Thread: Cornwall & stalking

Cornwall & stalking

Possibility I may be moving to Cornwall at some point in the not too distant future. I'm currently spoilt with stalking in Berks - more deer than you can shake a stick at, but have heard differing opinions about Cornish deer populations (or lack of them). What's the truth - is there much stalking around or is it more towards the north of the county or Devon?

Cheers for any local knowledge

Others will know the area far better than me. Deer are more limited in Cornwall than Devon but there are some reds fairly well spread on Bodmin Moor, Camel valley and down towards the Lizard. There are also some roe about but nowhere in Cornwall has a really high deer density other than possibly on the Cornish side of the Tamar valley.

On the other hand Devon is a fairly deer rich county with reds, roe, fallow, muntjac and sika in that order of abundance in an admittedly large county with reds and roe the most abundant by far. It is one of the few English counties where reds might be the most widespread and/or numerous species.

Stalking access to reds is not as good as it should be because the staghounds still operate and stalkers are not often welcome on stag hunt territory.

I would stay where you are or take up shark fishing. From what i can gather Devon and Cornwall are pretty much sewn up permission wise.
    I`ll try and find out more for you.

I have a good mate that lives in Truro & he has been stalking now for about 5 years & he is yet to get any ground of his own down there, he says its a dead mans shoes job!

He is often comming up here to Hampshire to come & stalk on my ground as he just struggles to get anywhere down there as most of it is tied up or left for the staghounds.

Regs Lee

Thanks for the advice - all sounds a bit depressing!!

75, which part of Cornwall would you be coming to? It's not all doom and gloom down here. There's certainly no problem with Staghounds- there aren't any packs in Cornwall that I'm aware of!
    Cheers, Pete.

Cornwall is a long thin county and basically the further you come down the less deer there are! Apart from from some very small pockets which are sown up tight there is not enough to stalk until you are well to the east and near England. Devon is a diferent story. I live near Falmouth so am used to travelling for my stalking but have a bit just over the border for red and roe.

Drop me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a ring and explain more.

Thanks for all the replies chaps. It's all a bit up in the air at the minute with work etc and quite early days, but I may well take you up on your kind offer Eric, once I know a bit more. Many thanks.