Barrel Length: 30 ins both sets
Serial No:
Choke: 1/4 & ¾ Both Guns
Condition: Excellent
Price: $84000
Advertised: 2/01/2013
Licence number:
Phone:
Comment: A fine pair James Purdy & Sons Self Opening Hammerless Sidelock Ejectors. 30in. nitro chopper lump barrels, ribs engraved `J. PURDEY & SONS. AUDLEY HOUSE. SOUTH AUDLEY STREET. LONDON. MADE OF SIR JOSEPH WHITWORTH`S FLUID PRESSED STEEL`, and `1` and `2`, 2 1/2in. chambers, bored approx. 1/4 and 3/4 choke, self-opening actions with removable striker discs, toplevers engraved `1` and `2` in a roundel surrounded by fine bouquet and scroll engraving, automatic safeties with gold-inlaid `SAFE` details, cocking-indicators, best fine bouquet and acanthus scroll engraving, the undersides with the makers details, retaining much original colour-hardening and finish, 14 3/4in. well-figured stocks including 1in. leather-covered recoil pads, weight 6lb. 14oz., in their brass-cornered oak and leather case with some accessories, gold-tooled Purdey trade label and serial numbered charge label, with canvas and leather outer. Guns are in original condition last serviced by Purdey in 1992, have been part of a collection since and remain unused since then. An immaculate rare original matched pair of guns made during the height of London gun making. Genuine enquiries only.

With most of the London gunmakers I think the old saying applies , " if you need to ask the price , don't bother "
seriously though they can make anything from 10 grand to a few million depending on history and prestige .

On the face of it these are a bargain but you do need to satisfy yourself regarding the "excellent condition", even best London Guns wear out. atb Tim

On the face of it these are a bargain but you do need to satisfy yourself regarding the "excellent condition", even best London Guns wear out. atb Tim

A bargain if in "excellent condition" They will sell I suppose,will keep an eye on them to see how long it takes.

They were serviced by P in `92 so presumably ex con rings true.

I think you need to be very careful about "excellent conditions", e.g .they may be cosmetically excellent and the bores may have a mirror finish and throw a well regulated pattern but it may also be that the barrels are nearly worn out and other mechanical parts may be near their limits, this really is something for an expert to determine. atb Tim

Seems about the right sort of ball park. What you have to appreciate is that fine Purdeys / holland and Hollands should be viewed as investments rather than guns, especially as they are usually outside capital gains or Inheritance tax etc. Buy them, use them carefully and pass them onto your grandchildren who will be hugely appreciative. Much more fun than cash or some stocks and shares.

From the description £27k each seems on the high side to me, but I'm no expert! The description suggests a matched pair (not true pair?) of older 2 1/2" chambered guns, judging from the 'whitworth fluid pressed steel description'. If I was selling for that price, I'd have asked Purdey for a manufacturing date! Hard to tell without pictures, although it says unused from a collection. If so, why 'last serviced' - serviced more than once? and 'some tools' - some missing? Something not quite right there. No barrel thickness measurements, which are essential if you want to shoot them. I'd definitely want to have them appraised or the option to have them appraised and potentially returned if they didn't check out... But then I suppose it depends who the seller is and their reputation.

Jabali in the ad they have it shows consecutive numbers,does this make them a pair? I found more pics on JH`s site (NE) anyhow too much dough for me.

Btw re servicing it says "serviced and unused since service...I wonder now how much a Purdy service is,probably the price of a decent bolt rifle.

Last edited:
Just had a look. They do look like a 'true pair'; it was the two different terms used in the description which raised a flag and I misread the 'unused since the service' part. Nevertheless, the serial numbers suggest pre-1920 guns to me, so my guess is that the price is high...

I've never owned a Purdy , Holland or Boss !

But I've shot the hell outta some Greeners , Scott's and a Westley Richards for a number of years !

My first double barrel was a WW Greener tang safety boxlock I bought when I was 15 years old . Still got the old gun , I would hate to admit how many dove I've killed with that gun .

A good shooter Purdey in the USA now is most likely starting at $15,000 and then let your wallet be your guide !

The more easily priced ones here are usually older damascus guns that have been rebarreled . Or still damascus , personally I have no issue shooting damascus guns as long as I'm the one that loaded the shells .

forget a worn out Purdey, look around for a Dickson round action , the nicest guns ,a joy to take out on the hill for grouse, perhaps im biased ,i exchanged a old worn Purdey ,that i fell in love with the name,but it felt slab sided and heavy, for a Dickson in great condittion ,and made in Scotland,it must be the same with other makers ,unless you can afford the top flight ,you are honestly just paying for a name ,that at a price i could afford i could hardly read on the rib as it was so worn

Back