Thoughts on new build ???

LONG RANGE CAPT

Ive been thinking about a new .308 since I sold my Accuracy International.

The role of the new rifle would be for deer stalking.

I was thinking of the Tikka T3 Varmint, left handed with 20 inch barrel, synthetic stock. (.308)

But after a chat this evening with a good friend of mine my thoughts are changing.

Now Im thinking Tikka T3 Lite Stainless with barrel chopped to 16 inch. (.308) threaded for moderator.

The reason - light to carry, compact and handy and as mentioned by a my good pal.

The Lewis Machine Tool L129A1 Sharpshooter rifle comes with 1:11 twist (same twist as the T3) and 16 inch barrel.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge with this type of set up ?

Kind Regards

Rob

I don't think one has to go much under 20" with a stalking rifle. A sporter barrel chopped from 20 to 16" will save you
about 150 grams. Rather check weights of different scopes, mounts, stocks or bipods.
My son just made himself a stock that'll come in under 600grams, will have a 20" fluted sporter barrel and
a 2.5-8x33 Leupold. I started building myself a tactical rifle that will hopefully weigh under 3kg (without scope) but 1" barrel.
Just depends on components.
edi

I reckon it's not just about weight, also balance (especially with an 'average' mod on the end): shorter is easier to handle... I recently chopped my 6mm back to 16" - not had a chance to rezero / chrono it yet though.

IMHO for stalking in the UK, at not much more than 200 yards at chest shot UK deer, you don't need that much muzzle velocity to have a reasonable point blank zero. Also, a 16" 308 - you can easily use lighter bullets to get more MV.

You're right Mat,
16" 308 seem popular in new Zealand. They load 130gr TTSX with H335 up to ~3050fps which isn't bad for 16".
As an allround deer rifle my gut say's 18" up just to be sure she's usefull on deer to 400m.
edi

Weight saving aside I think you'll really enjoy the shorter barrel - I'm thinking of something similar for my next deer set-up as my fox and bunny set ups are all under 16" and are really handy when shooting around woods and vehicles.

No experience of how a short barrelled .308 would shoot but there's plenty on the web to say it's viable - if you don't home load your factory .308 round will behave like a .303 British if you shoot from a 16" barrel.

Not sure if this will help you but I had my Tikka T3 re-barreled to 30-06 Ackley, although it has a heavier barrel (krieger) than my original rifle it actually feels light due to the barrel is now 22 inch and the stock is differnt (PSE Composite). Easy to carry and steady on the sticks, bullet on bullet accuracy. I had mine made to 22 inch as I carry the rifle muzzle down and only being 5ft 8 I wanted the mod out of the mud n puddles. I originally thought of a shorter barrel but glad I didnt as you can chop it down later but you cant add of course.

Hi Rob

I went down the short barrel route and have been really pleased with the outcome. I went for an 18" PacNor match barrel in profile 5 (so it's between sporter and varmint) on a GBR action in a B&C stock. It's got a great balance and the slightly heavier barrel seems to make it a lot more stable on sticks. Mine is in 7mm08. At WMS in Wales the shorter barrel only became noticeable beyond about 700m. Over a chrono I reckon I've lost around 100fps but given that I've never shot anything beyond about 200m it's largely academic.

FNSide on 7mm08.jpg

The Lewis Machine Tool L129A1 Sharpshooter rifle comes with 1:11 twist (same twist as the T3) and 16 inch barrel.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge with this type of set up ?

Kind Regards

Rob

Rob,

Muir might be able to comment. I believe his DPMS is an 18"(?) version. My DPMS is 24" so not a fair comparison at all (as well as being in 6.5CM). All I can say, is that an AR/LR platform with a short barrel and NO moderator is just plain LOUD. As in, "ouch" loud. :-|:D

I have a 10.5" AR from years gone by, and woe be to the person near the end of it when it's starts chugging lead down range...

Rob,

Muir might be able to comment. I believe his DPMS is an 18"(?) version. My DPMS is 24" so not a fair comparison at all (as well as being in 6.5CM). All I can say, is that an AR/LR platform with a short barrel and NO moderator is just plain LOUD. As in, "ouch" loud. :-|:D

I have a 10.5" AR from years gone by, and woe be to the person near the end of it when it's starts chugging lead down range...

No. Mine is the 20 inch.
It's still loud.~Muir

Back