dog eating chocolate

davidm

just went out the living room and came back to the remains of foil off a chocolate santa, i have heard it is bad for dogs, will it do him any harm? i have him out side to see if he will bring it back up.hes a 7 month old dogue de bordeaux

david

I have always been lead to believe normal chocolate is bad for a dog, the christmas santas off the tree are mostly hollow so he may not have had too much hopefully. I believe it is somewhat toxic for dogs, sure the vets on here will advise you. deerwarden.

Don't worry, we have always, 30 + years given our dogs chocolate, only the other morning shared a bag of giant cadburys buttons between our 4 jack russels and our lab, moderation is the key. One of the Jacks is a chocoholic, he can hear a wrapper rustle from 50 + yards.

Jim

Many years ago when I was a kid, my parents used to place our presents on the arm chairs and sofa at Christmas ( I have a brother and sister also ) we would come down on Christmas morning and open them.... Brilliant! We had a welsh collie who must of had a good sense of smell as one Christmas we came downstairs to find that he had ripped open and eaten two boxes of turkish delight from amongst the presents. All the other presents remained untouched....... The two boxes never did him any harm though!

just went out the living room and came back to the remains of foil off a chocolate santa, i have heard it is bad for dogs, will it do him any harm? i have him out side to see if he will bring it back up.hes a 7 month old dogue de bordeaux

david[/QUOTE

Chocolate is indeed toxic for dogs, the active ingredient being theobromine. The concentration of theobromine is higher in dark chocolate and a fairly good rule is that the more expensive and better quality the chocolate, the greater the risk of a toxic dose being eaten. Your Santa is likely to be cheap milk chocolate, mostly hollow as deer warden says. So unlikely to be a problem with just one. However if you are concerned about him - vomiting, dull etc then see your vet.
If you'd like to know more: Merck Veterinary Manual

milk chocolate,around 10g of chocolate, hes around 20kg

No problem then.

You might start seeing symptoms at 8-10g/kg milk chocolate. Double that and it could be serious. Halve the amounts for dark chocolate or less if really good quality. The dog needs to eat more than its bodyweight in white chocolate.

Main signs are vomiting and diarrhoea with mild toxicity, progresses to rapid heart rate, confusion and even seizures. If anything weird happens ring the vet.

thanks very much guys.he seems ok but will keep my eye on him.
regards david

Attachments

• IMG_0230[1].jpg
    IMG_0230[1].jpg
    264 KB · Views: 93
OK, so 20mg Theobromine, 1mk/kg, so unlikely to be a problem.

Jimbob, you've been lucky, the lethal dose varies between dogs, but I'd lay off the chocs for now. I know what you mean for chocoholics though, my lab is a little b for it.

He will be fine. Mine also regularly eat chocolate in small quantities.

My Hanoverian ate a bar of mint chocolate once, she threw it up again about half hour later, but her breath smelt fresh for a good few hours :)

my dog (this time last year set about a box of chocolates)

I could have filled my 1200 ltr central heating tank with the money spent on him at the vets.

lucky to still have him View attachment 22663

still love him to bits, keeps me company and never complains that im out of work either :(.

bob.

25 minutes and 2 vets opinions @ 10.30 on a Saturday night for free!

:D

OK, so 20mg Theobromine, 1mk/kg, so unlikely to be a problem.

Jimbob, you've been lucky, the lethal dose varies between dogs, but I'd lay off the chocs for now. I know what you mean for chocoholics though, my lab is a little b for it.

this is what makes this site so great thanks guys :thumb:

Thanks for the vet replies here. i know this can be really serious. My pet English bull terrier spent many a happy day at the vets after stealing chocolates or Christmas cakes, on a drip or whatever.

She was seriously ill once, after stealing a very rich fruit and chocolate cake, tough little bugger did well.

we lost her a year ago today, cancer, poor old thing, it was very quick Kids miss her, perhaps i do too, sad old git.

I am tempted to get a gun dog next, perhaps one day, next year

What breed is he?

My mums lab ate a whole Easter egg once, including the sweets, then a pack of chocolate eclairs... Threw them up the next day and was fine.

He was forever eating things he shouldn't (thyroid issue made him hungry) - was a straw lodged in his throat when he was 14 that killed him following a family friend putting the rubbish outside the back door rather than in the bin.

vet at the time said its a pot-luck thing as to what your dog will get away with!

Back