Using New cases

Edchef

Hi All
I have recently acquired 100 New .223 Winchester cases
Should they need neck sizing ?
Bullets seem very tight in them so I measured the neck internally on a few and the average seemed to be around 0.220 or slightly less in some cases.
should this be OK to go ahead and load without any further case prep?
What do you all think?
Seasons Greetings all
and Thanks
Ed

Tight necks on new brass isn't unusual although it will mess with your loads a bit.
in the past I've expanded new necks. with winchester i'd inspect flash holes etc, not unknown for their to be partial obstructions.

incidentally I had 2 nosler custom .223 cases with oversized case heads i.e wouldn't fit in the shell holder.

I always check new cases in a case gauge first and then use an expander mandrel on the necks, but don't trim to uniform length (unless out of spec) until after the first firing.

Even with new Lapua brass i ran them through a K&M expander!!!
Works the brass less and you have a uniform neck tension from the off!!

Tight necks on new brass isn't unusual although it will mess with your loads a bit.
in the past I've expanded new necks. with winchester i'd inspect flash holes etc, not unknown for their to be partial obstructions.

incidentally I had 2 nosler custom .223 cases with oversized case heads i.e wouldn't fit in the shell holder.

Interesting info Milligan.

Federal makes the brass for Nosler as I understand it so that could be why ie no difference in quality as such.

I recently lost 35 out of 50 of my new brass to split necks, due to not running through the dies before the first loading. The previous batch of 50 cases, which were sized lasted 6 firings. As the cases are around £4.00 a piece from midway this was eye watering. So yes I would recommend sizing.

You can always use new brass right from the bag, but I feel that your initial loades will be more or less wasted effort. Not that they won't be accurate! They may be very accurate. You just may not be able to repeat the results. You aren't using the same dies as Winchester and probably won't be borrowing them any time soon. The way to get around this problem is to FL resize them in YOUR dies. The ones you will be using the next time you reload and maybe the time afterwards. And another thing, the fact that they are all shiny and new in a plastic bag doesn't mean they are the same. Winchester and Remington both used to put a slip of paper in each box of brass saying that they should be resized to take out any irregularities that may have occurred during packing and shipping. As reloaders we hate "irregularities" in any part of our loads. Consistency in technique is paramount. All brass the same LOT, sized in the same die, trimmed to the same length... Right?~Muir

You can always use new brass right from the bag, but I feel that your initial loades will be more or less wasted effort. Not that they won't be accurate! They may be very accurate. You just may not be able to repeat the results. You aren't using the same dies as Winchester and probably won't be borrowing them any time soon. The way to get around this problem is to FL resize them in YOUR dies. The ones you will be using the next time you reload and maybe the time afterwards. And another thing, the fact that they are all shiny and new in a plastic bag doesn't mean they are the same. Winchester and Remington both used to put a slip of paper in each box of brass saying that they should be resized to take out any irregularities that may have occurred during packing and shipping. As reloaders we hate "irregularities" in any part of our loads. Consistency in technique is paramount. All brass the same LOT, sized in the same die, trimmed to the same length... Right?~Muir

I think you are absolutely spot on. I actualy had a similar conversation with a mate a few weeks ago.

Nutty

I always fl size and trim new brass, so I have the same starting point (control) for my reloads.
I have noticed some out-of-round necks in new commercial brass.
On rare occasions even a split neck or two. So sizing & inspecting is just part of the deal.

I recently lost 35 out of 50 of my new brass to split necks, due to not running through the dies before the first loading. The previous batch of 50 cases, which were sized lasted 6 firings. As the cases are around £4.00 a piece from midway this was eye watering. So yes I would recommend sizing.

That sounds like bad brass to me. May want to contact the distibutor/manufacturer. Cases should not split upon the first firing, unless they missed an annealing step in the final forming of the case. JMTCW...

Best to run the necks through the die at least as a big portion of them our out of shape then a chamfer

FL first then neck after, as said above means its all done in your kit and will remain the same throughout there life.

Back