Chickens

jimbo1984

Hi lads I know this is a little off topic but I'm looking for a breeder of minature English game fowl? I just thought one of you may know someone I want to breed and show them,

Many thanks jim

Hi Jim,

Can you be a bit more specific about the type you're after? Do you want bantams or lightweight largefowl? (There's different weight categories based on the old cockfighting rules).
Also, what variation are you interested in? e.g., Oxford or Carlisle? (The Carlisle is the more stocky type with less tail, the Oxford is more lithe).

i think im looking for something along the golden duckwing variety
goldenduckwingoebantamroo.jpg

Golden Duckwing is a colour variation. You can get Golden Duckwing in different sizes, and as either Oxford or Carlisle type.

Golden Duckwing is a colour variation. You can get Golden Duckwing in different sizes, and as either Oxford or Carlisle type.
my apolagies , i would be looking at the oxford :) and bantams basically the smallest variety availble

Last edited:
Jim,
My young lad earns his pocket money by breeding Oxfords, and he shows them at local events, with moderate success.
His are in the lightest weight category of largefowl (ie, they're just a little bigger than a bantam).
He's got Golden Duckwing and Black Red.
There's a few young birds for sale at the moment, but it's a long way from North wales to Yorkshire!
However, if you don't find anything closer to home he could send you some hatching eggs when they come into lay.

Hi lads I know this is a little off topic but I'm looking for a breeder of minature English game fowl? I just thought one of you may know someone I want to breed and show them,

Many thanks jim

Hey Jim
email this guy
Poultry Photographer: Rupert Stephenson | Chickens: Ducks: Geese: Poultry Photographer Rupert Stephenson

if you are on Facebook then ask to be a friend
the contacts this guy has in the UK and world is not to be sniffed at
when it comes to fowl of any species , little Robert is defo a guy I rely on
Best wishes

Jim,
My young lad earns his pocket money by breeding Oxfords, and he shows them at local events, with moderate success.
His are in the lightest weight category of largefowl (ie, they're just a little bigger than a bantam).
He's got Golden Duckwing and Black Red.
There's a few young birds for sale at the moment, but it's a long way from North wales to Yorkshire!
However, if you don't find anything closer to home he could send you some hatching eggs when they come into lay.
thank you very much ill be in touch :)

The oeg bantam is a smaller and stockier bird than modern game which is a tall leggy light framed bird almost cartoon like in looks
i can/will post you eggs if you like, but you will find them easily enough in GB they are one of the largest categories at a lot of the poultry shows there has to be a club near you

here this may help

Yorkshire Game Society

Last edited:
View attachment 22792View attachment 22793

like these old english game bantams is this what your after ?

I used to breed and show OEG bantams like this years ago. They're more like a miniature version of the Carlisle type, rather than the Oxford.
As Landkeeper says, they're very popular, so you shouldn't have any problem finding some.
The downside is when you start showing them - the classes are so massive it'll be a long time before you actually start having any success! In that respect, a slightly less popular type can be more rewarding.

The Yorkshire Society that he's posted a link to doesn't seem to include breed standards for Old English Game, only modern game and the various Asian breeds. However, if you google Old English Game you'll find there's loads of info available online (although some of it is quite contradictory, e.g., different names given to the same colour variation.).

Back