Good news and bad

Grandhubert

Well the bad news is that I'm going to be unemployed after the 30th of this month, the good news is that I should be able to manage financially until the end of the end of the Sika rut at least! :D

I've decided to take the summer, and a goodly portion of the autumn, off and go stalking a lot.

I'm off to my patch in the Scottish borders for a week on the 9th July after Roebuck and Sika stags, then back again for the Roe rut a week later, a week or two after that for a bit more Sika, and so on until the fallow rut starts and then off for a red with Ian in Devon!

Any and all tips would be appreciated as this is the first time I’ll be stalking completely on my own.....

Needless to say, I can't wait.

Herewith the packing list:

Rifle
Binos
Rangefinder
Boots
Cammo
"Subtle" cammo
Knife
Roesack with liner
Latex gloves
Length of webbing
map/fac/permission etc
Mobile phone

The beat is 1500 acre valley divided between flattish fields and commercial forestry with a stream running through middle of it.

The Plan:

Stalk into the wind and keep an eye out for deer.

Are there any more methodical ways of scouting out a new patch? :eek:

Some form of midge deterrent!!!!!!!!!!!

Stalking sticks, dog, spare knife, camera, bottle of water.

You will have a great time Amir, you have made me very jealous.
I'm sorry to hear about the job scenario and wish you all the luck finding another when you are ready.

All the best

Steve.

Right ammo has been added to the packing list :oops: :lol:

Thanks for your kind words Steve, i'm not too worried about the job TBH, something will come up.

I'm more concerned as to how to approach a completely new patch of ground without someone holding my hand the first time.....

Grandhubert said:
I'm more concerned as to how to approach a completely new patch of ground .....

Amir,

Maximum stealth will be needed, so may I suggest you approach from the air, at night (Mr F will be able to furnish you with basic equipment and a few handy hints ;) ).

Once on the ground, fashioning a pair of wooden antlers with your survival knife (complete with compass in the pommel) and draping yourself with the skin of recently killed deer will, I believe, enable you to be 'as one' with nature and therefore able to pass unnoticed amongst your quarry, for the purposes of counting thereof. You may have the back comb the 'tache to be entirely convincing, plus you should adopt the method acting approach of living entirely in the character of a deer prior to your departure.

As it's new ground and in 'foreign parts', you'll need to be aware of pygmies at all times...pesky little blighters. Don't worry about the midges though, as after the first 20 years and 50,000,000 bites, you'll barely notice them.

Simples.

Adam.

new patch

just relax and enjoy yourself enjoy the surroundings and you will be ok best of luck tom

I'd be more worried about what I would do if I shot one! Out in the wilderness all on your own. And dont forget about big cats just as it's going dark.......

Have a good time
If you get one just remember to tuck your shirt in or the little wee beasties will get you.
Paul :lol:

Sorry to hear about the job fella

Drop me a line when your next off down to Ians and i will see if he can accomodate me for the weekend aswell..

All the best

Terry

SOunds like a plan Terry!

I'm not sure how much stalking i'll be able to get in though, I still havn't finished that spit.... :oops:

Thanks for all the advice lads.

It was a enjoyable and successful trip.

I've put a report up in the articles section if anyone is interested in the details.

ATB,

Amir

Back