Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting dog insurance?

Hunting dog insurance?

Just tried insuring my pup but seems they won't insure dogs used for hunting? Can anyone recommend an insurer? Is insurance worth bothering with as tbh I'm not into keeping dogs alive to suffer if they're seriously ill or have major ongoing health issues... on the other hand if he swallows something or breaks something I shudder at the thought of vets bills?!

That's what I got for Christmas in the form of a vets bill. Vizsla with a twisted stomach. I never had insurance but will be having it for future dogs.
    You don't have to insure it as a working dog, they dont get ill from working only usually injured and then how do the prove you weren't just out walking it.

Fair enough, can you recommend an insurer?

It's a minefield out there. What you need to do is find a company that you are happy with and stick with them. If you change insurance companies then anything pre-existing is excluded (and that can mean a few days lame at 6 months old can mean no payout when the dog gets arthritis 10 years later).

You need a policy that covers the dog 'for life', otherwise they stop paying after a year.

You need a decent claim limit - I suggest nothing less than 5000.

The cheapest quote is never the best. I know a number of vets who have their own dogs insured and every single one uses Petplan. Read into that what you will.

There are a lot of complaints of pet insurance not paying out, but almost all these stem from people not reading the small print - pre-existing conditions, excluded conditions, claim limits, failure to keep vaccines up to date, general exclusions (eg dental work).

Sadly vets not allowed to comment on particular policies but there are certain companies that are best avoided. If you decide on a company I am happy you PMing me the name and I can always tell you to keep looking.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I'm just in the process of searching myself so couldn't recommend anyone. It'll be interesting to see what other guys put on here. Ideally could do with recommendation from someone who's made a claim.

Thanks apache I'll have a look

Matt I'll give u a shout if I find anyone good

I'll get the mrs to dig out our polycy think its John Lewis but will confirm. My Weimaraner bitch has had 2 claims. 1. Rear flank almost ripped off by a terrier required many stitches. 2. 1" thorn went in between her toes and as she never limped it wasn't noticed until it started to swell up. Both required general anaesthetic and insurance paid up prompt only 75 excess

Petplan seems to be the most recommended - 30 a month though

Pet plan is very good had no quibbles, got a lab on long term med's they pay way more for medication each month than the insurance cover costs

NFU one of the cheapest and excellent cover