Carcass prep guidance please

stratts

If this is in the wrong section I apologise!

Some advice please if you don't mind?

I have someone that is going to get me a munty ready for collection for 27th Dec. I'm not sure when it will be shot, i'll find out.

It'll be in the jacket as I want to skin and butcher it myself, which will be my 1st time.

Is it best to leave it hanging for any period of time, bearing in mind it'll just be in a cold garage? I have a net that I can place around it if needed.

Does venison taste better hung for a while, or is it personal choice like pheasant, etc? I've only had venison a couple of times in restaurants many moons ago and can't really remember how it tastes!

Due to my storage quandry, should I just process it straight away and freeze the meat?

Cheers

Stratts

There is no real requirement for the carcass to be hung for a long time, especialy if you have problems with storage, skinning is easiest [not alway practical] when warm, butchery should be done, once it has had time to cool. With a Muntie, I would presume as long as it has cooled, you would be safe enough to butcher and freeze on collection.

Ok mate thanks I'm assuming it will be shot the same day, so from what you are saying I'd prob be best skinning it on Thursday and hanging overnight to cool and butcher on Friday?

Something I just thought about too, is a good quality fillet knife too bendy to use as I don't have a proper boning knife? Which is amazing really coz I have loads of others!!!

Ok mate thanks I'm assuming it will be shot the same day, so from what you are saying I'd prob be best skinning it on Thursday and hanging overnight to cool and butcher on Friday?

Something I just thought about too, is a good quality fillet knife too bendy to use as I don't have a proper boning knife? Which is amazing really coz I have loads of others!!!

That sounds fine.

as for a knife, firstly clean and SHARP. A more rigid knife than a filleting one would probably be best. As said sharp is the most important thing. Also a saw, again CLEAN and Sharp a carpenters saw will do the job, try and make sure the teeth aren't too big.

Thanks again, I watched a good vid on youtube where the fella butchered a deer without a saw. Am I being optomistic thinking I'll be able to do the same? I know they make things look easy!

Ta

Depends on what you want to do with it but I don't use I saw when I butcher munties myself. I usually take the haunches off at the pelvis joint, keep one whole and chop the other into chunks. I take The shoulders off and take the meat off those. I then take the sirloins, fillets and neck off the spine and throw the rest away (what little there is of it!).

Munties are a bitch to skin, IMHO, but once you've got it's jim-jams off, just copy what this bloke does.
It's a roe in the video, but the principles the same. Enjoy your venison. :thumb:

Stratts

Have a look here as well: http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/best_practice/meat_hygiene.php - the sections on skinning and butchering are what you need.

Don't worry particularly about hanging it. As others have said, once you've got the skin off (much tougher with muntjac than with roe) then it's pretty much a straightforward job. Once skinned I start by removing all four legs - the front are easy, the rear just need some work with the knife around the pelvis - then I remove the saddle. Then you're just breaking down larger joints into smaller ones. Don't forget to keep all the meat off the neck, ribs, etc for mince or sausages.

Take your time and you should be fine.

Let us know how it goes.

willie_gunn

Munties are a bitch to skin, IMHO, but once you've got it's jim-jams off, just copy what this bloke does.
It's a roe in the video, but the principles the same. Enjoy your venison. :thumb:

Out of interest could you tell me why muntjac are a bitch to skin, I've only shot red fallow and roe so I have never dealt with muntjac. Thanks 1995rs

I dont know why they just are might be lack of fat between skin and body. I skin front legs out first then hang them by thick nylon cord then pull skin off from front to hind legs you will need to use a knife a bit particularly around the bum. Basically an adaptation of David Stretton Donnington Deer management method - get his CD on butchery etc - brilliant.You dont need a saw just get knife in the joints

That's the series I watched he makes it look easy but very clear!!

Back