Thread: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.......

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.......

Merry Cristmas to All!!

My Mum, God bless her, wants to buy me a pair of binoculars for Christmas.
    Being concerned for her I said I really liked the Meopta 8x42, at about £650. Mum just looked at me shrewdly.
    I tried to say that I couldn't see a difference between the Meostar & EL 42mm models I tried at a fair earlier this year. But she brushed that answer aside
    "What do you really WANT?" she asked. Without missing a beat I said Swarovski. She didn't even blink when I said they were £1,600!!

ANYWAY, the reason for my thread is I am a bit non-plussed over which ones to go for!
    Please don't begrudge the question (You should be so lucky etc), I blame me Mum!!

Choosing 42mm left me looking at the EL Swarovision 8.5x42 or the EL 8x42

At this much money I wanted to try them in a shop but I live in Hertfordshire, and Macleods are a long, long way (only shop I found that have them actually in stock, and not just online).

So, learned ST members what'da think?
    You live and learn........
    .........or you don't live long

Does your mum adopt?

In all seriousness, a pair of bino's from Swarovski in either the SLC or EL format, whether HD or not will leave you happy. keep the magnification to 7 or up to 8.5 in the EL's which will cover woodland or hill well. I still use a pair of 7x42 SLC's that are now almost 18 years old, bought new just after I got married. They recently went back to Swarovski for a wee overhaul and came back with 4 new lenses, new rubber armour and looked brand new. During the time they were away Swarovski loaned me a pair of 10x42 SLC HD's. Very impressive. Could I see the difference between them and mine, aside from the obvious increase in mag in the 10's but smaller field of view? No I couldn't. In other words to my eye the 18 year old pair were still right up there with the latest technology in glass quality.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I would say get a pair of 8.5 x 42 el. The reason being is that you can then buy a doubler for the hill and still have a great pair for woodland. Don't worry about HD and all that. At the distances stalkers tend to work the difference will be negligable.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    EL 8.5x42's. Had mine for 10 years and still wonderful to look through. You'll love them almost as much as your mum obviously loves you!

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I've got EL 10x42s as they were on fleabay for £700...

There's a pair of 10x42 at £502 with 2 hours to go, and a pair of 8.5x42 for £800 with 6 hours left.

Buy them and send them to Swaro for a service. Judging by JamRoss's experience, you'll have a rebuilt pair come back!

Negotiate with Mum, and you might get the difference to spend on a scope or sh*tloads of ammo

Enjoy either way - they'll last you a lifetime

Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)