scmidt 8x56 or duralite 3-12x50

ruby tuesday

decided to sort out excess gear to raise funds for a new scope with a budget of £600 have narrowed it down to one of the above just wondered on your opinions on which is the best.Will be used on a sako 6.5x55 just for stalking, like the simpleness of the fixed scmidt but like the higher mag of the zeiss wheh zeroing.Any ideas?

zeroing with a fixed power scope is all about choosing an appropriate sized aiming spot... I enjoy the simplicity of my Swaro 8x...

Have a look round for a secondhand schmidt 3-12, macleods of Tain will be worth a look otherwise keep browsing the classified section here

decided to sort out excess gear to raise funds for a new scope with a budget of £600 have narrowed it down to one of the above just wondered on your opinions on which is the best.Will be used on a sako 6.5x55 just for stalking, like the simpleness of the fixed scmidt but like the higher mag of the zeiss wheh zeroing.Any ideas?

Either are excellent scopes. The only problem with the 8x56 is if you are stalking in tight woodland it can be a bit much.

Sharing a rifle with my dad presents problems with fixed power scopes. I loved the 8x56 schmit hungarian that was on our rifle to start with, but a combination of his bloody useless eyesight and his love of foxing meant putting a variable power scope on, think its a 3-16x50 thing. Schmit all day long for me, love the simplicity of a fixed power. Like long range rob said, not the best in tight woodlands, but anywhere but the tightest, the thing is brilliant.

i love my 8x56 on my sako 308 but i have a variable sightron big sky on my .243, so its a choice that only you can make feller pro's and con's for both as both have good optics zero should not be your factor as jabalihunter states and is correct. i use 1" squ grid paper with one squ'blacked out and my spotting scope or a mate to spot for me or the flash targets are a good choice .
hope this helps
paul o'

PS just found this guy in the USA ON EBAY (lfcrock is the seller's ID) he has tonn's of scope for sale in your price range

Last edited:
as mentioned.

i like the 8x56 and have had 2, but woodland stalking is a pain with a base mag of 8,

now got the 3/12x50 duralyt and its way better for woodland stalking,# and foxing etc.

both scopes glass are very good, I'm after a tad more mag scope to replace the duralyt so that if i change cal then it will be a duel purpose rifle like the 6x47/6.5x47Lapua.

bob.

Personally mate Id try both out and see what reticle suited me the zeiss has alot finer reticle so would depend on what suited you. As said before tho both have quality glass.

What would make you choose a 6x42 over the 8x56 or the 3-12x50? Just curious. ATB 1995rs
personally ive found 6 x 42 a very good compramise between field of view and magnification its a good scope for woodland or on the hill where longer shots are sometimes necessary f it was an all round rifle for use in the woodland and hill thats what id pick,in fact i know of a couple of highland professional stalkers who have used this scope for over 20 years and no complaints

ATB jim

I have a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 on my .204 - I looked at loads at the CLA in 2011 & it stood out for he ££'s I did consider an S&B 8x56 but the variable mag won ;)

Back