One rifle - another one!

otisthedog

Some advice please wise fellows....

Started stalking (shadowing a mate) winter last year, bought first rifle early summer. Second hand Tikka T3 in .243. At the time I saw my shooting as mainly fox and roe, the odd red. Love the rifle - shoot GECO 105gr for everything - and since have had a few foxes, a roe doe and a 10pt red stag. The stag stumbled a few paces and fell, the roe dropped on the spot and the foxes, well, job done :). Happy how it's performed (albeit limited use!) so far.

Having got access to more ground since getting my rifle, I reckon my current and future shooting to be 50% roe, 40% red, 10% fox. I am now totally hooked on stalking and this year want to buy a rifle from new to last me for the forseable future.

Just got additional slots for .308 and mod, which I am allowed to use for deer and fox (ie. inc. lamping) and I intend to sell the 243 to fund the new rifle. Do not wish to have more than one centrefire.
My stalking is mainly small fields on woodland boundaries so the sooner they fall the better. The reds come pretty big round here too! As a relative novice I won't take long shots and I like the 'mellowness' of the 243 :rolleyes:

However, looking at other possible calibres. Have shot (briefly on ranges) .270 (modded but still found it a touch angry... wuss) 6.5X55 (really liked it) and .308 (very nice to shoot, three pals have them).

So in my rambling way I am asking for suggestions. Stick with what I have on my ticket (308) or look to 'one up' from 243, ie 6.5X55 or maybe something like 25.06.
I only use - and only intend to use - factory ammo, sorry - lazy.
Pretty sure my local RFD stocks all of the calibres mentioned above.

Really don't want to know which calibre is 'better', more which you think will suit me (after reading all the waffle!)

Thanks in advance ;)

Tim

I think that all will do everything you ask of them. I would suggest you keep an open mind until you find a rifle that you like and fits you well. Different stock designs can have a huge impact on percieved recoil that can turn a pussycat .308 into some sort of snarling beast that will make you flinch each time you fire it. (trust me my first .308 almost had me crying out 243 in my sleep!! but when I got my second one it was far more comfortable with less percieved recoil by far)

If you have a slot for another deer rifle it will be easy enough to do a one for one variation to a slightly different calibre should this be necessary. If you are not too far from Steve Beatys place he will often be able to allow you to test fire before you buy.

They fall over whatever you use. Sounds like you have settled on a couple of contenders. Personally I do not like 'lobbers' but different weights and bullet types will give you a good all-rounder.
You won't get much better than your .243 though...........

I think that all will do everything you ask of them. I would suggest you keep an open mind until you find a rifle that you like and fits you well. Different stock designs can have a huge impact on percieved recoil that can turn a pussycat .308 into some sort of snarling beast that will make you flinch each time you fire it. (trust me my first .308 almost had me crying out 243 in my sleep!! but when I got my second one it was far more comfortable with less percieved recoil by far)

If you have a slot for another deer rifle it will be easy enough to do a one for one variation to a slightly different calibre should this be necessary. If you are not too far from Steve Beatys place he will often be able to allow you to test fire before you buy.

Thanks for that - been toying with the idea of visiting Steve as it happens.

Understand what you mean about recoil on different rifles... my T3 243 is very pleasant to shoot - smooth. Yet my pal's 308 Steyr Pro Hunter (ok weighs a bit more I suppose) is even more comfortable... REALLY smooth, seemingly less recoil than mine. Very much like both - proper 'working' tools.

I went for the 308 slot as at the time it seemed most likely. But with the intention of swapping the slot if I changed my mind :)

Seems that your needs are one of the few times when a 25.06 or even 257 Weatherby Magnum appears to be the optimum choice!

Use 117 grain bullets so flat shooting for foxes but with all that velocity killing on larger deer and ensuring quick killing too.

But make sure to insist on a full twenty-four inches of barrel!

This advice being based on your ever only using factory ammunition of course. Garlands at Edingale near Tamworth have stocks of Weatherby rifles.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you could rely on a shop having 257 weather by ammo in stock! Capable though the 25/06 is, I personally would consider the 270, 308, 30/06 and 6,5x55 to be better choices as bullet weight is severely limited with the 25s.

Is a .243 not the same as a .308 just necked down for a smaller bullet? would there not be similar recoil?

It is, but you are throwing out 50% more lead so increased recoil (Einstein's theory relativity).

Oh I think that just plain old Newtonian physics will do fine for this, equal and opposite reactions and so on. After all, the "C" in "E=mCxC" (can't work out how to do a superscript here) refers to the speed of light of 300,000 km/s and I don't think even your home-loaded wildcat rounds achieve that. Otherwise you'd have to aim at where the deer used to be due to the effects of time dilation.

.308 is a no nonsense caliber with quite a versatile bullet weight offering, granted the lighter bullets are not the most efficient but the caliber will do all you want in spades and have easily available ammo in the offering. I'll always have one in my cabinet. Recoil shouldn't really be an issue here unless there is something wrong with the rifles build, or your technique.

Don't really see the point of the .25-06, loads of powder, lots of flash but not of the versatility or grunt of its close cousins the .270 or .30-06.

By now you've guessed that caliber choice is a personal thing! :)

As there has been a number of these threads lately, I think we ought to be careful we don't stumble on the ultimate rifle. If we do the powers that be may decide we can only have ONE of these ultimate rifles. The gun trade wouldn't be too pleased either.
Just a thought.

Based on your described requirements and benefits, might I suggest the 6.5x55. Most owners I have met love this round and coupled with 140 gr nosla partition it is devastating. If you decide to go longer range in windy environments a heavier bullet in .308 might be preferable. Enjoy your new rifle whatever you decide.

I have a 243 & 308. They are both excellent but if I had to Choose I would keep the 308. It will handle anything and I really don't notice the increased recoil.

ATB

Rob
243Sako

I agree that any of the cal's listed will do the job and rifle comfort=accuracy is prob more important. But I would also add 7mm-08 to your choice?

Based on your described requirements and benefits, might I suggest the 6.5x55. Most owners I have met love this round and coupled with 140 gr nosla partition it is devastating. If you decide to go longer range in windy environments a heavier bullet in .308 might be preferable. Enjoy your new rifle whatever you decide.

That's the one that I'd kind of settled on (until I change my mind). Very much enjoyed shooting the one I tried. My brain tells me 308 is the sensible choice, however I would probably go for the 6.5.
Discussed all this with my regular stalking mate this eve who has much experience and level-headed. He didn't say anything but just grinned. Then said "save your money and keep your rifle."
Will likely stick with the 243 for a while as I do love it and has done everything asked of it (ok not too much!) so far.

I shoot the 6.5 for everything good calibre especially if you reload I shoot 100g balistic tips for foxes and 140g sierra gamekings for fallow had two 6.5 s and both have been very unfussy with bullets shooting them both near enough (as expected 100g 1 inch higher) at 100 yards to use the same zero.

My thoughts on it are, and this is from using a 308 (currently) and having had several 243's and 25-06 among others.

I think you are right to look at what the rifle will be used the majority of the time on. Providing it is then also capable of fulfilling the minority roles as well then perhaps the 243 is one to stick with. 105 grn is quite heavy for the chambering and some rifle because of their twist rate may not shoot accurately with that weight if bullet, but from what you say yours does.

The only fly in the ointment with how you describe the requirements your rifle has to fulfil on your ground, is the expectation of having the large reds drop quickly, because for that there is no doubting my mind the 243 is not the first choice. Although the 25-06 is only adding 15grns or so of bullet weight the speed Itis travelling at compared to the 243 means a lot more energy being delivered at the point of impact, so don't just look at the step up in bullet weight alone. Will 308 be passed by your force for fox, because I know some may not do that?

Your pal is right, in that the 243 will do the job, just like many other chamberings. But for me, a split of almost 50/50 on roe and big reds, I would up the chambering if I had the means to do it. Even sticking with say a 120grn bullet for all your shooting out of the 25-06 it will deliver a lot more energy on the target, and still be a good, usable round for fox and roe.

The only fly in the ointment with how you describe the requirements your rifle has to fulfil on your ground, is the expectation of having the large reds drop quickly, because for that there is no doubting my mind the 243 is not the first choice. Will 308 be passed by your force for fox, because I know some may not do that?
Your pal is right, in that the 243 will do the job, just like many other chamberings. But for me, a split of almost 50/50 on roe and big reds, I would up the chambering if I had the means to do it.

Hi Jamross,

Thanks very much for your detailed response - much appreciated and we are thinking along the same lines. Also, the fox part of it all can be seen as an afterthought - only really required when hens start to go missing on the family and friends' farms. By the way, my empty 308 slot has been granted for deer and fox.
I plan to stick with what I have for a little while, and look to the same rifle but in 6.5 or 308 (although 25.06 very popular round these parts!) when funds allow. It might be that I don't change for ages but only time will tell.

Thanks once again

Tim

Back