boresight

you dont need one,just bore sight it by looking doen the barrel.
1 find a point round 60 yards away (I use next doors arial box)
2 set the rifle on a bench so it do move
3 remove bolt and look down the tube at the object as per No 1
4 with the rifle set solid lift you head to look down the scope at your fixed point
5 adjust the x hairs to the fixed point
6 re check all of the above when your set up dowen the feild

you should be able with a little practice get withing a couple of inch of your target with the first shot

hi mate,

why don't you just boresight looking through the barrel at a small red dot or similar at 15-25 yds and move the reticle point 'to it'. usually gets me within 4" or so from 100yds. Then after the first shot, move the reticle 'to' the shot hole and your second should be zeroed, third to confirm and off you go :)

Yup. No need for gimmicky gizmos.
Firm rest, target and eyeball are all that are needed: at least, for rifles whose bore you can look down.

+1

A nice big A1 or A2 piece of paper with an inch grid on it makes it easier (work CAD + large format plotter! :D). Bore sight by eye is usually good enough to get it on the paper even at 100 yds, measure the distance on the grid, work out the clicks and adjust accordingly.

Even managed to do it with a .17 HMR

Last edited:
hi mate,

why don't you just boresight looking through the barrel at a small red dot or similar at 15-25 yds and move the reticle point 'to it'. usually gets me within 4" or so from 100yds. Then after the first shot, move the reticle 'to' the shot hole and your second should be zeroed, third to confirm and off you go :)

That's exactly the way to do it, start with a solid position. (Bipod and sandbags or similar)
Boresight - adjust reticle to match - BANG - Wizz, Wizz reticle to shot hole - Bang to confirm. Job done.

If you understand the basic principle it dosn't matter if your scope is calibrated with 1/8, 1/4 or mm clicks, I've seen countless rounds wasted, by even very experienced shooters, walking their shots in, a few clicks at a time or faffing around measuring and counting clicks.

The two shot zero is a trick every shooter should know.

Don't forget that with the barrel fixed in position the adjusting the reticule to meet the bore picture will mean moving the adjustments the reverse of what you would normally.

That's exactly the way to do it, start with a solid position. (Bipod and sandbags or similar)
Boresight - adjust reticle to match - BANG - Wizz, Wizz reticle to shot hole - Bang to confirm. Job done.

If you understand the basic principle it dosn't matter if your scope is calibrated with 1/8, 1/4 or mm clicks, I've seen countless rounds wasted, by even very experienced shooters, walking their shots in, a few clicks at a time or faffing around measuring and counting clicks.

The two shot zero is a trick every shooter should know.

it does completely depend on having a way to fix the rifle reliably in position though... Not always easy whilst you are adjusting the scope... Something shifts and you are back to square 1!

Back