Iconic rifles and calibre.

Munty_Hunter

On the back of being given a 40 year old BRNO .22 rimfire that works and shoots like an absolute demon. I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone views as the most iconic vermin/sporting rifle and calibre.

My First and Foremost would be the Remington 722 in 222 REM but thats a good bit of sentiment involved as I've known this rifle since I was a baby !

I had a Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 Varmint in 220 Swift I truely liked as well as a Pre 64 Model 70 standard in 22 Hornet .

On a more new line I am partial to the 70's to 80's Remington Model 700 BDL Varmint in 222 REM and 243 WIN .

Parker-hale modified Lee Enfield sporters in 303 British, Winchester model 94 in 30-30 and Cooey bolt actions in 22lr

AB

I have a wee Winchester lever action in .22 that has had an uncountable number of rounds through it. It is still unbelievably accurate. It will be near 30 years old now.

I was given it by a mate who had 2 of them as he was shooting so many rabbits at one point. If I were to guess it must be well over 50,000 rounds (probably a gross under estimate to be honest)??? Only thing that has ever needed done to it is the screw that holds the stock onto the action once needed tightened. The friend who gave it to me has always said if he had to keep just on gun in the cabinet to survive with, it would be the .22rf...

My kids love it and refer to it as the 'cowboy gun'.

I'm more a sort of modern plastic fantastic myself, but shouldn't the Springfield M1 Garand .30-06 be in there?

Chris

I have always thought the Lee-Speed in .303 quite iconic. The 1874 Sharps is another that is pretty iconic in my mind (in 45-70 of course).

Back