Thread: new rifle

new rifle

when going to shoot a new rifle for first time do you guys do anything to barrel before putting first round down range

cheers adrian

Make sure it's pointing away from you.

Clean it. Dry it. Shoot it. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Clean it. Dry it. Shoot it. ~Muir
    +1... I then follow a "running in" process but am not convinced it makes any difference! - clean after every shot for the first 5 shots, then clean after every 5 shots for the next 50 shots. Like I said tho could be total bollox. Probably more about the quality if the barrel in the first place rather than any "running in" process... Can't hurt though!

If it's a bench or HB gun I'll go thru a semi break in of about 20 shots . But after that it gets it like any other rifle .

But I always clean the F outta them before I shoot them the first time be it new , used or custom built .
    GO Manny Pacquiao !!!
    Doubles , 6.5mm' s , 444 Marlin's , cast bullets , Sika Deer and the Philippines

Alotta guys here will get a new custom rifle and shoot 25 shots cleaning between each shot with Sweets 7.62 . Some will shoot once clean , twice clean etc until they get up to about 12 or 15 shots each time then reverse the process . I talked with a couple custom barrel makers and they both told me the same thing . "We love it when folks break our barrels in that way , it means they're that many shots closer to getting another barrel !" . So since that time I kinda think 20 or so shots cleaning after each 3 shots is good enough and I can do some load development while the barrel is supposedly breaking in curing or whatever one cares to call it .
    GO Manny Pacquiao !!!
    Doubles , 6.5mm' s , 444 Marlin's , cast bullets , Sika Deer and the Philippines

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Always, always, make sure that the barrel AND CHAMBER are bone dry. Also check all the screws are done up. Especially those from the action through to the magazine receiver.

So a good run through with a phosphor bronze bristle brush and then dry the barrel and chamber.

I have never, knowingly, had a rifle "from new" so have never done this fire five and clean routine.