Rimfire rifle fun shoot :-D

Munty_Hunter

As suggested on the main funshoot thread lets see what we can do with our rimfire rifles in realistic shooting circumstance.

The square on my target is about 1.5 inches across and shot through pig netting squatting at ~50 meters. Shot with a 40 year old BRNO .22 and Winchester subs, in light rain.

Won't let me add the bl**dy pic now :-[

Last edited:
Sorry cannot join in this one as we don't have a rimfire

Philistine!
This is how we conduct one of our .22 fun shoots. 25M, elbow rest.~Muir
22PokerHandjpg.jpg

Another one who doesn't have a 22, otherwise it sounds like a great idea. Why not use the "black dot of doom" target Apache posted on the full bore fun shoot thread? That way everyone is on the same target and so are having to aim off into the white page etc. which should add to the fun.

Rimfire 50M

Heres my effort a few months ago with my Ruger 10/22 (10 Shots) using cheep Blaser HV bench rest using a sand bag @ 50M

Attachments

• Ruger.png
    Ruger.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 122
I'm up for this - bunny bashing conditions though right?:
- 50m 75m or 100m
- bipod, elbow, kneeling, or standing

Look forward to doing it if it ever stops bloody raining!!!

Philistine!
This is how we conduct one of our .22 fun shoots. 25M, elbow rest.~Muir
22PokerHandjpg.jpg

You need to do a bit more practise mate, I haven't shot mine for a year or more, but I know full well I can make holes in
a playing card at 25 yards :p

Neil. :)

I dunno about shooting playing cards in half side ways .

But I do have a nice old Winchester Model 61 and a Browning Auto Circa 1969 that would be a bit fun to try at 50 yards . Think I have a K-10 on the Winchester and a LEupold MX-8 4x on the Browning .

I have some compadres that own tricked out 10-22's with gosh awful big scopes that think nothing of shooting one hole groups at 50 yards with a decent batch of Eley or RWS standard velocity ammo . And to be honest they are claiming very good accuracy with Wolf standard velocity stuff .

Oh I failed to mention thats from the bench at 50 yards of course .

I'm up for this - bunny bashing conditions though right?:
- 50m 75m or 100m
- bipod, elbow, kneeling, or standing

Look forward to doing it if it ever stops bloody raining!!!

Same here, BunnyDoom. I'm spending enough time soaked to the skin doing the farm jobs. I'll wait 'til it stops for this one - it's supposed to be a "fun" shoot, after all.
As per the .22 posts on the other thread:
5p sized target spot,
50 metres range (or thereabouts),
Usual rabbiting positions (bipod, kneeling, offhand, sticks, wing mirror or whatever),
First 3 shots of the day.

Looking forward to seeing a few more efforts.
If I print my spot onto an A4 sheet, there's at least a hope I'll get one of the shots on the paper somewhere....

Well, it finally stopped raining! In fact, 2013 thus far has been bordering on drought conditions!
Here's my effort for the .22 fun shoot. If you think my 5p looks a bit big, that's 'cos I drew around it with a fat felt pen :D

Conditions were as near as poss to normal rabbiting. Lying in the mud behind a clump of rushes, rifle on bipod. Using CCI segmented hollow points, as I use when hunting. 50 yards range.
Strong intermittent breeze from right to left.
The first two shots, almost shot-on-shot at the left of the target spot, were taken during a period of steady wind, which dropped suddenly just as I squeezed off the third shot (seen at right of target spot).

DSC_0228.jpg

Change of ammo (to CCI non-segmented hollow points) and the next group of 5 shots were much better. (white square is 1" x 1"). I hadn't tried these rounds before. Off bipod at 50 yards again. I have to say that this is one of my best efforts to date, and would be 5 very dead rabbits.

DSC_0226.jpg

Next I tried 65 yards, also off bipod, and the group opened up wildly. Didn't even all fall in the 1" square. Next 80 yards, and grouped ok.
Then off sticks - 50 yard = nice group, 65 yards = awful, 80 yards = good group.

Anyone got any suggestions why the issue at 65 yards? I could understand it if the groups got progressively worse as range increased, but that wasn't the case.

Hi VSS,

If you have good groups at 50 yards and 80 yards it stands to reason that you should have had good groups at 65 yards, shouldn't it? Only thing I can suggest is that the wind was more variable when you shot at the 65 yard range.

Willie
PS brill group at 50 yards

has anyone tried at 100 yards ?

this is one of my attempts.

a lucky attempt at that. on average the groups would not all be as good as the one on film.

brill group at 50 yards

Thanks mate!
It's been a long time coming, but I think I've finally cracked it at 50 yards! If you've seen some of the posts I put on here 2 years ago, you'll understand! Anyway, had a lot of help and advice off this site.
Regarding the problem with the group at 65 yards, I did wonder if this is a parallax issue? Maybe someone who knows about these things could comment?
The scope is zeroed at 50 yards, and is not parallax adjustable. The first dot down in the reticle is 65, and the next is 80 (then 100, then 110). Now, there's only a tiny distance between the cross and the first dot (ie, between 50 and 65 yards), so it's possible that a small movement of my head (rather than movement of the rifle) is giving the appearance that I've re-aimed using the 1st dot, when in fact maybe I've hardly moved the rifle at all?
Moving up to 80 yards obviously the difference is greater, so less likely to lose it in parallax.
Just a thought. I might be completely wrong.

Back