Anyone use 129gr SST's in 6.5x55?

D13REW

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the above? I plan to develope a load for my Tikka T3 but wondering what your thoughts are.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, I reload for 6.5x55, Im using 129gr Hornady SSTs, Re.22, neck sized federal/prvi brass. cci primers
Sorry, dont have any experience with Vit. powders, 46.5gr Re 22 works OK for me. I started out on about 42gr and Ladder tested to end up with 45.6gr. Just for the record Im no reloading expert, am using Lee Ann. press and dies. I just want repeatable, acceptable accuracy and downrange performance. Im not entirely sold on SSTs, had some meat damage but they get the job done (fallow, roe + fox.....same load) I believe in keeping things simple!
What exactly do you need to know? cheers.

Hi Devonair

I've been reloading a little while now using RCBS gear Norma/Lapua brass and CCI primers. I have the start and max charge and intended to ladder up but just wondered what other people were using and what they thought of the rounds?

There are many on here more experienced than me but this is what Ive learned reloading for .243, .357mag, .38sp., and 6.5x55. As you know there are so many variables to deal with, try to keep things simple and change only one element at a time.
Record your findings and make notes, or all your labours may count for nothing.
Do you have access to a chrono? It can be useful to know what speeds you're doing.
Dont go too hot, you will just beat up your gear and yourself for no return!
Know the signs of high pressure, dont assume that load data from me or the interweb is safe, book data is ok (if a little on the conservative side, every rifle is different and caution is required when working up a load.
Sorry if you already know all this, better to be safe etc...cheers Jon.
PS I love my 6.5x55....

Hi,

I've got 129g sst load using 47.2 grains vit 160. lap cases. federal primers. full case sized. 3.055 OAL. cases trimmed at 2.157. Shoots keyholes at 100 yards with 24" barrel sauer 202. Gotta love the 6.5.

This load was worked up to over time but shows no sign of excess pressure.

Hope this helps

I recently bought some but only got to start the tests. Fifty-five grains of IMR7828SSC gave tiny groups before I quit. (for the time being) Bullet seated to the base of the neck.~Muir

I recently bought some but only got to start the tests. Fifty-five grains of IMR7828SSC gave tiny groups before I quit. (for the time being) Bullet seated to the base of the neck.~Muir

Fifty five or forty five, my western warrior ?

John

I think the OP was asking what the SST round was like not asking what loads were best. If this is the case then yeah they are a good enough round in the swede. I shot them for a few years before swapping the swede for a 47. They will drop anyting from fox right up to Reds in the rutt. I did try them again in my 6.5x47 but it didnt like them.

Hope this helps

Ads

Hi,

I've got 129g sst load using 47.2 grains vit 160. lap cases. federal primers. full case sized. 3.055 OAL. cases trimmed at 2.157. Shoots keyholes at 100 yards with 24" barrel sauer 202. Gotta love the 6.5.

This load was worked up to over time but shows no sign of excess pressure.

Hope this helps
Sounds like your very pleased with this load,.....I take it you are describing holes touching each other on the paper?, Keyholing is normally used to describe bullet tumble, entering the paper side on / or even backwards.

Thanks Guys, Im both interested in round and load, I'll develope but might just knock some up in 47.2 just in case:lol:

i have used sst in 270 i found a nice size exit no need for the dog as it looks like the texas chainsaw massacre as claret is everywhere, i havnt had any more bruising than any other round though just a good wide blood track around 2ft wide so i continue to load with these for my 270 ,atb wayne

i have used sst in 270 i found a nice size exit no need for the dog as it looks like the texas chainsaw massacre as claret is everywhere, i havnt had any more bruising than any other round though just a good wide blood track around 2ft wide so i continue to load with these for my 270 ,atb wayne

:thumb:Exactly the same results i had when i owned a.270.

Thanks Guys, Im both interested in round and load, I'll develope but might just knock some up in 47.2 just in case:lol:

I use 129 ssts with n160.
Im using 46 grains and tried 47 grains but had stiff bolt lift so backed off a bit.
Work up a load carefully, dont just load them at 47.2.

Simon out of interest, what is your overall length? are you using the factory or the maximum that the bullet will allow?

Kindest regards
Garry

Back