home and someone calls at your door. Even if you really need that ironing board cover that the seller has you invariably tell them "no thanks" and send them on their way.
Also be very careful of telling the farmer that you noticed a lot of crows, pigeons ect causing a problem for him and you can deal with it. He will know thats a lot of bs as you can't deal with it.

By far the best way is if you can get to meet them socially or through a third party. Find out about some shoots near to you and ask about and volunteer to help beat or pick up. It really helps if someone can recommend or vouch for you but nothing beats the farmer or landowner having met you and you have made a good impression.

Good luck anyway.

Hi Rob,

Cold calling is very unlikely to yield any results. Think of what your reaction is if you are busy at home and someone calls at your door. Even if you really need that ironing board cover that the seller has you invariably tell them "no thanks" and send them on their way.
Also be very careful of telling the farmer that you noticed a lot of crows, pigeons ect causing a problem for him and you can deal with it. He will know thats a lot of bs as you can't deal with it.

By far the best way is if you can get to meet them socially or through a third party. Find out about some shoots near to you and ask about and volunteer to help beat or pick up. It really helps if someone can recommend or vouch for you but nothing beats the farmer or landowner having met you and you have made a good impression.

Good luck anyway.
Don't go tell the farmer a lot of bs. If ther is a lot of pigeons crows causing a problem.
You tell him that you can deal with it then if he says yes. You go and deal with them. My farmers call me i go deal with the pests. NO BS Happy shooter Happy farmer.

Don't go tell the farmer a lot of bs. If ther is a lot of pigeons crows causing a problem.
You tell him that you can deal with it then if he says yes. You go and deal with them. My farmers call me i go deal with the pests. NO BS Happy shooter Happy farmer.

Hi Woodfordfallow,

The point I was trying to get across is not to bs the farmer by saying you will get rid of a problem when you can't.

You yourself have proved my point as "your farmers phone you when they have a problem with pests". If you deal with the pests then they shouldn't have to phone you as they shouldn't have a problem.

Hi Woodfordfallow,

The point I was trying to get across is not to bs the farmer by saying you will get rid of a problem when you can't.

You yourself have proved my point as "your farmers phone you when they have a problem with pests". If you deal with the pests then they shouldn't have to phone you as they shouldn't have a problem.
Ok last call i had last week (brian can you come and shoot the pigeons on my rape field they seem to have built up over the last week since the maize has been cleaned up.) My reply (yes John i will be there in two or three days) Yesterday i went there all morning shot 37 pigeons . called farmer told him how it went. He was very happy and said he will call me again if they are back. Dont forget the farmer is there all day most days.

Last edited:
Yesterday i went there all morning shot 37 pigeons . called farmer told him how it went. He was very happy and said he will call me again if they are back. Dont forget the farmer is there all day most days.

You have just proved bobthedugs point there.... if you add another 0 to the number of pigeon you shot you'd still have some work to do.

You have just proved bobthedugs point there.... if you add another 0 to the number of pigeon you shot you'd still have some work to do.
Yesterday the wind was low pigeons don't fly much in no wind .Two weeks ago the wind was better and we did .The point here was the farmer wanted me there and i went and he was very happy and will call me again. You must remember cornwall is not know for huge fields or flocks of pigeons. A good day down here is 30 birds.Yes we get much bigger days but lets not get into a who shot the most pigeons in one day. regards wdf

bri kth  11 12.jpg

When i had more time on my hands i shot many 1000s of pigeons, i never had any permission as such, i simply cruised the countryside searching for pigeons feeding,when i found them i would go in search of the farmer, conversation normally went somthing like " i see you have a lot of pigeon on your new drilling, any chance of shooting them please? answer would often be" so and so shoots them" is he comming today as there are hundreds of pigeon on it" normally ended in go on then with a few do's n dont's. Now i was never after THE SHOOTING as such and only appeared when i saw birds on the ground,as many years and seasons passed i was alway met with " i was expecting to see you soon, they started building up last week" ive seen myself running along side tractors trying catch a farmers attention only to be told "its not my field they are on" but still a sure way of finding out whos it was. It was always good to be able to call in to tell him that him that i had shot whatever and show off the spoils, so no bullshxt...
This always worked for me, but the problem had to be there for the farmer to see at the time of asking....

Completely agree with pete evans, but as soon as that first piece of ground comes do a good job and next thing you know youll have the neighbouring farms. Iv done the knocking door thing and not once did i get anything. But a casual chat and word of mouth and your in, also you dont want to much ground because you wont get round it if you want some kind of life outside shooting
Good luck i was in your boat a few years ago.

option 1 will not wash.

I'm not so sure mate. Got my permission this way.

Intel came to me that the farmer is a funny barsteward, prone to sudden changes of mood, so i had 2 choices. 1: Risk a phone call in the hope of catching him in a good mood, or 2: write a civil letter listing quals/experience and insurance etc.

Consider this, Every farmer/land owner, whether they actually are or not, believes that they are constantly busy and that their time is at a premium. I know from childhood this isn't really the case for most, but always play it as such. A cold call out of the blue at the wrong time could spell disaster.

However, a letter that will Only be opened and read at a time when they're good and ready to sit down and read it is by far the best way of getting your request across without impeding on their time and seeming to be trying to force yourself upon them.

It won't work every time of course, but it only takes one yes from 50 letters to get you on some ground. :tiphat:

Back