Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used a .30-47?

Question Has anyone used a .30-47?

Dear All,

Has anyone used or is using a .30 x47 round? Any information would be gratefully recieved.

I believe Bruce Potts uses one but I cannot find much on the web about it.

Yours hopefully, Simon

I guess I would have to ask this, "Why?" Why would you do this? It seems there would be no great benefit over a .308...

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    I guess I would have to ask this, "Why?" Why would you do this? It seems there would be no great benefit over a .308...
    No benefit? Hhhhmmm! What about the powder consumption? There is certainly an economy there to be had. I was reading about the .30 BR round and noticed a 30-47 that was mentioned in the article, as I had never heard of such a round I thought I would ask for any information available. And for that I am still waiting.

Ah, economy/efficiency. I guess that would be a consideration and value to some. Make no mistake, I did not intend to disparage your post or interest in this cartridge; more so, I was just curious as to why you were interested.

New to me too. What case is it based on?

6.5x47mm Lapua (I would presume?)

6.5x47 Lapua it is, although before that was a standard case they did use others. I found more information on this site than any of the others : 30x47 - Bench-Talk

It was a conversation with a riflesmith that piqued my interest, we were talking about short barrelled (20"/ish) stalking rifles (to be moderated) that would deliver bullets at 2,900fps to 3,000fps and he mentioned the .30"x47, something I had never heard of.

I just wanted information because it seemed interesting. Just as I was fascinated when Lew Potter generously took the time to show me how he worked up to his .280 British.

I think the case would be very similar to a 300 Savage case. When you consider its 90 year old design there is nothing new under the Sun. The 47 will operate at higher pressures i would have thought though. It would be an interesting project and it is sometimes nice just to be a little different.

The savings in a few grains of powder would be small compared to the increased price of brass cases (currently around 1 each) the reduced resale value of the rifle and the need to have custom or at least hard to find dies. I think the only advantage is that you can be sure you will be the only one to have one. saying that I love my 6.5 x47!

The possible slight improvement in accuracy over a 308 would mean you could shoot at longer distances.....but then it lacks the power
    for longer ranges.... makes no sense.