What's the best chronograph

Well spotted JCS.
Had seen some u tube footage compairing that model with the standard one, it seemed to be far superior.
I guess the price reflects this.

We have been trying out a borrowed kurzziet (spelling may be wrong) which uses IR instead of light screens. Can be attached to a computer and works quite well but it's about £700.00. This is a lot if you shoot it! Following this have looked at Magneto speed which attaches to the rifle and looks quite good. I think somebody on here is the uk agent? This was going to be the purchase choice but having seen the Haugland blog (sierra645 on you tube) the Steinert may be a better choice for us. I think they are around the same price £250ish. Other than that there are a few for around the £150 mark which rely on sky screens. I must stress the we have only had hands on the expensive one and are relying on Internet info. We need accurate velocity for ballistic programmes as the published velocities are not always what we are actually getting. For ease of use, no tripod requirement and less chance of shooting your kit, the magneto speed would seem the best choice

We have been trying out a borrowed kurzziet (spelling may be wrong) which uses IR instead of light screens. Can be attached to a computer and works quite well but it's about £700.00. This is a lot if you shoot it! Following this have looked at Magneto speed which attaches to the rifle and looks quite good. I think somebody on here is the uk agent? This was going to be the purchase choice but having seen the Haugland blog (sierra645 on you tube) the Steinert may be a better choice for us. I think they are around the same price £250ish. Other than that there are a few for around the £150 mark which rely on sky screens. I must stress the we have only had hands on the expensive one and are relying on Internet info. We need accurate velocity for ballistic programmes as the published velocities are not always what we are actually getting. For ease of use, no tripod requirement and less chance of shooting your kit, the magneto speed would seem the best choice

when you find out which is the best please let me know as i have seen all the cheaper chronys and dont have any faith in them.

regards
chris

Chris

Wonder why you are after a chrono ???? :rofl:

Myself and a mate clubbed together and purchased a PVM-2008 from Reloading Solutions. New Products - Reloading Solutions Limited - The Uk's premier source for Precision Reloading Products

It is the dogs danglies, very easy to set up, very easy to use. when used next to a Chrono Beta it gave far more consistent readings. It seems to be well built, the only down side is that it needs mains electric. It was not cheap so I am hoping it will last for a lifetime.

Regards

Ed

New Forest Wildlife Management

Last edited:
hello ed i am taking it out tomorrow and yes your right why , depending on the recoil i think a nightforce or something like will be going on top.

regards
chris

New toy Chris?

I know what you mean about faith in chronographs. In fairness i only have a cheap Chrony but have compared it to a mates. Regardless of make or cost, i would feel this a worthwhile thing to do.. My chrony seems good to be honest. The speeds used from the chrony have helped produce reliable data certainly out to 600yds.

hello mate happy new year to you the new toy is a 300RUM which is very nice.

And as for a chrony i only want to by once so i need to be sure it is right.

Happy new years to you too.. What make is the rifle? Thats a fair calibre, look forward to hearing how it shoots! Know what you mean about buying right the first time.. be interesting to see the recommendations for chronographs.. What would be nice, is to find someone who can calibrate such equipment.

The only quick way to compare chronographs performance would be to shoot through them all with the same shot so they'd need to be set up in line. - That would be a challenge!!
No two bullets fly at the same speed so if the above system of shooting over all at the same time isn't adopted, unless large numbers of shots were made over each chrono' all in the same conditions & mathematical statistics were employed, you couldn't be certain what accuracies were being displayed & you couldn't make a proper judgement from the results.

My old Chrony (10 years +) always seems to give god results as long as the light is adequate, not too strong & the battery is ok. It likes a cloud cover to work best. Sunlight sometimes gets it confused as does fluorescent light - but the instructions tell you that this would be the case.
I've considered making a lighting system so it can be used indoors maybe using DC powered LED lights above diffuser screens. - Does anyone know if LED lights flicker like fluorescents? I think not.

I like the idea of a system using a light curtain system as must be used for the infra red ones - that should be more tolerant to sunlight etc than mine. But while mine still works & I don't shoot it I'll not be changing it.

Ian

I have had a Chrony Beta for years and am very happy with it. As previously mentioned, it does not work under flourescent light, but has worked for me under any other lighting condition, inside and out. From airguns to high speed varmint cartridges it has given me consistent readings.

Chris. I don't know, but I am going to get one of these as soon as it becomes available.
Steinert SuperChrono, the Shooting SHED
Then we'll compare it to the chronos a couple of friends have.

Regards JCS
A Forum member has just reminded me that I made this post recently. Progress has been slower than expected and I only collected the chrono from the sorting office yesterday. Once we've had a go with it, I'll post some comments. Regards JCS

I wanted to get out and test my SuperChrono against a friends PVM this weekend however the weather was against me with Barton Road and Bisley both being closed, the good news is Thomas managed to get out and has posted this video. It is fairly brief but does show one string with the PVM v the SC with a ,5m/sec variance in average MV.

<br>

We have got our magnetospeed. Tested lightly but seems to show same average spread of results from the PVM. It does not do as much as the superchrono in as much as you cannot check velocity all along the projectile path, but we were won over by ease of set up, and being able to see and download the readings. So far so good.

I wanted to get out and test my SuperChrono against a friends PVM this weekend however the weather was against me with Barton Road and Bisley both being closed, the good news is Thomas managed to get out and has posted this video. It is fairly brief but does show one string with the PVM v the SC with a ,5m/sec variance in average MV.

<br>

strangley enough I watched a lot of his videos today whilst killing time. Watched him drive over one of those bags in a Hilux! What sort of money are we looking at for those cronographs?p

Back