Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice please

Question Advice please

I currently shoot with my .243 and love it for my Muntjac and roe stalking. I am however in the process of taking in some land with a large amount of fallow as well as doing some red stalking. I shoot 100gr through the rifle and i know i am legally allowed to shoot them with this combination but i cant help but feel i would be better of with a 6.5x55 or what really takes my fancy a 25-06. I can only really afford 1 rifle but i dont want to be blowing the front end off my roe and muntjac as they keep me fed at uni!

So my question is if i was to go for the 25-06 is there a load that would be suitable to take fallow and reds without too much meat damage to my muntjac? Or would i be better suited to the 6.5x55.

Cheers, Tom
    Hunted - England, Scotland, Poland, South Africa and Spain.

Just get your rifle re-barrelled to 7-08.
    That will take of anything in the UK.

100 grain 243 more than capable of taking fallow. Save your money!
    Atb Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    100 grain 243 more than capable of taking fallow. Save your money!
    Atb Steve
    +1 provided your bullet placement is correct, should be ok

I to was in the same situation about 6 months ago and changed the .243 for a 25-06 its a cracking round and i havent looked back. I'm shooting 117gr soft point federal the setup seems to work well on fallow and roe.

If you can justify it (to yourself, and yourself alone) go for the 6.5x55mm and use 140gr SSTs...

I have this as my one rifle/scope/ammo combo and there's nothing that can't be taken with it - inc. boar (IIIIIIIIIIINCOOOOOOOOOOOMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING! !!)

Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Having one myself i am a huge advocate of the 25-06, its an absolutely awesome calibre!!
    However - if you can only afford 1 rifle & intend to shoot munties & roe with it aswell then stick with the .243 until you can afford to buy a 2nd rifle.

The 25-06 will cause alot of meat damage on the small framed deer unless your head or neck shooting. You are not going to benefit a great deal given your circumstances IMO.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Thank you for all the reply's. Seems to be a lot of mixed views as i thought there would.
    Hunted - England, Scotland, Poland, South Africa and Spain.

Stick with your old girl and save for AFRICA!!!
    Aim Small, Miss Small