Starting point

Stringer

Ok - so now I can buy 200 bullet heads (see previous thread), have a load of federal once fired cases, Modern Re loading & ABC of Reloading and am going to buy the Lee Kit (I think) some time soon.

I want to develop an all round load so to speak. It'll be used mainly for Roe, but I have been told there are Red on my ground (yet to see any)as well so will have to be legal for them. Also plan to book a few days at hinds later in the year and dont want to have to re zero. As rifle is .243 and I'm in Scotland we are looking at a 100g min bullet.

Rifle is Sako .243win 20" Barrel with T8 Mod (1:9 twst rate I think)

Looking for some suggestions for:

- Bullet type/manufacturer
- Powder
- Primer
- if anyone is loading for a similar set up whats your favoured load.

I realise that all guns are different, just looking for a starting point that I can tweak.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

I use a SAKO 75 in 243WIN and are currently reloading with Hornady Interlock 100Gr BTSPs.
30 Gr H4895 + Federal primers/cases. Its grouping at 1/2 inch at 100yrds but I have no idea of fps as i do not posses a chrono. Tried working up from this but found bullet strike went all over the place. Thats not to say yours would though.
John.

I use Vit 160 in my Sako Forester .243, 23" barrel.
85gr Sierra Varminter 46.5Gr of Vit160
90Gr Speer Hot Cor. 41.7Gr Vit 160
I appreciate you are after 100 grain but hopefully it will give you an idea.
CCI200 primers

I would check the twist rate before going much further, to ensure the barrel will stablise 100gr

favourite .243 loads

Hi Stringer,

My favourite load for Roe and foxes in Scotland in a BRNO ZKK601 .243 with a 23.5" barrel is

Bullet - Nosler 95 gn ballistic Tip
Powder - Varget 34.5 grain
Primer - CCI 200
Case - Whatever i have at the time!
Seat depth - .02 to .05 off max OAL (.02 is more accurate)

This shoots 2950fps ish and groups less than 1" consistently in my rifle. (Bipod and sandbag at rear of stock)

Hope this helps

Stew

RED ROUND

Hi again,

Just noticed that you were primarily after a Red round. Reloading with a .243 with a short barrel length you,ll need over 2810fps to get 1750 ft lbs. I have sometimes found this to be a bit trick and had to sacrifice a bit of accuracy for the extra speed.

Powder - 42 gn Reloder 19 or 41.5 reloder 22
Bullets - Hornady interlock 2453 or 2450 100 gn ( Nosler Partition work too)
Primer CCI 200
Seating Depth 0.05" off max Length

These group between 30-40mm at 100 yds through my BRNO.

Hope this helps

Stew

Back