Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bit of a strange one. 6.5x55 and speer hot core(1441)

bit of a strange one. 6.5x55 and speer hot core(1441)

took a good friend out stalking fallow earlier in the week. he is a long term shooter but has put his guns in storage due to very very slow renewal process.

Group of fallow came from the woods at first light and caught sight of us, they ran straight past and then stopped as they jumped the flooded reine. a pricked was selected as a cull animal. slightly quartered off. the shot went between two ribs but slight clipping on way past. the heart was soup and an exit hole was forward of front leg. the buck was shot at 70 yrds and dropped another 70 yards away.

gralloch was as expected with nothing strange to see. bleed out nicely and pluck was good to kept from pate.

My good friend was i need of a joint for another friend for christmas dinner so i only hung in chiller for two days. the skinning was a real eye opener and very confusing to say the least.

from half way down the back right to the ankles of front legs it the one big blood clot with lots of air bubbles in the blood.

back of near leg was clipped, in hole was 30mm round with one of the ribs having a tiny nick in it. there was 3 exit holes in a line about 6" apart and another small hole out the top of chest. It was a right mess. yet only the heart had damage. all other internals where fine and intact.

rifle is a t3 in 6.5x55 flavor
    powder is star load ofr R22
    bullet is Speer hotcore 140grain (1441)

not shot much with this rifle/bullet combo, in fact i have only shot 2 fallow, roe and 2 muntjac, oh and a fox. all have been clean shot apart from the last.

im thinking that the bullet as clipped the muscle on back of leg and then tumbled, clipped the rib and the exploded causing a mass of damage.

it would be good to have you seasoned shooters thoughts on this as im beating myself up a little over this and not wanting to go out with the rifle bullet combo till i can settle my mind.

thanks gents for any help or guidance you can offer.
    ll the best

I had a load of problems with Speer HotCor bullets - whilst accurate, I found them to be incredibly frangible on impact, usually breaking up into several large fragments and causing tons of meat damage both around the entry wound and at multiple exit wounds. They were far more destructive and unpredictable on impact than VMax bullets, which just make a big messy hole and a lot of small internal shrapnel wounds.

This was in a .270 and a .300 at relatively conservative speeds, whilst a friend had similar results through his .30-06. I moved to Hornady Interlock bullets as my day to day load.

Me too. We shot a few roe with Speer in .243 and it looked as though they had swallowed a hand-grenade. There were small 'shrapnel' wounds throughout the chest cavity.

Swapped to Sierra and have been using them ever since.

thanks guys. I think you might have answered my thoughts. I was told to try barnes TSX but it seams they don't do in 140gn.

I used Sierra 140's this past fall and had jacket separation on two of my deer; the jacket was found in the body and the core had exited. Had the same thing happen with 7mm and 30 cal PPU bullets last year. Seems to be a trend.~Muir

(PS: All of these deer were killed with authority, btw)

My Sako 75 6.5x55 hated the Speer and I couldn't get them to group within 2" at 100yds, so I swapped to 140gr Hornady SSTs (1/2" 5 shot group) as I need to be sure that once I pull the trigger, the round will go where I want it to...

Not used them myself, but I was told to go down a weight with the Barnes TSX to 130gr as they act as close as required to 140gr in anything else

Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

just been looking at the 6.5 bullets and weight retention. barnes tsx hold 100% but only 120 or 130. sierra match kind-29%. semi points-48%. amax-54%. cant find anything on intrelocs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5BulletTest[1].jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	22760 this is some of what I found. it might be of use to others.

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5BulletTest[1].jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	22760 this is some of what I found. it might be of use to others.
    Interesting chart

WHERE did you find it?
    I'm guessing that the source also had other calibre charts listed? Hope so anyway!