7x64

Hales Smut

Out of curiousity, how popular is the 7x64 in the U.K. ? How do U.K users rate the calibre compared to more popular calibres in the U.K. On the continent, certainly in countries with a ban on military calibres, the round is very popular.

My best mate has shot his for years and it's his only deer cal it has also accounted for many foxs and ten times as many deer .gets ammo easy enough .
shoots munty through to red no problems don't seem a million miles from a 308 which he says he would get if he ever shoots it out .
norma

I use one. Think it's very good. Equivalent or perhaps better to .270/.280. Good range of bullets for reloading and very flat shooting.

The simple answer Hales is that while a very good cartridge it is unfortunately not very common in the U.K. Those that have rifles in this calibre generally have nothing but praise for the cartridge and probably travel and use it in other european countries.

I've often thought of picking one up seems like its a very good all round calibre kind of the 30 06 of Europe

I have shot most calibers but the 7x64 is the one for me i even had a full custom rifle built in 7x64.

regards
chris

Its an excellent caliber but not very popular out here. I think its down to availability more than anything, that and the fact there are thousands of 270's,280's and 7mm to compete with at less cost.
It would make a good all-rounder/open country rifle.
AB

I use the rimmed 7x65r version which I love. One of the first rifles I used was a mannlicher model m in 7x64 which I found to be a beautiful shooting rifle. 7x64 is not that popular - most go for the 270 or 308/30-06 if they want a big calibre.

Think of it as a continental 270 Winchester or, more closely, 280 Remington and that will give you an idea of its efficiency. It does, of course, pre-date BOTH those cartridges.

The huge advantage that it enjoys over 270 Winchester is that it is a true 7mm so has all those exotic TIG, TUG and Etc., bullets plus the heavier weights over and above 150 grains.

With 150 GRAIN OR LESS BULLET WEIGHT I actually think that the 270 Winchester is by far the better cartridge than the 7x64. :stir:

And if it were not so obscure in all weights, save the lack of those TIG and TUG and Etc., overall 7x64 is not as good "like for like" as the 280 Remington.

With 150 GRAIN OR LESS BULLET WEIGHT I actually think that the 270 Winchester is by far the better cartridge than the 7x64. :stir:

And if it were not so obscure in all weights, save the lack of those TIG and TUG and Etc., overall 7x64 is not as good "like for like" as the 280 Remington.

I've never cared for the 270 WIN with anything other then a 130 grain projectile . But my preference in the 280 REM/7mm Express Rem /7x64 has always been a 140 grain bullet .

I've had far greater success with the 280/7mm Express then I've had with the 270 WIN .

A few years back Remington made a run of 700's in 7x64 as well as a bunch of ammo . If my memory serves Remington saw fit to only load it with a 140 grainer and the velocity claims were the same as a 140 grainer in the 280 by factory ballistics .

Am hoping it's as good as you say, just ordered my first deer rifle in 7x64. The attraction of the large range of bullet weights is attractive. Those of us on the continent who can't use a .30-06 feel that the ability to throw a 170gr projectile is well.

ATB

Scrummy

Same to you Pine Marten! Yeah, gunsmiths are gunsmiths the world over and when there's a 2 week Christmas holiday involved....

Roebucks this summer would be great. When are you thinking? (Drop me an email).

Scrummy

The Steyr-Mannlicher factory was shut for three weeks too, but I can't blame them. I was off for t he duration too after all! Email on the way.

I use a 7x64 and love it mine is a CZ lux but I had it beddedd and installed pillars it is very accurate, it has a 1:8.7 twist so can stabilise the 175-180 grain bullets very well. It is accurate out to 500 metres and out to 800 metres if I play my part right, it wears a schmidt PM11 and I dial in for elevation and windage.

Back