Can anyone help me to re barrel my Steyr Scout please?

Chris J

For reasons it's unnecessary to go into here, I need to re barrel my Scout in 7mm-08 I don't want to re chamber it - simply replace the barrel. I understand that getting the thing apart is a PITA but the putting a new barrel in isn't likely to be that difficult. I don't know any gunsmiths really - other than screw cutting I have never needed one. I have plenty of rifles that I just haven't molested over the years. Out of the box, scope on, zero and away we go. The current barrel is plain blued steel and I'd like to go stainless with some masking black coating probably. I'd prefer it to be fluted and screw cut in 1/2 UNF at about 21" long.

The alternative here is getting rid completely and starting with a new rifle and it's not going to be cheap either way I know. Truth is that the Scout stands out in my collection and at times is the perfect set up.

So thoughts and contacts appreciated if you can or know of someone who can do this. I have a spare barrel on my ticket

I'm in the East Mids in the Sheffield, Notts, Derby triangle. Just to reiterate - I am not after a list of gun shops, I need a contact for someone that you know could do this please.

Chris

I've rebarrelled several Scouts. Its a fair bit more work than a standard bolt action rifle as the barrel is held into the action with a collet arangement.There are a few tapers and two threads to cut and you can only put a very slim profile barrel on them.

That's really helpful. Could we talk a bit more about that? I shall PM you if that's OK. I'd certainly want to replicate the slim barrel to keep the aesthetics of the rifle. The reason for going slightly longer is that I want to get the velocity up a bit. I bought the Scout in 7mm to be slightly flatter than my .308. Yep, epic fail. I forgot that the barrel was so short that I'd lose about 400 fps to start with. It's actually the Scout that I like rather than the cartridge. I've plenty of plain std rifles. The Scout is great to carry, easy to bring up and even swing through. Shooting from the shoulder is a breeze too. So I like the format, just need to change the tube up front for a couple of reasons.

Thanks for that quick response

Chris

Are you sure you're giving up 400 fps? 20" of barrel isn't *that* short.

Bear in mind that if you're replacing the barrel with something longer and without similar fluting you'll lose that handiness: it's very heavily fluted.

The grass is always greener :)

Thanks Mat - but it's 19" I believe and I have had the ammo over the chrono so I know how fast it isn't going. No intention of changing the barrel profile really as I said in my earlier post. Barrel has to be changed. It's not an option. Not all of the barrel is fluted of course, only the bit that sticks out. I know what you mean about it being handy. I don't want to spoil it, but there it is.

Chris

I seem to remember the manual showing the assembly diagram where the barrel is drawn it s fluted under the forend tube too,could be wrong... the barrel is scarily thin!

If you look at pictures of the steyr ultralight, you can see the barrel is fluted at the front, solid then fluted over the forend I'm pretty sure the scout is the same

Cheers Mat, but not quite sure how that helps me. I need a smith who can do the work for me. Design comes later based on what is available I guess. But, yes it it pretty thin, It heats up fast, but cools quickly too.

Chris

Chris Dasherman rebarrelled my 7mm08 I opted for a 1-9 twist which gets the speed back up and compensates for the shorter barrel, he's a first class smith you certainly won't be disappointed with his work.

Now that isn't something I had thought about. Changing the twist rate. So what do you shoot through yours then? Typically I was running 139 grain in mine. I tried lighter bullets to get the velocity back up too. Any idea what MV you are achieving. I am guessing that you went with std length replacement?

That is a really helpful response pierred. Many thanks.

Chris

Steve Kershaw at Howden (not that far away) could be your man. Does medal winning work. PM me for contact details if you want.

Cheers
Pete

Morning from up north Chris.

Neil McKillop is a cracking smith, been a good freind of mine for some years an builds rifles that shoot like you want too.

i have had some work done by Neil over the years and i always call him for advice when going for a new rifle etc, his work is second to none and heres a wee bit of reading to do to confirm his skills,

enjoy,http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mckillop%20rifles%20wins%20f%20class&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.6mmbr.com%2Fgunweek096.html&ei=xSXYUL-4LoqK0AWdzoGwCw&usg=AFQjCNFmdhpcqdxga2I0lh9-zGg8jfENxg&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.d2k

Merry Christmas.

bob.

Cheers Bob. I have been in touch and we're chatting behind the scenes. I'd really like to resurrect this little rifle, it's great to carry. Was thinking if it might be nice to swing through on a boar or two. Especially with a halo sight on top.

Anyway, it's case of scrap or fix really. I like the idea of changing the twist rate. It's all choices isn't it. And hey, it's only money.

Chris

Actually just had a measure of the barrel. Discounting the chamber etc it seems to only be about 16" of rifled section. That really is short. I mocked up an extra couple of inches on the end and it still looks very much in balance to me. Threaded with a mod on would be interesting to see. So, just slipped my T8 on the end and I have to say that it's not bad. Make you appreciate just how compact the Scout is.

Chris

Hang on, just measured the twist rate. Mine IS 1-9 already.

Cheers Bob. I have been in touch and we're chatting behind the scenes. I'd really like to resurrect this little rifle, it's great to carry. Was thinking if it might be nice to swing through on a boar or two. Especially with a halo sight on top.

Anyway, it's case of scrap or fix really. I like the idea of changing the twist rate. It's all choices isn't it. And hey, it's only money.

Chris

good for you Chris.

Neil called me just before i left to come up north for Christmas to ask how the job hunting was going and to wish me and the family seasonms greeting etc. and as always i got talking about the 6.5/47 i fancy to replace my tikka 595 in 245, (only when im back on my feet that is~) and of course how well the 20 tactical is shooting etc.

i like that wee rifle very much (im a real fan of them) so i think if i had the same issues with the cash to have it done i,d be doing the very same as you.

have a good christmas and i look forward to hearing what you do in the nd

regards
#
bob.

Thanks for the encouragement Bob. I have thought about re chambering it too, but in what? No point simply replicating any of the cartridges I already have. If we take bullet weight and decent velocity, I am well catered for in 20gr, 50 gr, 80 gr, 100 gr, 120 gr, 140 gr, 150, gr, 165 gr, 185 gr, 200 and 220 gr. What I wanted from 7mm-08 was the .308 characteristics but a little faster and flatter. I like stuff that shoots 'flat' Oddly I seem to miss less with that set up. I like my .308 but just never feel as confident at longer range targets as I do with say my 25-06. Maybe if I had to dial in turrets on my scope I might feel happier. The only deer I have missed have been with .308 and I guess it gets into the back of your mind sometimes.

Chris

Now that isn't something I had thought about. Changing the twist rate. So what do you shoot through yours then? Typically I was running 139 grain in mine. I tried lighter bullets to get the velocity back up too. Any idea what MV you are achieving. I am guessing that you went with std length replacement?

That is a really helpful response pierred. Many thanks.

Chris
actually we dropped down to a 20" as I like a pointable rifle too, Mv from memory is a healthy 2800 with M/e at 2420

Can echo comments on Neil McKillop. Dealt with him before and is a very decent chap. I didn't have anything complicated to do. Another bloke I know has had a few serious bits done and won't use anyone else.

Back