Iconic rifles and calibre.

Original Whitworth .451 muzzle loader - Hex bore, hex bullet, 95grains of TPPH powder!!!!!! from the man that really knew about rifle twist & tumbling.

Open sights - Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5

SMLE No1 mk3

Ok Tin hat at the ready....
1.M16 for changing the way combat rifles are made and longevity.
2.Remington 700 for spawning the whole aftermaket industry and keeping gunsmiths in work.
3.Sako finfire for the centerfire build quality and because i love mine.

not a rifle but a round ,in the 60s all the talk was the Fireball ,i think .221 ,has it died out or is it still on the shelves.

303 lee Enfield , what a deer killer, and the iconic 3030 marlin 336. Just picked up a new stock and forfend for a 303, for the americans here what about the mossberg 46m or the clikity clack 87a savage

Of the rifles I've handled, I nominate a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle with a telescope sight (in its original leather case) all wrapped up in a leather-and-canvas-on-oak full-length case bearing railway labels suggesting many pre-war return journeys to Inverness.

I didn't buy it. With limited 'slots' such romance, while attractive, is difficult to justify.

I thought of 2 more, I own one. First, my Model 46 Husqvarna in 9.3x57,a classic swedish moose rifle that does exactly what it was designed to do,drop moose quickly with a minimum of meat damage. Secondly, a Canadian classic, the Remington 760/7600 Gamemaster pump-action in 30-06, aka the jerkomatic.Go anywhere in Canada and you'll run into one of these. Not up there with H & H, but they work and shoot reasonably well

AB

Last edited:
I thought of 2 more, I own one. First, my Model 46 Husqvarna in 9.3x57,a classic swedish moose rifle that does exactly what it was designed to do,drop moose quickly with a minimum of meat damage. Secondly, a Canadian classic, the Remington 760/7600 Gamemaster pump-action in 30-06, aka the jerkomatic.Go anywhere in Canada and you'll run into one of these. Not up there with H & H, but they work and shoot reasonably well

AB

I got a one of these (Husky)on a M98 action. Love it.~Muir

A friend of mine a Husky 98 in 9.3x62, another classic. I've got a thing for those old Huskies too. Have you taken any animals wiyh yours Muir?

AB

Well one cannot get much more iconic than this:-

9877161.jpg

9877134.jpg

3107647.jpg

Mauser M93 made by DWM in about 1897 for the Boers and in 7mm Mauser of course.

A bit later but along the same lines:-

Mod46FWRHS.jpg

Husqvarna Model 46 (1935 vintage) in 9.3x57.

Now this rifle just fits the whole idea of the .270 Winchester IMHO:-

Majestic_Featherweight_RHS.jpg

Majestic_Butt_LHS.jpg

Majestic_fore_end_LHS.jpg

Graceful and of light weight, just right for the hill or mountain, sans scope it weighs in at 6 1/4lbs.

PICT0067.jpg

and under 8lbs ready for the hill with scope, rings, leather sling and 4 rounds in the magazine.

For our lighter species of quarry then this suits just fine:-

PICT0075.jpg

PICT0079.jpg

True short action to suit the .222 Remington cartridge.

I am sorry but a lot of modern rifles simply lack the grace and style of the older ones.

Back