Cutting roe skull - help?

palmer_mike

Hi there,
i have a trophy, my first Roebuck which has great sentimental value for me. I didn't have it cut as we thought it might just make bronze, but after cleaning etc its clear from the weight that it won't.
id like to get it cut, long nose and mount it so I can hang it on the wall but I'm really nervous of doing it. I really don't want to buggier it up!
any one local got a sawing jig and be willing to show me how to do it? I'd appreciate someone who knows how to do it lending a hand!
Failing that I had a quote from a taxidermist to do it but I'd prefer not to spend fifty quid on it if I can help it.
thanks for reading this even if you can't help!
all the best,
mike

I personally don't know how to do it but could try this..

Another great video from jelen as well .

When you google "roe saw off jig" it says bushwear have them for £30 but a can't find them
On the link.
Am sure some one off here will help you out better though
David

Thanks for the heads up on the jig, I'll definitely order one of them while they are on offer. The video from jelen makes it look quite easy, is this really as was as it looks? Also the skull I have to cut is already cleaned and boiled etc, is this likely to cause any problems? Thanks for the tips.
deer man, thanks for the offer - might drop you a line after Christmas if I can't fid anyone nearer.
all the best,
mike

Mike, its not difficult just take your time, if you go slightly off, you can true it up with a an angle grinder easy enough, wear a face mask if grinding bone.

i did my own, first one id ever done with a bushwear jig very easy and fast to do, got a gold when it was measured so cant be that bad just tidied the edge with some sand paper, think ill buy another if there at £15 good luck

If you have dried it out do not attempt to cut it in a jig or with a saw - it will fracture and probably fall apart....

good tip above, if its dry a very thin slitting disc will work use a sharpie type marker to get a good clean line then cut, i tried it out on both fox and rabbit skulls to see if it works and works fine

good tip above, if its dry a very thin slitting disc will work use a sharpie type marker to get a good clean line then cut, i tried it out on both fox and rabbit skulls to see if it works and works fine

As above draw a fine line around the scull wear you want make the cut check its straight and cut using a fine toothed saw. I find using the fine blade on my dremill multi tool works great .
Atb Dave (Jelen deer services)

Back