Fish Carving

willie_gunn

Not a deer, and not really taxidermy, but I just wanted to post this carving of a salmon that I've just picked up.

The photo really doesn't do it justice.

bb1e608838017ea0e5abd04325ae2bfd.jpg

willie_gunn

very nice. Is that a reproduction of a fish you have caught? I have seen some cracking taxidermied fish, mainly steelhead in the states. Most of the ones ive seen in the UK are those mutant ones that you get in old pubs (the fishes at hinksey has a few that are bad enough to put you off your dinner). Like the detail of this, are they sea lice carved on?

very nice. Is that a reproduction of a fish you have caught? I have seen some cracking taxidermied fish, mainly steelhead in the states. Most of the ones ive seen in the UK are those mutant ones that you get in old pubs (the fishes at hinksey has a few that are bad enough to put you off your dinner). Like the detail of this, are they sea lice carved on?

Pete

Yes, it's a fish I caught on the Urr last year. It's carved from a solid block of wood, so all the scales, sea lice, etc. are carved into the fish, based on photos and measurements that I had provided. It was done by Roger Brookes, and to say the guy is a genius is an understatement.:thumb: Here's a close-up of the head - sadly the flash on the camera does it no favours:

IM001365.jpg

I know what you mean about some of the stuffed fish out there. A friend of mine catches pike on the Avon and Test and, if they're over 20lbs, drops them off at a taxidermist near Salisbury who then stuffs them and sells them to pubs! I've had a char done before, but stuffed rather than carved, and for that I went to Phil Leggett in Bolton. He also did a great job, but of the two I'd go for the carving. If you fish catch & release waters, of course, you really have no choice.

willie_gunn

Can I ask what sort of price you had to pay for that? It does looks a lot better than most stuffed fish I've seen.

I've a fish in the freezer I'd thought about getting something done to but it got pretty badly damaged on the way off the hill. I'd googled for carved fish before but came up short, it'd be nice to have something permenant to make the memory, like you it isn't the biggest fish I've caught but by sure it's my favorite.

Brownie.jpg

Last edited:
I've a fish in the freezer I'd thought about getting something done to but it got pretty badly damaged on the way off the hill. I'd googled for carved fish before but came up short, it'd be nice to have something permenant to make the memory, like you it isn't the biggest fish I've caught but by sur eit's my favorite.

That is an absolutely cracking fish, no wonder you're proud of it:thumb:

The good thing about Roger is that he works from photos, so as long as you've got some shots showing the fish when it was caught he's good to go. That photo looks fine.

I sent him this one, plus a couple of close ups:
Benarmine029.jpg

The only other thing he requires are measurements for length (tip to tail) and girth.

He has a pretty full order book but, believe me, it's worth the wait.

willie_gunn

Thats fantastic i have never seen anything like that before i bet you are over the moon, atb wayne

Jon

Nope, missed the floods, though for a moment I thought the salmon was going to leap out and swim home ;)

Dom

Dom.

he could of joined the rest in the river across the fields from my place.

Counted 15 spawning beds in a 400m stretch. So hopefully should be a few to keep the numbers up if the bloody floods have not washed them out!!!!!

Jon

Back