Recommend me a starting load

Wingy

I've just got into reloading and have produced my first batch of .243 win which I'm happy playing around with as my Tikka T3 varmint deals well with everything I've put through it.

I have also got a Tikka T3 lite which I have never been truly happy with,
I started with 165 grain Federal which shot all over the place
I tried Federal & Privi 150 grain which were better but I still seemed to get a fair few flyers
I tried Sako 123 grain which seemed better but at this low grain I may as well use my .243 100 grain anything with more confidence.

So I'm looking for something (hunting) about 150 grain in .308 win that would work well in the Tikka T3 lite synthetic that I can then work with
Thanks Wingy

I've just got into reloading and have produced my first batch of .243 win which I'm happy playing around with as my Tikka T3 varmint deals well with everything I've put through it.

I have also got a Tikka T3 lite which I have never been truly happy with,
I started with 165 grain Federal which shot all over the place
I tried Federal & Privi 150 grain which were better but I still seemed to get a fair few flyers
I tried Sako 123 grain which seemed better but at this low grain I may as well use my .243 100 grain anything with more confidence.

So I'm looking for something (hunting) about 150 grain in .308 win that would work well in the Tikka T3 lite synthetic that I can then work with
Thanks Wingy

do what i did when i was looking for a load for my .270 win i looked in one of my re-loading manuals , i can under stand the getting a starting load from some of the forum members may be the easier and cheaper option , but look in a book find something that tickles your fancy and load it and shoot it and nearly every time (im my case anyway) they worked !

I would have thought that the powders available to you would make a difference too, unless you want to pay hazmat charges for a delivery. State what powders you have and you can get easily and someone will help you. A quick look at reloadersnest will show you 77 loads for .308 with 150gr !

I don't know if I worded my request quite right or if it is interpreted different in my head (most things are) I shot a few things as listed through the rifle and it doesn't seem happy - grouping is poor, with regular fliers.
I don't know if the bullet weight is not suited or the velocity too fast/slow
I just wondered if someone has a similar rifle and a load that works for them?
I have once fired Federal brass, Federal large rifle premium match primers and hodgsons H 4831 powder.
However powder can be bought if recommend
Cheers Wingy

Have you just bunged a few rounds through, or have you made up ladder charges, varied seating depths?

With my .308 I've done nothing re home loads yet, I just can't seem to find anything (factory) that it seems to like consistently.

With my .243 I made up as you describe ladder charges using 2 different bullets.
Wingy

is it possible the crown could be buggered? made a massive difference to mine having it chopped and recut

You say that you are having fliers, how many rounds are you shooting when you are trying for a group? Don't forget that it is a light sporting barrel and allow the barrel to cool down between each attempt at a group.

You say that you are having fliers, how many rounds are you shooting when you are trying for a group? Don't forget that it is a light sporting barrel and allow the barrel to cool down between each attempt at a group.

I've put 3 rounds through it and got a 2" group @ 100yds. I was happy, then took a 70yds shot at a roe and although it dropped it the shot was 4" higher than aim point.
Next a 100yds sitter and completely missed got a second shot and it was spot on.
Back to target and 4" group @ 100yds
A 80yds roe and a ridiculous low shot almost underneath requiring an immediate 2nd shot.
I've checked and changed scope / mounts. Crown looks ok. And I've had the rifle from new 3 years ago.
I don't think it's me as I don't have these issues with my other Tikka (243) Sako (223), CZ (22) or CZ (17 hmr).
Wingy

have you got a mod on? on my .308 the bullet was catching the mod slightly until i had it bored out a touch

H 4831 is a relatively slow burning powder similar to Vhitavuori n160 and is ideal for 243 and 270. N140 is a slightly faster powder and ideal for 308 winchester, I'd suggest you try N140 with a sierra spbt 150 grain head. Start load for N140 is 41.8 grains top load is 47.1 grains Try 44 grains and work up to 55 grains it should put you in the ball park.

Thanks, I think this is possibly the last area to have a play before I loose confidence in the gun altogether
Wingy

1 other thing you can check is the king screw which holds the barrel to the stock is tight and check the barrel is free floating properly. As the barrel warms up it will expand and if it's touching the forend it can throw the barrel harmonics out of kilter. I sent you a pm if you have any probs feel free to ring me and have a chat about it.

I use a Tikka T3 Varment heavy barrel in 308 screw cut with a wildcat mod. the home load I use is Sako case CCI Primers Hornady 150 btsp code 3033# Power Vihtavuori N140 43.8 grans. OAL is at 56.72

this seems to work very well I'm zeroed this gun 2" high at 100meters & back to 300meter at the range.

Accuracy from www.northenmsportman.co.uk helped me with this & My 243 load

Hope it helps

Kevin

Wingy,

I have just worked up two hunting loads for my .308 Mauser MO3 with 20" barrel. I am using Nosler Ballistic tip (green) with Vihtavouri N140, Sako case and Fed210 primer. The first load which groups just under an inch with a five shot group is using 44grains at COAL of 2.795 inches. Remember to work up to this by starting at 41grains and check for signs of pressure. My load choreographed at 2503fps / 763ms.
The second hunting load was with the heavier 180gr. Ballistic tip and 39gr. Of Vhit. N140. this was very tight for a hunting barrel and five shot group all touching at 3/4 inch. The velocity is obviously less at 672ms. When I ran the figures through Quickload this shows a 98.8% powder burn with 32.2 % efficiency (anything near to 30% is excellent)
I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but remember the rules, this is just a guide and I worked up both loads from a very conservative start point. What works in my rifle may or may not work for you, always try and find the sweet spot by moving up and down by .2 grains once you've found a load that groups well (1 MOA) in a hunting barrel. I hope this helps.
Good luck
Munty

I use a Tikka T3 Varment heavy barrel in 308 screw cut with a wildcat mod. the home load I use is Sako case CCI Primers Hornady 150 btsp code 3033# Power Vihtavuori N140 43.8 grans. OAL is at 56.72

this seems to work very well I'm zeroed this gun 2" high at 100meters & back to 300meter at the range.

Accuracy from www.northenmsportman.co.uk helped me with this & My 243 load

Hope it helps

Kevin

priety much the same for me. Vit N140 works well Lapua brass, cci primer, hornady 3033 150gr bullet, 44gr powder (started at 43.1 and worked up) OAL 2.830

hope this helps

Thanks for the advise, I'm going to have a play in the new year and see how it goes
Wingy

Back