CZ527 22 Hornet magazine feed Problem

Roebuck243

Hi don't suppose anybody any ideas why my CZ 527 is a pain to reload .
sometimes it will feed out of mag no problem sometime bolt skims over top of bullet ,sometimes it picks it up and sends it at such an angle too steeply.
In the dark this is very frustrating cos guess what this is when it happens !
I've shaved back plastic bit to accept home load lengths which is great but don't think it's down to this ,only other thing I've done is have action off stock recently and put back.
im not impressed with way bullet always lies in mag and doesn't land uniform all time .ive taken spring out and turned it round etc etc ive advertised for a spare one if anyone has one .
Any ideas ?

I had the same problem with my Remmy 700....turned out to be a simple matter of magazine spring tension. I just took the spring out and compressed it and stretched it until the tension was correct.

Hi It does it with Hornady bought ammo 35 gr and homeloads it's just a bit snaggy and I can't seem to be confident that it wouldn't let me down.
My homeloads are 1.8 inch If I remember.40gr v-max

If the rifle has never fed properly then it could well be a mag problem, however.........
I would guess the answer is either in the modified magazine, or possibly in the action out of stock bit.
It is not always easy to get he magazine well relocated in the action on re-assembly.
If the rounds are too long for the magazine it will not feed properly, there is no need to load long rounds for accuracy in the hornet.
Mine shoots anything around the 1.725" mark well, they feed well and never give a problem, I could load them longer but accuracy is unaffected and they don't feed well.

Neil. :)

If the rifle has never fed properly then it could well be a mag problem, however.........
I would guess the answer is either in the modified magazine, or possibly in the action out of stock bit.
It is not always easy to get he magazine well relocated in the action on re-assembly.
If the rounds are too long for the magazine it will not feed properly, there is no need to load long rounds for accuracy in the hornet.
Mine shoots anything around the 1.725" mark well, they feed well and never give a problem, I could load them longer but accuracy is unaffected and they don't feed well.

Neil. :)

That is about the limit on length. I load to that specific length and they feed well.

How on earth to you shot 40 gain VM through the magazine?? I never could. They are a single load proposition, only.~Muir

The 40gr v-max go into the mag no problem and will hopefully be a very good fox round , the 35gr v-max are also very good , they dropped 4 foxes other night without any problem.
id like to get the 40's going as I've heard they are better but as its a new rifle and the wind keeps blowing I can't test properly which is going to group best . In a gale force cross wind other day 40gr grouped about 1 1/2" but gave up as waste of bullets .
My main problem is the dam feeding of bullets bolt gliding over second or third bullet ,this is only now and again and doesn't happen all time .
If I could sort this or modify mag I've tried opening the mag bag end out a bit and trialling different things but no improvement ,I'm going to take action off wood again the mag does have slight movement if I unclip and clip back in it picks up a bullet that its just missed. I'm finding ways to overcome it but with hours of perseverance !

The 40gr v-max go into the mag no problem and will hopefully be a very good fox round , the 35gr v-max are also very good , they dropped 4 foxes other night without any problem.
id like to get the 40's going as I've heard they are better but as its a new rifle and the wind keeps blowing I can't test properly which is going to group best . In a gale force cross wind other day 40gr grouped about 1 1/2" but gave up as waste of bullets .
My main problem is the dam feeding of bullets bolt gliding over second or third bullet ,this is only now and again and doesn't happen all time .
If I could sort this or modify mag I've tried opening the mag bag end out a bit and trialling different things but no improvement ,I'm going to take action off wood again the mag does have slight movement if I unclip and clip back in it picks up a bullet that its just missed. I'm finding ways to overcome it but with hours of perseverance !
Had this very same occurrence with a Howa 7mm WSM, straight out of the box, first round pickup good, second or sometimes third would remain in the mag space, spring tension was the culprit, along with spring slightly bent off centre, (creating friction on side wall of mag space). took a good gunsmith to sort this simple at first sight problem.

Yeah yeh might not be far off there the top part of the mag you first press your bullets onto that says 22 hornet seems to lie not always square. Ill look further into that one but once Xmas past I can spend a bit more time on it. Mag does seem to stick on side walls now and again.
If I load bullet noses any further than 1.8 inch then the shoulder starts to disappear into the bullet and don't look good and probably aren't right!
i pushed noses in as far as I can these are .224 v-max 40gr over about 12.5 lill . I think will be lethal .

I have to load my Walther Hornet one at a time with 40 grain V Max but if I use 35 grain V max I can use the magazine.

The 40grain v max's are a lot longer that the 35 grain.

I have no problem with the gas checked lead ones I use for plinking

give the 35grain a try

Any possibility this may also (not solely) be related to an extractor not fitting correctly? It sounds like mostly a magazine issue, but occasionally these CZ hornets can have hiccups due to the extractor not snapping over the case rim when stripped off the mag correctly (or single loading a round).

Just a thought to throw out into the mix...

If you've taken the action out of the stock recently, I'll bet it is incorrect reassembly that is causing the problem. Had a similar problem years ago when I first bought my 527.
Take it out and start again( as the Actress said to the Bishop)
Ensure that the magazine fits properly into its groove on the bottom of the action. Use a screwdriver, a dowel or similar through the loading port to "wiggle" it into position. If aligned correctly, it should all go together smoothly and the action and stock are easily held together by hand. If it's not right, it feels wobbly and the action screws are not easy to align and tighten.
Hope that is of help
Peter

Hi yes it's all helpfull and good at saving time trying to getto bottom of it.
ill strip it down tomorrow and have a look again.

Back