Shotgun chokes

Roebuck270

My Beretta O/U is choked half and quarter. I want to put slugs through it. Now im led to believe that half is to tight for slugs and even quarter maybe to tight. I was hopeing quarter is fine and thinking of having the half bored out to quarter. Any advice on this ?

Don't do it. Brenneke slugs have ribs molded into them to allow for use in choked guns not as some think to impart spin. Read what the manufacturer has to say about their particular product.
I've shot quite a few slugs through a double gun which was multi choked. I usually used the cylinder and improved choke tubes because they seemed to be more accurate but I have also shot them through the modified (1/2 choke) tube with no ill effects.

^ What Mike said!

There's usually a sweet spot where a little bit of choke is better than too much or none at all but it varies by shotgun and by slug type. Just make sure you buy slugs that are suitable for choked guns (most are these days) and try it before doing anything drastic to your chokes!

Alex

So guys do i asume putting brennekes through quarter choke is fine ?

Brenneke slugs (with the exception of the “Gold” and “SuperSabot” cartridges) are suitable for all types of chokes. Even a tight full choke is not a problem. The Brenneke design with angular ribs is not to create spin, but to ensure problem-free choke passage.

So guys do i asume putting brennekes through quarter choke is fine ?

Brenneke type no problem at all but sabot or home cast may be an issue so read up on them before thinking of using them. Sabot type slugs are really intended for use through rifled barrels which have no constriction (choke). Brenneke type slugs are the most popular type used in Europe as shooters use these in conventional shotguns while in the U.S. sabot type are often used through rifled barrels on pump and semi-auto shotguns and give much better accuracy at longer range.

My Beretta O/U is choked half and quarter. I want to put slugs through it. Now im led to believe that half is to tight for slugs and even quarter maybe to tight. I was hopeing quarter is fine and thinking of having the half bored out to quarter. Any advice on this ?

All good advice this far, I would contact GMK, who are UK Importers of Beretta, they will be able to help further

Thank you guys, all good info. I will also give RUAG a bell as they are the importers and see what they have to say on the subject.

All good advice this far, I would contact GMK, who are UK Importers of Beretta, they will be able to help further
:rofl:

Cylinder to half choke works for most shotgun slugs but as CSL said a lite choke works best .
Moddified ,1/4 choke tends to produce the best groupings through any of the shotguns that i have fire slugs through & in my old Benelli S&B 1oz slugs would group all 5 shots under 3" at 50 meters all day long.:norty:

Bob

Thanks bob, I have always put them through my section 1 shotgun with cylinder choke, but also need to use them with my Beretta O/U so this has put my mind at ease.

Back