Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gundog Prices

Gundog Prices

Is it just me or have i missed something lately.The price of a part trained gundog(In this case a ess) has gone through the roof.Some breeders are wanting 2,500 part trained,I know that feed has gone up etc and the time to train a pup to an adult is time consuming,But come on 2500. Im After another Ess but i wont be spending that kind of money.
    Rant over.
    Atb John.

My best spaniel cost me 145

Train one yourself!!

I'd say 2500 is quite cheap! That's the price of laziness.

My lab was 400 quid.All the docs.Great line too.Had her from a pup and gone through all the good and bad with her, but its all part of the bonding experience you want with your dog.
    Not meaning to be critical but not training your own dog is a bit like not knowing how to zero your scope and maintain your rifle.To me anyhoo.

Getting a pup this spring (lab ) I may get another later and train up as I have 3 spare kennels ,the likelihood of me being able to hand over a dog I had part trained for 6/12 mths possibly not .
    the price of dogs pups or trained is kinda relative to the popularity of the breed at the time too .

What people are prepared to pay sets the price.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

When you remove the cost of a pup its down to 2000 pounds, when you take into acount the time, food, running a car to get it to shoots, it does not leave much left.
    I have trained my own but i understand new people into shooting just go and buy one along with all the clothes and a gun
    All the gear no Idea
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    What people are prepared to pay sets the price.
    Very true Neil.
    Atb John.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    My best spaniel cost me 145
    In 1948

Have to agree its what ever they can get for the dog, but there are some genuine dog people out there who breed good working dogs at a fair price.
    truffle hunter, if the breeder takes all what you quoted into the price of a dog he is selling, then perhaps he should give up, as obviously they are a burden to him.